Author Topic: Wind power and Cool cottage (new pics)  (Read 2464 times)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wind power and Cool cottage (new pics)
« on: October 08, 2006, 06:15:39 PM »
I went for a long bike ride today. It may just be our last beautiful day this fall. Mid 70s, and like Joyce said in another thread, the tourists were out in droves picking pumpkins and getting all that fresh fall produce. and EVERYONE was out and about.
this is a a windpower  station about 80 miles west of here. There are about 20 windmills and they were all going today.

This isn't the best picture of this cottage, but I have seen it once before on a backroad on the way to see my son in college. I took the long way to get to his college. I followed the Wisconsin river for quite a few miles. It should take 1 1/4 hours but it took me 3!
I'll try to get a better one some day, but as you can see, it is very unique.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:31:39 AM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Wind power and Cool cottage
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 07:06:48 PM »
I want that cottage!  8-)~
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »
Hoe Lee Cow, what a beautiful cottage.  8-)~ o(:-) Love the stonework, the arch, and the cool windows! I'll bet the person who lives in there feels happy.  (8:-)

The windmills are wonderful. I'd love to have a real windmill generating any amount (not picky) of electricity.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:25:47 AM »
What a beautiful cottage, so serene.  o(:-) Very lucky people who live there :) Interesting windmills :)

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:36:50 AM »
Hoe Lee Cow, what a beautiful cottage.  8-)~ o(:-) Love the stonework, the arch, and the cool windows! I'll bet the person who lives in there feels happy.  (8:-)

The windmills are wonderful. I'd love to have a real windmill generating any amount (not picky) of electricity.

That is really a neat cottage.  More pictures sometime would be wonderful!

Karen we have 2 windmills.  One is 30 years old and needs a major refurbishing.  The other is on top of a mountain close by here and runs a radio repeater for a neighbor of ours.  Hubby loves building them, which is good because the winds up there have destroyed the blades a number of times and one time burned up the windings.  I can't imagine the wind speeds that are needed to do this..but it's cooking!
Mary

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 09:08:12 AM »
Awsome,I love that cottage  O0 O0 O0.  I bet with the wind we have here we could generate electricity with one of those windmills.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 10:15:15 AM »
the cottage is not a lived in home, but a vacation cottage. I'm sure that the next time I go by it, the leaves will be off and I can get some better pics. It is simply amazing!

Here are the stats for the wind generators for those interested:

Wind turbine type  Enron Wind 1.5 MW Series wind turbine

Turbine height  Approximately 330 feet from base to blade tip at highest extension

Turbine hub height  Approximately 213 feet (65 meters)

Turbine weight  Approximately 184,000 lbs. (nacelle, hub and blades)

Foundation  Concrete cylinder 10 ft. wide by 18 to 28 ft. deep

Footprint  15.65 acres, consisting of 14 ft. tower base and access roads

Concrete  167 tons per foundation (186 full concrete truckloads)

Tower  Tubular steel

Tower height  Approximately 207 feet (63 meters)

Blade length  Approximately 112 feet (34 meters)

Rotor diameter  231 feet (70.5 meters) - 10% longer than the wingspan of a jumbo jet

Revolutions per minute  11-20 (one revolution every 2-3 seconds

Swept area  41,995 feet per turbine - 1.7 times the sail area of a flying clipper ship

Steve

My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 12:33:23 PM »
Lovely cottage.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 01:15:49 PM »
frloplady, Wow. Can you send hubby here to build one for us? I think they are amazing.

I wonder how much energy I could generate here- too many trees I suspect.

I've clicked on this thread a few times now, and every time I look I see something else in that cottage. Like the hole in the roof for the tree, and all the different stones. It really is unique.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 06:01:59 PM »
Steve,
I am wondering about those windmills...a company has approached many of us farmers in our area to lease our land to them to put them up.  Of course they want many of us to do it so they have a "grid".  I am skeptical since they will put the windmills up where they want them, right in the middle of a productive field and also access roads to them for service.  Our power company then HAS to buy power from them.  I like the idea of generating power from them--no polution--but wonder how these companies are to work with and our loss of revenue from losing prime farm ground  :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 06:09:42 PM »
Kittyzee,
Check this site out. It is the one that I pictured.

http://www.renewwisconsin.org/windfarm/montfort.html

Steve

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 07:38:28 PM »
Thanks Steve, I've bookmarked the site.  I want DH to check it out too.   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
Re: Wind power and Cool cottage (new pics)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 10:34:08 AM »
Couple more pics of the cottage

Steve

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:46:38 PM »
Oh that cottage is quaint... don't Hansel and Gretel live there ;)

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 08:31:54 AM »
Steve,
I am wondering about those windmills...a company has approached many of us farmers in our area to lease our land to them to put them up.  Of course they want many of us to do it so they have a "grid".  I am skeptical since they will put the windmills up where they want them, right in the middle of a productive field and also access roads to them for service.  Our power company then HAS to buy power from them.  I like the idea of generating power from them--no polution--but wonder how these companies are to work with and our loss of revenue from losing prime farm ground  :-\

Loss of revenue??  Make the lease more than the revenue you would lose.  If they want the land badly enough....
Mary

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 08:46:08 AM »
Great Cottage!

Where my dh's family lives, there are I believe over 100 of those windmills. They are awesome to see both in use, and on the back of my dh's truck :)
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 02:07:48 PM »
Those wind towers look to be the same specs as the ones that were just put up here last year.  We have 83 of them in the area I live. 

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"