Author Topic: photos from the farm gardens  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
photos from the farm gardens
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »
First one is a lily I call "Bart's Crazy Red" 'cause I have no idea what it really is!  Quite small, perhaps 3" diameter at most.  First ones of the spring are quite pink then they get more red in colour as the summer marches on.  Usually has multiple blooms and does well in sun or shade parts of the pond.

Second lily is "Black Princess" which I really love.  Does best in the full sun.  Doesn't usually get more than one bloom at a time.

Third photo is looking across the pond to the water fall.

Bart

Offline Bartman

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Re: photos from the farm gardens
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 05:44:42 PM »
First in this series is Gentiana dahurica which is an Alpine plant.  The deer ate most of them off this year >:(-  but a couple buds were left to bloom.  Good down to zone 2 and seeds itself everywhere which may be a bad thing later.

Next is the standard Tiger Lily which grows well here.  I have tried a white version of this, but they could never make it beyond the second year.

The third is a Sedum which I could not find the tag for.  I have it planted in a tiny amount of soil in an old piece of driftwood by the pond.  Comes back year after year.

Last is my Jack Manii Clematis.  I had two other planted with this one, but they seem to have died.  This one grows like a weed.

Bart

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:07:24 PM »
Wow, is that your pond and waterfalls?? I don't remember seeing your pond in the past.  My first reaction was, I needed to go right away and get a shove to dig a bigger pond.  I did get over that quickly.   ::)  The pond is so lovely.  Maybe I can come some times and camp on the shore some times.  o(:-)  Oh, and the lilies and other flower are great too.   8-)~

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:21:37 AM »
WOW that is beautiful... o(:-).....and i want  a waterfall like that......... >:(  lorraine
lorraine

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »
I like your waterfall too!  Nice plants, especially the blue alpine plant

Offline iriscottage

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »
gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
Thanks everyone.

It's not a big pond.  Probably 300 gallons at most.  Waterfall has had some issues with the rocks falling out from under the spill stone so that is fixed now using a styrofoam rock I made, some foam and some time to gather the algae!

Bart

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 05:27:12 AM »
Beautiful!
You made a rock from styrafoam? What did you do? Sounds so much easier than my fiberglass one, cheaper too!
Kathy

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:32:48 PM »
The rock was very simple.  I took 1" thick styrofoam and cut pieces to stack up to fill in the spot.  I then used silicone to glue the pieces together.  A day later I took spray foam and a bucket of sand and smeared it all over the creation.  This part didn't work as well because the spray foam didn't like to stick to the styrofoam, but with the same mixed in it gave it enough texture to be okay.  I then used the spray foam behind the "rock" to glue it into place.  I braced it into spot so as the foam expanded it wouldn't just push it out.  I left it sit for 24 hours then trimmed any spray foam that got out of control.  It was pretty much hidden with algae within a month of starting up the waterfall.  There is a small "rock" to the right of it that was made the same way and you probably can't even spot it.

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"