Author Topic: Another room from my house remodeling  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Another room from my house remodeling
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »
Yay!  The bathroom!

Needless to say, the photo on the left is from the previous owners.  This room was just about completely gutted and started over.  I did reuse the sink cabinet with a few modifications.  That is a stained glass insert in it made by one of my friends.  The existing cabinet had something wrong with the wooden door in one spot and no paint or primer would stick to it.  This was the solution.  There are two other 1950 Sci-Fi movie posters that you cannot see (much smaller in the corner to the left when you walk in).  I like white bathrooms and this sort of reminded me of a 50's era look so I went with the posters.  One friend found that idea very cool, the rest either don't comment or say, "Interesting..." which I think is polite for, "He has lost his mind."

The "origninal" bathroom had a toilet that leaked around the seal (they never noticed it, but there was a puddle of water there both times I looked at the house) and the sink was not much wider than my hand although it looks quite a bit bigger in the photo.  During the tear out we found the toilet seal was all but gone, but no mold or rot thankfully under the floor covering.  The window came out easy and filled in just a nice to make a decent shower with light and exhaust fan.  A friend's wife found the perfect shower curtain and bath rug.  My dad and his plumber cousin did all the plumbing free of labour charges which was nice.  I did get a professional in to do the drywall and tub surround though.

Bart

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Another room from my house remodeling
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »
So, you don't like lavendar??? What's the problem??? LOL. Did you cover up the window?? The modifications to the cabinet, did you switch the drawers and door around? Smarty pants, using the flooring on the cabinet front. Looks like something I would think of. LOL. You are coming right along making that house YOURS.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:46:43 PM »
That looks really nice Bart, I LOVE redoing bathrooms.....I've got to get around to doing mine, but DH is not gonna like it  lol 

I like the white, red and black theme too, it looks so clean and classic. ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:48:39 PM »
Looks much better, clean and modern and spare, I would have kept the window though.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:19:22 PM »
Bart,

Very nice new bathroom!  But, I got to say, I love purple of any hue (hence my screen name, lol).  The last two homes I lived in, I redid my kitchens in a very pale, lovely lilac color with nice grape, sheer curtains (but that's just me).  Give me purple, hunter green and some mauve and I'm in hog heaven, lol!

Seriously though, your redo looks really, really good!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:56:04 PM »
But Bart, now that you took out the window you won't be able to shower while talking through the open window to your neighbor.... ;)

Nice job on the remodel
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:06:41 AM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline ladybug

• Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:04:43 AM »
looks great. i think it looks better without the window.  i have never really liked window setups like that one in a shower.  i like the red, white and black theme too.  i want to see the rug.  you didn't have the rug in the picture that your friend's wife picked out.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:06:55 AM »
Great improvement. O0 
Looks really nice and so sparkly clean!

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »
Free plumbing Bart? I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven. In my redos, I quickly learned that "touch the plumbing and costs just double, to start"

Nice update. Personally I never minded those type light fixtures, but all the HGTV make over shows I have watched show designers ripping them out toot-sweet as VERY dated, so nice upgrade there too.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:17:06 AM »
Very nice Bart.  O0
I would not have removed the window though.  :no:
We need as much light and air circulation as possible here.
A bathroom without a window is very claustrophobic to me. :o

I hate those cheapo light fixtures too. And the big round snowball lightbulbs: harsh light first thing in the morning.  :o
For just a bit more money you can get something a LOT classier.
We haven't replaced ours yet, but when we do it'll be more like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4-Light-Bronze-Rustic-Bathroom-Lighting-Fixture_W0QQitemZ180275731112QQihZ008QQcategoryZ79662QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Plus I always think about dust and cobweb accumulation....needs to be easy to dust.
Those big round white balls are always getting dusty and seems to stick like glue too.
I hate ours...plus backs with cheap beveled mirror panels...WTF were they thinking? ::)

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:17:28 AM »
Thanks everyone. 

To answer some questions:

- The cabinet was reversed and that is not lino on the front of it.  That is a stained glass insert made to match the floor pattern.

- The window was removed and filled in.  I did this for a couple of reasons.  First, it was off-centre in the room so adding a proper shower surround was not possible.  Second, to make a good shower with a window would have required removing it and replacing it with a window that could handle the water on the frame.  This was more expensive than just doing away with it.  A good sized exhaust fan was added right above the shower and it is on a timer so the air is evacuated very fast.  I would say the mirror unfogs within 1 minute of the shower being off if it takes even that long.  The previous owners had that "faux" shower and it is amazing the walls weren't rotting away.  Had the window been on a different wall or something I would have kept it.  The other reason was strictly privacy.  The neighbours can see right into that window.  Even if I put a material over it they would still be able to see a shadow as I showered.  I'm not quite that open!

- Yeah, free plumbing for me anyway.  Dad helped him on another house and this was the return favour.  It didn't take them long and I think most of the time they were more busy visting then working.  I didn't need to crack a whip though.  ;D

- The rug is just a black rectangle with a smaller red rectangle in the centre.  Is a match to the shower curtain and soap dish set.

