Author Topic: Lotus question, depth.....  (Read 799 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lotus question, depth.....
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:41:27 AM »
My Mom bought me a lotus yesterday!! (the president)
Question... Is it o.k. to put it in the pond and have the bottom leaves in or just above the water? It's in a tub already and I just put it on the bottom, figured it would reach up like the lillies do.

Am I correct that I do not cut any leaves under the surface of the water?
Kathy

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus question, depth.....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »
I am not sure that the leaves of a lotus are like those of the lily that will reach up to whatever water level it grows in....I seem to remember reading something about not submerging the lotus leaves....

You are correct about not cutting the leaves under the surface of the water though.  The stems are hollow and are a direct conduit to the tuber below.  Supposedly you could drown the tuber this way, or at the very least make it more suceptible(spelling?)  to infection from nasties in the water.  Cut the leaves above the water line if you want to remove them.

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:46 AM »
Thanks,
I (well, DH) moved it to a platform so it's about a foot higher than it was. I didn't realize how many leaves were underwater. I think it will be better off now. Might still be a touch low, but should be o.k. can't wait for the bud to open!!
Kathy

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »
Thanks for posting this question.  I was wondering this as well.  Right now my lotus is not doing so hot (no pun intended) in the heat (103F and 101F 2 days in a row) so I'm hoping it will limp along until my new pond is done to put it in.

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"