Author Topic: Why do some Koi  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Why do some Koi
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »
root around in the lily pots and some don't? Mine never have bothered the plants. They have been purchased at probably 4 different places so aren't from the same place. They do nibble on the watercress and water celery that leans over the edge of the pond but I don't mind. I see them rooting/nibbling on the bottom or sides of the liner. These fish are mostly between 6 and 2 years old, good sized.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Why do some Koi
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 12:37:55 PM »
i dont know i had some goldfish that bothered the lillies but they died, so i just actually have one koi and a goldfish but none of them bother the roots maybe play in the gravel, but what i saw is that mosquito larves get into the gravel to hide and the fish goes and look for them, but yeah this fished havent bothered the lilies
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »
All koi root around if they can, at some point. The fatter they are, the less likely that are to look for hard to get food.
All mud has algae in it. Koi eat algae.
But our prepared foods are higher in calories (can you say chocolate?) and so they get accustomed to the nummier food.

Koi, from carp, are actually bottom feeders. They suck on the mud and roots. In a mud pond they wallow around (which helps keep their skin clear of pathogens).
The LIKE it. :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
Yah, but mine don't bother the soil in the pots of lilies to the point of making a mess or uprooting them. They never have. My soil is just plain clay and I have never put pebbles or stones on top of the soil.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:50:25 PM »
my new ones havent done that either and they have aquatic plant soil on top because the clay by itself makes a mess, and yeah my lillies are fine they never uprooted them and they are doing more than fine
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
My butterfly koi don't mess around with the lilies I have in their pond BUT I had some of the other koi & I swear they played badmitten with the lilies..... >:(...so I found some nice new homes for them....to some really good friends  {:-P;;

bonnie

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 07:48:36 PM »
When I first put my koi in with the water lilies, they didn't bother them until the koi got bigger and then I had to take the water lilies out.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"