- The round type light HAD to go just like Joyce said. This one is halogen so nice and white light.  Helps to ensure the room is bight to compensate for the window being removed.

And, speaking of dust.  Here is the horror story.  When the home inspection was being done and we were in the bathroom, the inspector was commenting on the leaking toilet (and the owner was arguing that it didn't leak - like that puddle of water wasn't any indication) and I was wondering why he wasn't commenting on the black mold in the corner of the shower.  Then the black mold moved like a wave.  I looked closer and saw that it wasn't mold at all, but lint that was so filthy with dust that it looked black and waved in the air currents.  It covered an area of about two sqaure feet!  After I had possession we discovered that most of the lint was coming from the dryer.  The exhaust didn't fit properly on the back of the machine so instead of fixing it they just layed the exhaust hose near the dryer outlet and, I guess, expected the lint would just find the hose and move itself out.  The dryer was so packed with lint it was amazing there wasn't a fire.  The stuff just kept finding its way all over the house.  I was picking lint out of places six months later.

Bart

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:08:36 AM »
Oh that's right, you did say it was stained glass. Duh!!! Well you have to do what you have to do when it comes to redoing your home. And I'd say you've got a good start.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:26:47 AM »
Oh, this is as fun as watching HGTV - one of my addictions, since I'm in home improvement anyway.  Nice job, Bart.

Oh, and I know well the "interesting" word.  An old boyfriend, when I would get thoughtful and spend some time making a nice dish, like a wonderful soup or something, and bring it to him, he'd take a taste and comment, "Interesting."   :-\

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
That's very interesting Julles.  :)

I've been taping about three different landscpaing shows on HGTV so I can gather ideas for my back yard.  I've got a few good bits that have a chance of making it to my yard over my five year plan.  I just wish I would have a pot of gold in the basement so I could get a few of the big things done right away.  In the long run it would make the rest of it easier instead of having to design things knowing I'll need to make room for big things later on.  If that makes sense.

Bart

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »
Definately a big improvement, Bart. I can see why you haven't had much time for your ponds. The house is coming along nicely though.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »
Really nice job Bart O0

I'm all for windows myself, but seems that you've got some really good reasons for having it gone though.
When I remodeled mine several years ago, I was lucky enought to have the two windows on outside walls.
Dust? Lint? don't anyone come over to my place {nono}

That is, unless you want to clean O0 @O@

Steve
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:41:24 AM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »
I just went back and looked at that window and shower set up and you are sure right, if you used that shower much you'd rot out the frame and all down the wall.  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It sure looks nice now and with a good fan then the ventilation problems are gone.  Water = the main enemy of every house and every homeowner.  Almost anything that goes wrong in a house is somehow related to water.  So, better to make sure it can't get in the walls.   It might have worked if it were shielded and you could leave the window open all the time.  I don't think you live in a climate that allows that and for sure not with neighbors just outside. 

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
Around here most windows are have vinyl frames and sills now.
No one uses wood frames/sills here anymore.  :no:

We have a huge vent/fan in the ceiling that works fine, but I like to open the window instead of using the electric. Being 'green' and all that.  8)
Of course in the winter, we use the fan...but mostly I just take a shower with the door open, need the humidity in the house in the winter. 8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 01:09:02 PM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 02:11:45 PM »
Yes, any new windows that go in would be new style without the wood.  These are the orignals from 1963 and all considered they are in very good shape.  Most people I know who had windows like these have long since replaced them for various reasons.  Even the inspector was impressed that they were still usable and had good seals.

As for moisture.  I most often do not shower with the door closed either.  I have to remind myself when friends stay over to close the door! The house is really dry so letting the moisture into the air helps with my sinus issues.  With a window it would have been usable for only a couple months of the year then it ends up too cold outside to keep it open withoug running the furnace and I'm all for reducing consumption as well.  It's easier when it is just me in the place as I do not need to light more than the room I am in at any given time and can close vents in the spare room or downstairs that I do not need to heat plus I hardly ever run the A/C, perhaps a couple days in the middle of summer when it gets really hot.  Most times I can live without it.

Bart

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »
That sounds just like they way I live too Bart.
I HATE having the AC on...love all the windows open, fresh air breezes, and being able to hear what is going on outside.
I can live without it too except for the few times it gets into the 90s here.
To me, the AC air always smells stale, lifeless, sterile.  :P

We have a much longer season, and we are surrounded by salt water and have salty air/winds, so everyone has to use the vinyl.
Our windows are open about 5-6 months of the year, probably 2-3 times longer than your 'open window' season.

In this house, showering with the door closed only leads to banging on the door by children, spouses, cats meowing and dog barking, and scratching.
And with the door closed, I can't hear what's going again...I have this thing about that  :suspect: ....and again...real BAD claustrophobia. ::)
I pretty much 'use the bathroom' with the door open at all times, except at work.  :D (no cats, dogs, children or spouses there)  ;)
Can you imagine what I had to go through with all my cancer tests and the machines they had to cram me into? :o
Kinda made me get over a lot of my claustrophobia, after all, it is mind over matter.
I still HATE PETscans and MRIs. >:(

We were lucky, this house comes with a cast iron fireplace heatilator insert with heat fan.
And the people left about 4 cords of wood stacked along the property line for us!
That will save us LOTS of oil $$ this winter! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 08:19:56 PM »
We're certainly on the same page Joyce.

