Author Topic: Building a pond in another language  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Building a pond in another language
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
I've been struggling with the design of the pond at my house, I think mostly due to language problems.  I speak some spanish and my architects speak fairly good english but neither of us have pond terms and concepts in the other language.  I could tell that when I tried to describe what I wanted for the pond, not much was getting through.   I almost resigned myself to it and had decided to just have them build it how they thought of it and I would try and re-do it when I had time and hopefully my language skills had improved.  I have so much else to deal with now, and the pond was not as important as the house.  Still, it bothered me.  I wanted at least the plumbing to be right since it will be a concrete pond. 

Last week a friend told me he had a friend of a friend who had designed a pond for my friend's father.  I went to see it and it was beautiful pond with nice filtration and healthy fish.  So, I went to their aquarium store in the mall, got his office address and stopped by there yesterday.  We still have the language problem but at least he is familiar with the concepts I'm talking about and we look up or describe the words we are missing.  His english is not very good so I'm doing most of this in spanish.  I'm learning some good words but some just aren't available.  He found an Argentine pond builder's web site in spanish with some drawings and some vocabulary so I could point at something and figure out the word.  This is not speedy stuff, let me tell you.  It turns out the word we were having the most problems with, bottom drain, is ... are you ready?  el bottom drain in spanish.  or, at least that is how it is referred to on this web site.  Of course, it is pronounced differently which explains why we weren't figuring out what each other was saying.  Whew!  Can you imagine for a moment the possible misunderstandings that can result from trying to describe "bottom drain" in another language?  I think I hit all of them  {:-P;;

What also doesn't help at all is that I can't draw a stick figure that is recognizable.  I mean, I can't even doodle well.  My attempts to draw pond stuff for the architects - who of course are all good artists or they wouldn't be architects - was really laughable.  They were trying to be nice so they would look at my scribblings and turn them this way and that and finally have to admit they had no idea what I meant to draw.

I'm more encouraged now, the pond/aquarium guy has agreed to meet with me and one of the architects at the house on Monday and at the least, he will explain the concepts of biological filters, gravity fed pumps, and aeration needs to him.  I think we've agreed that I will buy all of the pond supplies from him and in return he will supervise the installation, until he knows what is involved he says he can't give me an actual quote.  That seems fair and we'll see how it goes on Monday.  At any rate, I am encouraged and I'm once again actively thinking about how I want the pond to be instead of just resigned to making whatever appears work.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Building a pond in another language
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »
Building a pond is tough enough without the language barrier...sounds like you are on the right track.  Can't wait to see the finished pond(s).  Would love to see progress photos!  ;)

Happy Mother's Day Jonna!

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
joahnna everytime youve got a problem like that jsut tell me i think i can help, ok
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Howell, I will accept your offer.  Right now I am not sure where we are with the ponds.  The pond builder came over and spent an hour talking to one of the architects, I thought it was going well.  However, when I ask no one has talked to him recently and I am not sure where that is going.  it may be that they just listened to him out of politeness and are going on as they intended to do it anyway.  It's hard for me to know. 

I know very little about concrete ponds, it's not common here and the ones I do see are also covered with a liner.  I'm not sure why that is.  This pond will be finished the same as the swimming pool, concrete over brick and with a sealer of some kind.  I think I will just fill it and put plants in it and maybe one poor goldfish and see how it goes. 

There are a lot of pond and aquarium stores in Merida, it's a popular hobby. I just don't know the right people I guess and I don't have the language skills to really join a club or even to participate in the forum you sent me.  I can read Spanish fairly well but writing it is more difficult.  I admire your English and the fact that you just jump in and write, that's hard to do in another language.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:59:54 PM »
even though im american i was born there i learnd spanish first because of my parents but then english then we moved back to mexico, so i learned more spanish so then i went back for middle school and  highschool, so i did highschool  and middle school there haha, i know i misspelled lots of words but whenever your young you just do that in fact that i still do the same in spanish and im batter talking than writing i cant never ever make a good sentence it does not matter what language it is, yeah i know it is so hard, plus yucatan spanish is so darn bad, but now sometimes i whenever i go there i feel more mexican haah, and something related to your pond i guess they are gonna do it as people in spain and argentina do all the time just using concrete.
next time make him post all the details in here in spanish so i will tell you what he is saying ok

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:26:46 AM »
Yeah, I just wish I could get him to write it down!  I'll try.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:42:29 PM »
ok so then i will be waiting for it ok, anyhow hope your pond is getting better want some pics

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 07:18:12 AM »
Oh Jonna - Thanks for the laugh this morning. Bilingualism is not the snap some people think.

