Author Topic: Meeting today.  (Read 1189 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Meeting today.
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:00:48 PM »
Well, we had our first meeting at our house today for the club. Three folks showed. I was happy with it because the club is finally growing. Next month, we will have our meeting at the newest members house. She brought me some giant sensitive plant, seed pods for that plant, and Castor bean seeds. Her pond has a unique liner, an old billboard. She is going to pick up more this week. It's a thick vinyl material by her description. She jokes about her having Kenny Chesney at the bottom of her pond because the bill board had his pic on it.

The third person just dropped by at the end and picked up some plants and an old cell phone. She is a real newbie to ponding and I help her whenever I can. Her family is young and struggling. I gave her the pump that she is using. She got the pond kit for Mother's Day and her husband helped her install it. They've done a good job. I delivered three goldfish to her and had a look.

I am so excited about this club and it's future, it kind of takes away some of the depressed feeling from not having a job.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting today.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »
Scott, Great to hear your club is growing. :) How long ago did you start it? How do you soliciate new memebership?
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
 o(:-)Sounds like a god beginning. Helping people is the best !  Hope that it expands for you. I know I have just lost a ponding buddy here. Moved away, and I have no one to exchange ideas with.
Will look forward to hear how it goes for you.
Mary

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
MCP, I started out 2.5-3 years ago with the idea and did the first plant festival. From that, I got one member. He stuck with it and after we moved, I kinda neglected the meetings as no one would show. We would of had one more there but she was having car trouble. There may be two more new ones at the next meeting.

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »
I hope your "club" continues to grow. And goodness!!! How long have you been without a job? So scary!!

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:45:38 AM »
Pond clubs are a little difficult, I think, because people live so spread out.  Here in Houston, members could feasibly live 50 miles apart, which makes driving to a meeting rather difficult, depending on where it's held.  Also, people's free time is so limited, and there are so many other things they need to do.  Our pond society has very few people show at meetings, too, for many reasons.  One thing that does get people to come is - FOOD.  While I wish our meetings had a speaker or a chance to learn something, our meetings tend to be mostly about socializing, drinking wine, and chowing down.

One nice thing about a small group is you get to know one another so much better.

Do yu have the meetings always at the same place, or do you switch from home to home, or even to a public place like a garden center?

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
Good for you, I'd love to have a pond club in our area.....I know there are lots of ponders around the area, it's just finding them and trying to get something started.  Our area pond store has been saying for years they are going to get a NAWGS club started, I would just like something as it's fun to share ideas and experiences
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »
Esther, I was laid off on May 16 of this year. I was able to draw unemployment though.

Julles, it use to be at a local park but this last meeting was inspired by how many were interested in this area. This time, it was here at my house.

Hey Marla, why not have a water garden party and invite all of them to your house. When you have a large group together, discuss organizing a club. If you get enough interest in it, it'll be all downhill from there.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:39:53 PM by PondmaninFL »
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"