Author Topic: Do Fish Eat String Algae?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do Fish Eat String Algae?
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
I thought I was so slick, digging a mosaic plant and some anachras out of the trash at a local pond store (not Nelson's, for those of you in the Houston area). 

But it appears the freebies had shreds of string algae.  Luckily, I did not put any of these plants in my pond, but they are in a tub, and the string algae is growing.  I've never had it before.

If it gets into my main pond, will the fish eat it and remove it from the pond?  Or am I sentenced to be a victim from then on?  Should I get rid of the anachras and mosaic plants, and scrub the tub?  What about the vips in little starter pots in the bottom of the tub?  Have they become contaminated with string algae that can be introduced into another pond?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do Fish Eat String Algae?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:44:03 PM »
Um I don't think the fish will eat it or if they do, they don't eat enough to make any difference. As for introducing it into my pond, I wondered the same thing. I hadn't ever had it until I bought lilies that were growing in it. Now each spring I have to fight it like crazy. But right now, I don't have any. So I don't know if it lies dormant and when conditions are perfect it takes off. I had begun treating the pond for it.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
I think I'm gonna empty that tub, and get rid of every scrap of it.  don't want it migrating to the pond.  I'm not sure how it travels, but I've never had it before, and, after reading of people's woes with it on A.P., I sure don't want it.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »
That stuff grows like crazy and is really hard to get rid of.  I wouldn't introduce it if you had a choice.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
Awww Julles---mosiac is notorious for algae--a little trick that works well for that and small lilies that tend to let algae grow--however I wouldn't try it if fish are present in the water....Hydrogen paroxide....just add some to the tub---I used about a half of a bottle to a 6'x15" pop up pool.....
Lawanna
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:07:54 PM by tranquility »
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
Do you battle pea soup in the pond in question? If so, introducing string algae is a good way to get rid of the pea soup.

Personally, I'd rather have string that green any day.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
Lee Ann's got a point.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"