Author Topic: MY FIRST MISTEAK  (Read 1180 times)

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
MY FIRST MISTEAK
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:21:29 AM »
I turned the water on to top off my pond last night and forgot to turn it off {nono}the water raan for about 9 hours. I lost one gold fish a couple of rosie reds and I dont see any of the babies any more. :'( Is there anything else that I need to worry about?

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: MY FIRST MISTEAK
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
You might want to add some de-chlor, but I think if it were me, I'd say damage done and leave it be.  Try not to worry too much, it happens.

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:10:29 AM »
my mom was out of town and my step-dad did the same thing and kille all her fish and they were huge...boy did he panic,he went out and bought her more.thank goodness she wasin Italy for 8 months...lol gave them time to grow....i forgo once and ran like crazy over to the pond to grab the hose it was flowing over...yes it happens to all of us....its aggravating and sad but don't beat yourself up over it too bad...sorry it happened to you....lorraine :'(
lorraine

Offline Mikey

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:41:17 AM »
After reading about fish kills from ponders who forgot to turn off the water I bought one of those cheap digital timers and I leave it outside adjacent to my faucet.   When I need to do a top-off I set the timer for ten minutes and put it in my shirt pocket.  Best $1.50 I ever spent.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
Me too Mikey. I had a stop watch thingy that we used for some dumb class at the bank about 6 years ago. I hadn't used it since. After letting the pond run over a few times, I dug out the timer and clipped it on my shirt. Then I still have to remember what this thing is beeping about and to stop what I'm doing and turn off the water. LOL

When the pond began losing water, I became even more conscious of water usage. At least we have a well and I don't have to pay for it and don't need dechlor.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:59:08 AM »
also make sure to have plenty of Oxygen going into the pond right now...either air pump or lots of bubbles being made from a pump....I'm sure the survivors will appreciate the extra O2 right now....also as suggested--add some declor asap....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »
Ester, Lol, that sounds just like me.  Now why is this thing beeping and what was I going to do.    So sorry RWinn for the loss of fish, so correct, we have all done it some time or other, I watered the lower part of my lawn real well already last year with reverse syphon, spelling wrong, but you get the drift.  Disconnected part of hose, left other part hanging in pond. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:59:40 AM by Celia »
Celia

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
Yep, been there, done that, welcome to the club. >:(

So sorry about your fish :'(

Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »
Uh huh, been there done that too.  I was topping off the front puddle, while cutting grass.  Got done with the front yard and headed to the back.  Sat down to take a break on the swing, fired up the lawn mower and started working on the backyard.  Then when I was done, went in to take a shower.  Yup, the water reminded me.  Lost about 5 goldies.  Since then, I carry the declor with me when ever adding water.  Even if I go in the house, the bottle stays with me where ever I go.  If I sit down, I sit it in my lap.  On the pc, its sitting in front of the monitor.  Think you get the idea. 

So far, that's the only time I've done it.  That was about 4 years ago.

Kim
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:00:32 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"