Author Topic: Terrestrial lily shots  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Terrestrial lily shots
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »
Just some shots of my day lilies and asiatics-a good assortment of color
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Terrestrial lily shots
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »
great color - and nice thick foliage too.
How are you treating them?
I seem to either under or overwater - can't seem to get the knack. Altho, bless their chlorophyll hearts - they keep living.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
Honestly, I hardly ever water them at all....unless we are having a dry spell.  These lilies have been quite prolific and are growing in not such great soil.  I pretty much ignore them, and they do well  lol  Maybe that's the secret!  I tried to put the tall asiatics in behind some of the bushy daylilies, which seem to "hold-up" the stems of the taller, floppier asiatics and that seems to help keep them off the ground.  A hard rain, or lots of wind (which I ALWAYS have) lays them over, so this seems to work for me.  In the spring I try to remember to put some osmocote around the base of them in the dirt.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »
Beautiful for sure o(:-) , but what some of these folks don't realize is that like Gloria here, you have taken over some pastures for your plants. (were talking really good dirt @O@ @O@ @O@ here)
Your'e doing it right there Kittyze. O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »
 lol Steve, true!  AND I have barns full of the stuff in all stages of composting to the really fresh  :P to the kind that I don't mind putting my hands in.  One thing I've learned in my many years on the farm:  a cow patty may look dried-up and old (like a buffalo chip) but if you step on it; it's mushy in the middle!  :o   ::)  Not good with flip-flops  @O@
LuAnn

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »
OK, Kittyzee,

Here is what you do: You take over your husbands pastures closests to the road, plant perennials, maintain them, and sell them by the road, You know, in the yard under a tree. (nice sign out front) In no time you'll have several pastures, full of perenialls, you'll be making more than the farm and loving it.

Jeez, I jsut about forgot, you might jsut be vice president next year. ( youl'll have to put this on hold till you get kicked out of office)
Steve
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:49:16 PM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Cedric

• Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 11:55:45 PM »
Excelent idea, who can resist a bunch of truly fresh flowers for their loved one.  ::)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:07:54 PM »
Is that top daylily photo of Always Afternoon? I have one blooming now and it looks just like it.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:25:55 AM »
I'm not sure LeeAnn, I put the tag in my tag drawer and I can't find it.  I was hoping someone would recognize it and tell me what it is!  ::)  I've never had a daylily with so many buds waiting to bloom, it should be spectacular in a few days.
LuAnn

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:39 AM »
Here are some pics: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/7023/
there are so many daylily cultivars though that it is really hard to say for sure.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »
Really beautiful.  I have a bunch of daylilies too.  I don't do anything special for them either.  Just let'm grow.  Like you said in droubt, I will give them a drink.  Other than that nothing.

KIm

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
Lovely collection of Day Lilies!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"