Author Topic: Hand Feeding Hummingbirds  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hand Feeding Hummingbirds
« on: October 14, 2006, 10:32:35 AM »
These aren’t my photos.  I received them in an e-mail and I was quite impressed.  We have hummers as year-round residents here but never this many at one time.  Hummers are quite territorial and often protect their feeders.  We recently put up a second feeder and have noticed that the hummers are not quite as territorial now as they were with just one feeder.  We have also noticed that we now have at least three regular visitors to the feeders but they still only visit one at a time at each feeder with the others usually nearby keeping an eye on things….  I’ve challenged the fetching Mrs. Mikey to see if she can get them to feed out of her hand……

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Hand Feeding Hummingbirds
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 11:56:49 AM »
 o(:-)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »
Oh wouldn't you just love to feed the hummers like that? It would take a lot of patience.

My stepson had on a shirt this summer with a bright red flower on the front. He was working in the landscaping just under his feeder. A hummer came around front of him and buzzed around for a while and then decided that flower wasn't real and went up to the feeder.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 04:22:29 PM »
Oh Man, wouldn't that be cool tho!?  I'm lucky if I can get two hummers to hang out in my backyard, but they do come.  I have lots of flowers that they love, even if I have them growing in less than ideal conditions!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:38:57 PM »
My new goal for 2007 is to hand feed humming birds. We are already hand feeding the squirrels. Most of them are timid but there is this one brave little squirrel that torments the dog and will sit on the porch rail and wait for us to bring out the peanuts.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
Wow. That is very cool!  o(:-)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline kaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 03:09:50 AM »
Absolutely fantastic!!!  Make sure you keep us up-to-date with Mrs Mikey's progress on meeting the hand-feeding challenge (8:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"