Author Topic: How do you start lilies from those things that grow on top of the pads?  (Read 749 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My wonderful new free purple lilies are the kind that have little babies starting from the center of the pads. 

I have one of the leaves detached and floating in the tub with the baby koi.  The mother leaf is about gone, and the baby has two tiiiiiiny leaves, plus two roots starting to curl around where it attaches to the original pad.

How do I turn these babies into lily plants?

Thanks.

Julles

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How do you start lilies from those things that grow on top of the pads?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
Julles
There is a tutorial made by Sean for his friend called "Fun with Propagating Tropicals "that addresses propagating by viviporus (spelling?) plants like yours.  Its pretty good. 

http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=806.0
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:31:37 PM by greenthumbnails »
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How do you start lilies from those things that grow on top of the pads?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »
Get a gallon size bag that has a "zipper" type closure on it, add about 1/3 bag full of pond water, put in the viviparous starts in the bag, float the bag in a sunny part of your pond, check the bag every couple of days & change the water as needed, & when the starts are big enough to plant, pot them in small containers with about 4-6" of water over the crown.  Try to have the babies where they will get direct sunlight & no other lily pads crowding them.  I've been able to kick start many viviparous pads/plants this way but there are some that don't survive either. 

You can also do this same method for a healthy viviparous pad that has a well developed node, especially during the hot months.  One key is the water temperature must be warm enough.  I've found 1 pad per bag works better than crowding several pads into 1 bag.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:33:41 PM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"