During July and August I have windows open just about every night and all night.  June and September they can usually be open most evenings, but closed at night 'cause it just gets too cold. During the rest of the year I will open a couple just a bit for a few minutes every couple of weeks just to get some fresh air into the house.  This year I probably ran the A/C a total of 7 times and not long each time.  I normally will set it just 2 degrees cooler than the room temp just to get give some relief.  For most people that is way too hot still.  Lots of people let them run day and night which I can't bring myself to do.  A transformer blew in the alley last year during an exceptional hot night when everyone had the things going full tilt for hours on end.  I can retreat to the basement when it gets too bad in the rest of the house.

The A/C at work is one of my peeves.  People turn it down to 40 degrees and let it run like the thing is ever going to cool the buildng to 40 degrees.  It isn't a meat freezer.  Then someone will leave it run all night and it eventually freezes up and doesn't work at all.  I always walk by the thermostat and comment that people really have no idea how a thermostat works and set it properly.  I'm always turning out lights there too in the lunch room which is used just once a day, but always seems to have the lights burning away whenever I walk past it.

I'm not too claustrophobic, but I do not like extended periods of feeling closed in such as when stuck in a crowd of people all pressed together.  I like some space, but can make do with very little if I have to.  Mind over matter works some of the time.

Bart

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »
"We have a huge vent/fan in the ceiling that works fine, but I like to open the window instead of using the electric."

Hee hee.  Another "zone" issue.  I can always tell the people who moved to Houston from up north.  They think they can open a window to dry out their bathrooms after showering.  Try that in Houston and you're letting moisture in

We had humidity as high as 93% today.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 11:30:44 PM »
Well, I rarely turn the hot water side of the faucet on when showering.  Water is stored in a tank on the roof and is warm enough all the time.  It used to get too hot, then we got an insulated tank that is a lighter color so it's about right for a shower now.  What I miss is throwing really cold water on my face in the morning.  So, I keep a spray bottle in the refrigerator for my morning mist  8)   Window in the bathroom is always open so there is plenty of humidity whether the door is open or closed. 

Here in the condo we only use AC at night and that only when it is really humid and hot, no wind.  Most of the time we have a good sea breeze.   We don't even have a whole house AC, just in the bedrooms.   

I'm putting the same mini-splits in both bedrooms, the living room and the office at the house in Merida but I don't expect to use them all.  I like the mini-split because it lets me only cool areas I'm in.  I just recently was told about the de-humidify button on the AC - I should have read the manual - but it works quite well when it is cool enough but too humid. I think I'll use that in the summers in the office to keep the electronics drier. 

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 07:08:51 AM »
Looks great Bart.  emm

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:13 AM »
I really like the bathroom...nice colors.

I have no window in either bath here...doesn't bother me...much.  I also leave the door open unless company.  Sometimes I do close the bedroom door though.

We run a window AC in one bedroom set on 80*.  If company is coming I'll turn on the other air.  I run ceiling fans in the kitchen 24/7 though with a east and west window open.  If it is too hot...I just don't cook  {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;;

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »
Fans, one in the bedroom, one in the den, and one in the living room. But we only run them when we are in bed or watching TV in the den. But this summer has been a good one as far as weather and temps, not hot or humid much, thank goodness.

Ran the AC one day for maybe 18 hours. Had company and it was horribly humid, having just rained. I had planned on serving the lunch out by the pool but it was so horribly hot and humid I couldn't bring myself to drag the food outdoors. So instead I turned on the AC and stuck everything on the kitchen table buffet style and let the guests fill their trays and take them outside. Most had already been swimming so didn't really mind sitting there in wet suits to eat.

I'm hoping to make the rest of the summer without the AC. Keeps the electric bills down. We have enough excess electrical usage between the pool pump, the pond pump, the little pump that runs the fountain on the deck, and the pump on the small pond.

Kids have been moved out for a long time so bathroom doors aren't shut for showers any more. I even dry my clothes outside. I hang up the jeans and hangupables on hangers to hang outside and everything else gets put on one of those folding dryer racks outside. When it's winter, I dry the stuff in the laundry room. If I have something large like a blanket or sheets, I hang them on the pool fence. Probably looks tacky to the neighbors but too bad.

My washer is a suds saver. I don't think you can even get them any more. I can reuse the wash water because it can pump the dirty water back into the laundry tub and then pump it back into the washer for the next load. I usually let some of each load go down the drain and put in some fresh. Besides with just the two of us and me being home most of the time, we don't have much laundry. Sometimes I even catch the rinse water and pump it back into the laundry tub to use for the next wash load. All the water I'm saving gets wasted on the pond and the leak there. LOL.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"