Author Topic: Taking Goldfish in for the winter  (Read 1491 times)

Offline William Young

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/10/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Woodworking Friends
Taking Goldfish in for the winter
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
Hello All.
I am thinking of taking my goldfish in this winter instead of trying to keep the small pond from freezing.
A couple questions.

Should the pond be drained and started again next year  or should I just remove the pump/filter and let the water freeze.

I have been looking at aquariam kits and I need to know of a 18 gallon tank would  be big enough for a dozen medium size goldfish ?

W.Y.

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Goldfish in for the winter
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
If you do remove the fish, it would probably be best to remove the pump/filter and tubing and let the water freeze.

I would be concerned with that many goldfish in that small of an aquarium.  They are going to grow during the winter and you might have water quality problems.

Tricky situation.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
Hello William,

Here in southern Manitoba it is impractical in my opinion to keep the pond open during the winter without resorting to costly & risky methods. Unless the pond is very deep (4' plus) the chances are minimal of keeping it open during those stretches of -35C weather even with a bubbler and heater. It would not take much of a power interruption or heater failure to have things freeze over solid under those conditions. I bring my little beasties indoors for the winter to a homemade wintering tank. It is basically a 2' x 4' x 16" deep wooden box (about 60 gallons) lined with surplus pond liner on a stand to raise it off the floor. I use an external cannister filter & some plants to keep the water fresh along with a 2 x 4' bulb fluorescent light. My lilies actually bloomed last December! I've attached some pics of my setup.

My recommendation is to save yourself from some needless anxiety during those stormy, cold days ahead and bring your fish indoors for the winter. Plus you get to enjoy them for the winter months. Pull the pump & filter out and leave the pond filled to freeze solid. Otherwise the liner will likely collapse in when the ground begins to thaw and the spring runoff and rain find it's way under the liner.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »
wow great idea and job...lorraine
lorraine

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »
William an 18 gal. tank is not nearly big enough for all those fish. I'll be bringing in 18 fish this year, and I keep mine in a 150 gal  stock tank with LOTS of filtration, and aeration. An 18 gal. tank will hardly keep one goldfish let alone a dozen. Goldfish are very dirty fish, and put out lots of poop.  o( 

Beautiful tank there Gary.  O0
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:09:09 PM by Pa Nancy »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"