Author Topic: New camera, LOTS of pics including my first LILY PONS!  (Read 1080 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
New camera, LOTS of pics including my first LILY PONS!
« on: July 24, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »
We got our first digital SLR last weekend--the Nikon D60 (the D60 model replaces the D40X--Nikon no longer is making the D40X). Finally got some good blooms today!

I went out to top off the containers this morning as we've had nearly 100 degree weather and lots of evaporation. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw this pink bloom slightly under a pad. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was the Lily Pons I purchased from Kat back in June! Whoa!

Here is is opening up

I also got to come home for lunch today and got a couple mid-day pics. Hubba hubba!  o(:-)

Also blooming were Pink Grapefruit

A yellow hardy with the slightlest hint of pink

Another view of the yellow hardy

A tiny Walter Pagels in a cool ceramic container. It's surrounded by some giant duckweed from Kat and also full of tiny black tadpoles from those noisy frogs or toads that croak from about 10 p.m. on (the neighbors have mentioned how obnoxious they are...we love it!)

Also, when I was topping off the pots this morning, I noticed a really large toad/frog hopping around slowly. I thought it was a hunchback or something at first glance. Here's an up close with the camera...they must be the parents of those hundreds of tadpoles in the WP container!!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:46:10 PM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New camera, LOTS of pics including my first LILY PONS!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »
Wow, very nice!!  O0
Love the Lily Pons. I got one from Kat this year too but mine is just limping along. Won't see any blooms this year. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »
I got a lilypons from Kat too!!  Still waiting for 1st bud!  Yours is beautiful!  As are your other blooms.

The frog pic is xrated, don't you think?!?!  :D ;)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:02:09 AM »
LOVELY pictures! Is the new camera usre friendly?
 I think those are toads.
Kathy

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:24:58 AM »
Great pics & you've broken the record for the fastest blooming Lily Pons.  The blooms will get less pinched looking as the tuber matures & more pink.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:58:26 AM »
Hi all,

Thank you for the compliments. I must say, the Lily Pons blooming can only be attributed to Kat. I went and picked it up out of her pond and put it in my pond. A few weeks later I repotted it into a larger pot since it was sending up so many pads, but she did all of the hard work! I just get the essentially instant gratification!

The camera is pretty easy to use. You can only look through the view finder, not the screen on the back, so that will take some getting used to. I've always used Nikons, so that might be helping with the menus, etc. I bought a matching case with extra battery and a user book, so I've been slowly going through it.

Thanks again!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 06:41:35 AM »
lol on the frogs....

I love the lillies! That lily pons sure is pretty.

tinkster

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
You're in Texas, aren't you?  Those look like the Gulf Coast Toads we have all over Houston.  With the recent rain (FINALLY!) they have been - well, doing the hunchback thing. 

I also have Rio Grand Chirping Frogs and this spring acquired somehow a squirrel tree frog, hopefully more. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"