Author Topic: Well, it finally happened.  (Read 1263 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Well, it finally happened.
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »
I had company over last week to pick up some plants and discuss the pond club. She has a koi pond. We walked down to the pond where my fish are at the moment when I noticed foam on the water. She then pointed out that there were eggs all over the rim of the stock tank. Koi eggs. I'm not sure if any survived as I've not seen any babies. Would they have gone to the bottom after they hatched? As I've might have mentioned before, I'm not a koi person so I know very little about their spawning habits.

Oh, and when we were moving the fish, we found what we think is baby Tilapia in the cooler. They have been left there as a nursery for them.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:54:21 PM by PondmaninFL »
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Well, it finally happened.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »
 O0 Some people have all the luck.  Now you'll have lots of koi.

Did you raise tilapia before?

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:11:45 PM »
If you have males and females in the same pond, some will survive. :)
They are so tiny at first - you may just not notice them. They are the size of brine shrimp.
Most baby koi starve to death in a pond without additional food. The food they have to eat has to be smaller than themselves.
Then the bigger fish may predate on them.

But some WILL survive.  @O@

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »
Annette, I had bought tilapia two years ago at a local pond store. The hose to the filter came lose and drained the pond. The koi, goldfish, shubunkins, and rosey red minnow survived but the tilapia all died. Most of those were 12+". I had picked up some from a woman that I met a couple of months ago at the doctor's office. These were to big for goldfish babies but we'll find out as soon as they get big enough.

Thank you Sunbeam56. There is some green algae on the walls and we're talking a big blue stock tank that has a rim around it so that smaller fishes can escape if they need to. Of course, they could also be sucked down into the lily tank and have no predators at all. By the way, your avatar looks familiar but I can't remember your name.

I don't think any of the eggs survived. I look around the edge every morning when I go down to clean out leaves and may see a few stray babies that were found in the cooler that my wife released. I'll keep my eye out any how. Whether I have babies or not is no big deal.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"