I went to South Africa when my mother moved back some years ago. In her new house, she roused me from my hangover induced coma (hooking up with a bunch of college friends til very late the night before) with the news that her new gardener had arrived, and he needed a 'haak'. What on earth is a haak I muttered - at that point I didn't care who needed what. I don't know my mother said, but he needs one now, and apparently you can get one in a hardware shop.

Feeling like a prize idiot, I go into said shop, with "I am not sure what this is, but I need a haak". "Certainly sir, metal or rubber?" Turns out it was a rake. Gardener spoke no English, and only limited Afrikaans / Dutch. We learned quickly - but at least it was not technical stuff like plumbing!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »
When we were in Greece last November I was looking at the menu, which was in Greek of course, and I asked the waitress about something on the menu.  I, being a typical American, know only English.....and a little bit of Spanish......and sometimes the fetching Mrs. Mikey claims I don't even know English very well......  Most Greeks speak English but this particular girl either didn't speak English or chose not to speak English......  In any event, I recognized something on the menu that I knew I liked, Gyro......  So I was expecting to get something similar to Daphnes gyro, a nice thick pita bread with filled with sliced meat from the vertical rotisserie , lettuce, tomato, onion, tzatziki sauce etc.....  What I got was a platter with only the meat, nothing else except for some lettuce..... ?)(?

I can only imagine what surprises lie in store for you in the next few weeks as your pond develops....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:30:10 AM »
Well, I remind myself that I moved here to keep my brain active and young.  It should be working as I do have to think a lot more than I did in the US.  I'm over on the coast now, it's cooler and more pleasant on the beach in the summer than in an RV in a city.  We will return to Merida in the next week or so and I will again try and figure out what is going on with the ponds.  You know, part of the change in me that is really beneficial from moving here is that I just don't sweat stuff like I used to.  If it works out then great, if not then I have a project to work on. Right? 

Language, what a huge thing language is. I never really realized how much it shapes how we think and even how we feel.  It's amazing to me but I see things differently if I'm thinking in Spanish than in English.  If something looks really bad and unfair and just not right.  In English I'm appalled and mad about it and want to speak out.  In Spanish I feel like 'well, what can you do' if I say something someone will be offended and then they will be mad at me and that's not beneficial. So, maybe I should just keep my nose in my own yard and if I can help somehow I will do it.   

This is one reason that I think our kids in the US should be learning another language, just so that they understand that how they see things is not the only way to see it and that others may see it differently.  I probably don't make much sense writing this, it's a hard concept for me to express. 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 06:41:31 AM »
well i do understand what youre saying?
well i know both languages and yeah it is difficult because sometimes you just dont know if your saying it the right way either english or spanish, and you can messed up, and there is a huge difference btw mexico and america, but i still like both

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »
I agree Howell, I too like both countries a lot.  I think a lot of the differences are between English and Spanish colonies, they definitely left an imprint on these lands they used to own.  Belize is interesting in that you can see quickly the differences between the 2 colonial owners.  It's not huge but it is distinct.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 05:14:48 PM »
yeah i agree and if you go to argentina there is a whole different language, and i barely can understand sometimes,
so meaning that even in countries with the same language are differences and lots, so do you have some mexican friends down there?, or just american?
have you ever heard in spanish sayin something like que pedo? in english being like what fart? haha

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
Oh yes!  No hay pedo is commonly used to mean no problem but the literal meaning is 'there are no farts'.  This was the cause of one of my more embarrassing (there's another word that can get you in trouble*) moments in Spanish.  Back when I was in my early 20's I spent a year working in Mexico City.  I was living in a home with a family and they were very, very straight laced and very proper, also very religious.  The son was close to my age and we hung out some, he took me to some concerts and I met his friends.  One evening at the house, his mother asks me to do something and I immediately got up and replied "No hay pedo" because I'd just learned it as meaning no problem.  Well!  She looked at me for a minute, realized I had no idea what I'd said, crooked her finger to her son and took him into the other room.  He told me later that she gave him a serious scolding about teaching me bad words.  So, that's how I learned how to say fart in Spanish!

*embarazada is a false cognate that can get you in trouble.  It does not mean embarrassed, it means pregnant! 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »
*embarazada is a false cognate that can get you in trouble.  It does not mean embarrassed, it means pregnant!
lol lol lol

I can imagine many situations where this would not be prudent!  ;D

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 07:45:39 AM »
thats so funny hahaa
yeah embarazada is kinda like embarrassed haha please dont tell me you have been thru that one too haha
but yea que pedo?, no hay pedo haha,
like in front of your dad if he speaks spanish and you both wispering first omg im so embarrassed and he saying what ok estoy bien embarazada and your dad will be like whattt?, haha thank god im a guy haha

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"