Author Topic: Chinese Peony  (Read 1389 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Chinese Peony
« on: August 15, 2008, 04:37:21 AM »
Has anyone tried growing Chinese Peonies?  What was your experience?  Can they be grown in zone 9b or 10a with success?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Peony
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »
Hey Greentumbnails!  I'm in zone 10b and I have grown Herbaceous peonies for the past 5+ years with minor success.  Mine are grown in pots and need avoid hot afternoon sun.  Last year I had a bloom seed and not knowing they would survive I threw them on the dirt next to the peony pot.  This spring I had baby peonies galore!

I love peonies but I don't think 2 or 3 flower blooms a year makes it a desirable plant in my zone.  But those few flowers I get....MMMmmm.  The pretty flowers have a wonderful fragrance.  o(:-)

My best blooming Peony...Karl Rosenfeld burgundy red peony....

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:43:16 AM »
Here is my white peony...this peony is young but weak.  I'm hoping it makes it back next year.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:00:08 AM »
Cool pics!  I've always wanted a peony tree.  Apparently they are very hard to grow (they say that about lotus plants too), but if you can get it going its like an English rose bush that can grow for decades!  I mail ordered a bare root Red Peony a few years back.  It didn't survive in the container I planted it in.  I figured I would use a container until it was strong enough to transplant into the ground and survive the first winter and the harsh summers we get here in Florida.  Then I got to thinking that maybe they need a cold spell to bloom well...probably depends on the variety.  I checked out some Red ones on DavesGardens online plant encyclopedia, and found that they were hardy to about zone 9a, so I was wondering if its too warm here for them.  Normally an expensive plant I didn't reorder to try again. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:12:27 AM »
The trees are expensive and according to the planting instructions they probably wouldn't survive in our heat.  I don't have the time to mother them.  The herbaceous variety are more affordable.  They do "disappear" in the winter when young but some leaves stay when the plant gets older.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
I just checked my notes and purchased and planted my peonies in the fall, "the ideal time to plant bare root peony tubers is in the fall."  This must give it a chance to prepare for the spring.  The tubers should be fleshy, firm and mold free.  Plant tuber 2" under surface.  Keep soil just moist, not wet, until Spring and new growth appears before watering normally.  Hope this helps.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »
Thanks Annette,
  I am undecided about growing the Chinese Peony down here.  I went to one of the online peony retailers recommended on Dave's Garden web site, and in their home page it said that they were hardy from zone 2 to 8.  That makes me think that even if I bought tubers from them, I might just get a mass of green foliage and a chance flower or two.  They said that the peony needs a dormant season to bloom and thrive.....rats!....

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »
Specialty nurseries sell "warm weather" peonies.  I have been unwilling to part with $30 to test them and I have not spoken to anyone who has tried them.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:42:41 PM »
"warm weather" peonies, now that could be interesting.  But I am with you Mikey on not wanting to spend the $30 to test them. 

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »
here in louisiana i want them but they would wilt and die in a second from this enormous heat and humidity,,,,so i am not throwing the money away either...lorraine
lorraine

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"