Author Topic: My little stocktank has a crack  (Read 1037 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
My little stocktank has a crack
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:08:36 AM »
It hasn't been a real good ponding season for me.   :( :'(  First the leak in the waterfall.  Now the crack in my inground stocktank.  I went home yesterday to a very low water level pond.  Fishies were fine but I was worried.  Added more water but it started to go down almost immediately.  DH couldn't find where the leak was from so we stopped the pump.  Water was still going down so we knew there was a crack in the stocktank.  I checked the water level every 30 minutes and by 11.00pm, I couldn't stand it any more so I took all my fishies out but 2 (couldn't net them, they were the fastest and smallest).  After 45 minutes of normalizing the temp of pond water with my fish tank water in the house and mixing some fish tank water with it, I put the fishies into my aquarium.  It looks so crowded in there but at least they are alive and can at least swim around.

The big pond is about 2 weeks away from completion.  Then it will be another few weeks to get the water cycled, etc.  I hope the fishies don't mind sharing close quarters for a month of so.  This also means I'll be monitoring the water very closely and do water changes frequently.

Wish me luck.  DH couldn't understand why I was so worried about the fish.   >:(  Sometimes I really want to knock him upside the head.   >:(-

Kuan

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My little stocktank has a crack
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:29:14 AM »
I've had several stock tanks crack. That's the down side to them BUT, they make good compost containers after they do. As for the fish, my husband doesn't "get it" either.   ;D  Hope things improve for you :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »
This may be a good reason to finish the new pond quickly!  ;D  I hope your ponding troubles will go away now.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:23:18 AM »
Sorry, Kuan.   I hate it when you are working on something, and then get dragged away to something else that has become an emergency.  I hope your fish do OK in the temp tank until the big pond is finished.  Maybe you can split them up somehow?

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 07:45:15 AM »
Sorry Kuan! :(

Have you tried this epoxy marine stuff before?
Works GREAT in boat hulls that get cracked.
We use it here at work with some of our water features and to seal cracks in some plumbing.
Must be fish safe cuz none of our jobs that we have used it at have had any fish fatalities.

http://www.epoxygator.com/aquastick.html

http://www.epoxygator.com/

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »
All my stock tanks are old and rusted but I put a liner in them. An oval one that is above ground I have used a pool liner. I need to line the other 3 old stock tanks.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »
Thank you for your support and kind words.  It was too dark to find the crack last night so I will need to figure out where the crack is today to see if it is repairable.

Thank goodness I've asked for next week off. O0  I will need to work on the new pond FAST!!

Joyce - Thanks for the link. O0  I bought 2 sticks so hopefully they will arrive quickly.

Lining the tank - Didn't think about doing that until you mentioned it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I may look into doing that if the Aqua-stick can't repair the crack.  Will need to look into whether I have leftover liner from the new pond too.  Then this can be my QT for new fish or sick fish.  Worse come to worse, I will use it as a compost tank like Kay suggested.   ;D

As for splitting the fish - unfortunately I don't have any more spare tank for it. :(  But if the fishies are stressing out in the aquarium, I'll buy a new one.

Thanks everyone.  I really needed the support.  I'm just a worry wart by nature and DH thinks I'm over-reacting.   >:(-

Kuan

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »
Oh gee, don't talk about stock tank leaks!!! Mine is covered on the outside by rocks cemented together.

Hope you get your fishies happy soon.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"