Author Topic: Some more gingers heliconia, in my garden this time  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Some more gingers heliconia, in my garden this time
« on: July 04, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
Plus an orchid I promised someone. That orchid is super, it flowers all year as you can see buds coming up all over the place and almost in an unbroken line. Also it branches very freely and in a compact manner. Highly recommended. It's a Thai one. I have almost exactly the same in yellow and another in red.

The first one the Cordata hybrid is four foot tall, very sturdy and dead straight, this is what it looks like after our typhoon last week. Very very suitable for pots and naturalising in full sun, unlike its parent who needs dappled shade. It will take shade but then grows to about five feet and the flowers are somewhat elongated. Hardy to 10%c very easily kept over winter in colder climates as everything dies down completely and the whole pot, if in a pot, kept dry in a shed untill spring. No problem with overwatering, loves it in the growing season.

The heliconia is hardy down to 10%C-50f and very reliable. Not sure I love it very much it looks a bit garish, but it certainly adds interest.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:13:02 PM by Cedric »

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Some more gingers heliconia, in my garden this time
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
A beautiful tropical paradise you have there Cedric O0
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:21:57 PM »
Gorgeous vanda!  o(:-)
I love the heliconia too!

Great shots, Cedric!

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:39:55 AM »
Thanks you two. We are having a few days of good sunshine at last, i thought it would never come. I just got in an enormous antique feng shui dragon pot, took five men to lift it onto the trolley, been busy positioning it all afternoon. It's very old but in tip top condition miraculously.

I spotted it on one of my hikes in a three house village garden. Believe it or not it was being used as a kiddies swimming pool, water pistols and all. I saved it and bought the kiddies a plastic one after much pleading and a little sweetener in the form of cash, a real bargain I must say. Its exactly one meter diameter inside and 77cm high. Beautiful green crackled glaze inside and a pair of lovely dragons swirling around the outside. They've had it three generations apparently. They thought too old fashioned already so let the kids use it. I can just imagine the size of the kiln they must have used to fire these things.

What a performance to get it up out of the village on a steep winding foot path. Took three days, I was very very tempted to call in the helicopter, then I realised it would've flattened the garden, one typhoon is enough in a month. Now its here today at last unscathed. Very proud. Going to put a lily in it and two very lucky goldfish.

Apparently they got it to the original village, according to the great grand mother anyway, on a fishing boat, but the small fishing village is long gone and grown over with big trees and vines. Sad, just a few gables and stone walls left.

Always making work for myself. >:(- Life is one big project isn't it?

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 05:16:26 AM »
That sounds like an amazing pot and of course the history that goes with it. Congratulations O0

And of course you are going to post a pic?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »
Even before the photos, I envy you that pot.  :o

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 11:51:40 PM »
Will do when I get back next week. Moment it's already half full with rain water. The two fish that are going in are happily swimming around in a large plastic concrete mixer with bunches of interesting weed being rooted, waiting for the move. Lovely little blue blooded rotund calico pearscales all the way from Suzhou, beutifull black striped flowing tails and "flippers" and dainty pointed heads. Plenty of room for a third, but I will bide my time till the perfect trio can be complete.

I just love the way these little fish  trust you immediately and completely. Lack of speed I think makes them philosophical about danger. First day they were just a little skittish, but second day they had already thought what the heck. Even when the dogs take a drink now they come rushing up to kiss them on the lips, silly things. Not fussy eaters that's for sure.

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:01:28 AM »
Garish? I love garish in plants! I was so proud of my heliconia until I saw your pics. Mind you, I am pushing the envelope in a Mediterranean climate here to do this, so I think I am lucky to have got any blooms.

My parents lived in Hong Kong in the late 60's, (lucky me - I scored two years at boarding school in South Africa), but visiting for the holidays, I remember lying on a little beach near Repulse Bay even in December - a warm climate you have there.

Waiting for pics of that pot - and it being hauled out of the village if you have those. Got all the elements of a short story there Cedric.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
Please don't mention that pot to me at moment, just don't. You want garish and pot you got it. Just dont mention that pot again. There should be a Chinese proverb, I certainly can damn well think of an Afrikaans one! Starts with Kak.

That little beach is still wonderful, small world ne, they still have the same "cafe" selling the same calbee "ethnican" chips (still dont get the sp for Mexican) and a few cool drinks and ice cream, think its just past middle bay. Was it at the end of a long walk along the road to a dead end? Both are nice, in fact my favorite when I lived on the Island istelf ;).   What boarding school did you go to? I was in boarding school for ever.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:37:17 AM by Cedric »

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 07:45:15 AM »
I was at Queens College. If you know anything about Eastern Cape school rivalries, and there is no reason why anyone should, my gradfather went to Dale, my dad to Selbourne, and my brother and I to Queens. I'll swear we were the only kids whose father had not been at Queens too, let alone at "that other place". I had a cousin at MichaelHouse - as close to Natal as we got.

Wow - please tell me those are fake plants. Sort of a plastic Made in Hong Kong novelty. Incredible. I'm trying to think back, and cannot recall ever seeing anything like that before - including steamy greenhouses in botanical gardens. Wow.

Cheers,

Mike

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
I promise I won't mention that pot but I envy not being able to take large items beck home like that nowadays.  I remember way back when airlines didn't care what you brought back overseas as long as they weren't responsible for breaking it!  And I used this privilege to the hilt until too many rules and regulations hit the s#%^!"  >:(

I have many things I've had to leave behind or walk away from in my travels and the best were from Asia.   :( But in case you want t talk about "that pot" we'd love to see photos too!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
The lobster claws on that heliconia are amazing!  I never knew they grew so long.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »
No I mean yes all real. MikeW I went to Hilton. Er Queens? LOLL!

Miguynmkol I think all the restrictions are a good thing, the number of antiquities that simply vanished from Asia and elsewhere was scandalous. Not to say you helped any but these things properly belong in national museums. I still get a chill when I visit The British Museum in London and see what is for all intensive purposes vast collections of unashamed plunder. There are of course exceptions where items or collections have been saved from the ravages of war, but it is no consolation when you the holding nation where the aggressor. These things should be returned where they belong.

Luckily you don't see so much now being offered to tourists in Asia from places like Thailand or China, but with a sharp eye you can still find treasures, in which case its best to work with the authorities and to see if it isn't best donated to a national collection.

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 05:23:13 PM »
Ja ja ja Cedric - ek weet

Groete,

Mike

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »
I enjoy looking at your pics.  Your flowers are so unique to me, beautiful and different.  Keep them coming.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Cedric

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 08:33:04 PM »
Thanks Kim, been very busy at the moment no time for pictures. The equestrian Olympics are also starting and I intend attending every event so Im working like mad to make sure I have many afternoons and evenings off to do just that.

The garden is looking wonderful right now. The rain has at last stopped and everything is flowering , but it's hot hot hot and humid this time of year, it was 98%f in the car park yesterday,90% humidity. Everything standing up well except the frilly (double) waterlilies which tend to burn by the third opening in the mid 80's, not at all impressed, a tropical should at least be able to take tropical heat. Not so?. Must say I am most disappointed in these, they are so glorious the first day, but just don't live up to it :(. Charred upside down mops are not very attractive.
The others are all looking stunning going into a flowering frenzy. Even the ones I bought but a week or so ago are already loaded with buds.

"Jewel of Burma", however is my favourite number at the moment. Wish you could just scan a garden into the computer, would love to show it off. Its also rather poignant at the moment given the hardships being endured by the Buddhist monks in Burma itself, because the bloom is the wonderful glowing colour of their flowing robes as the gentle morning sun shines through.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:36:03 PM by Cedric »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"