Author Topic: scarcrow ----racoons  (Read 1163 times)

Offline kingfish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
scarcrow ----racoons
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:02:26 PM »
 my wife's friend pond just got hit by racoons , i've never had a problem .. heard of scarecrow wondering if anyone has used it and are happy with results.. this is just a racoon problem.. me myself i would take a more direct action , but she is in the city .. and has limited choices...

the one and only

kingfish

Offline kingfish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: scarcrow ----racoons
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »
who posted this to remove and why???? :blowup:

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
We recently just had a discussion on raccoons.  (In fact, that nasty topic comes up every month or so.) 

The general consensus was to live-trap them.

Maybe someone with knowledge of scare crows will chime in.  All I can say is, I had one of those fake owls with the head that swivels, and it didn't scare nuttin'.

Offline kingfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »
all i want to know, if anyone actually has  bought a scarecrow??? and what kind of results they had ... i know this is touchy and to each his own.. but we are just talking scarecrow and thats it please

the one and only
kingfish

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »
We have a scarecrow and use it every night...however, in my experience, it alone does not deter the raccoons...it really serves as an early warning device which wakes us (and our dog) up so I can then go out there (usually in the middle of the night) to chase them...  in that regard, it has been effective for the last couple of years.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »
Kingfish,

I doubt if anyone meant to remove your post.  Could have been a cybermalfunction.

Regarding the scarecrow: For DIYers you could check out my "Heronizer" which is a permenant "wired-in" and
"plumbed" version of my own design.  You can see it at my website http://www.gardenendeavors.com/ .  A direct
link to the heronizer article is at http://www.gardenendeavors.com/rack/web13.html .

The heronizer was designed primarily with the great blue heron in mind but also helps with raccoons. 

Another anti-racoon method that works really well is an electric fence around the pool at an eight to ten inch height.
You can put it on a timer so it is active only at night.  If you use green plastic posts and iron wire (The black stuff
that comes in small rolls) the fence is really not all that ugly and is almost unnoticed.  See picture below of a pool
protected by both the heronizer and an electric fence.

First, just the electric fence.  The heronizer motion detector and spray nozzel are between the concrete turtle and the base of the armillary sundial post.

Same pool, different angle, energized heronizer spraying.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »
The only thing that worked for us was an electric fence. DH swapped out the plastic poles for bamboo and the wire for copper tubing. Looks nicer.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:48 PM »
Trapping and relocating seems to be the consensus.
RE: your post, it was not removed by an administrator, no way and no reason.
If it was a nasty name calling one it would have been reported.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline carver

• Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Curt and Nancy
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
we went to tractor supply and bought a 5 mile fencer. Way more then then you would think you need to go around 50 feet of pond. But... it packs a punch and does what we want it to do very well. Even keeps my great Dane out of the pond.( only took one time too)

It runs off a 12 volt battery. we used fiberglass fence poles, they do not look too bad and from a distance they are hard to see, they will hold multiple strands of wire, and some of the wire guides are adjustable for height. We were going to cut them down ( we have the fence due to the heron) to shorten them but have not done it yet. We have not had anything in the pond since putting up the fence.

In my past life ( first marraige ) I lived in the middle of a woods, and raised pheasants, peafowl, peacocks, ducks, swans and other birds. I had a devil of a time with raccoons, fox, and coyotes. The electric fence around the flight pen really helped a lot. I had 2 fences set up, and inner, and outer boundary.

But for raccoon You are going to want at least 2 strands of fence so they can not get under it or over it.

Here is a picture of our pond

The one we have is in the link below.
You will also need either a 6 or 12 volt battery, fence wire, fence posts, grounding rod, grounding rod clamp, grounding wire.

The Fencer we have:
Fencer
This is fence post we used though they do make heavier ones these work good:
Fiberglass Fence Posts

Hope that helps some...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"