Author Topic: Winter, plants, leaves etc  (Read 1394 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Winter, plants, leaves etc
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:23:03 PM »
  Well, this is my first winter with a pond. I found one of those nets that you put over your bed to keep skeeters out, hoping to keep the tiny elm leaves out of the pond. Problem is that once the wind starts, the net blows all over the place, looking more like a Halloween ghost!
  The plants that I had in the pond (hyacinth umbrella palm and unicorn grass)The hyacinth died, the palm I put into the greenhouse  and is adding alot of new growth, and the unicorn is doing OK. I'll put it in the greenhouse if it gets yellow. Oops forgot about the cat tails that are turning yellow! Do those need to go into the greenhouse also? They grow wild in the area all year! (USDA zone 8)
  I would love some tips on shade plants and what plants to use during the winter.
  I have a cheapo filter from WM that I clean out each week, but it isn't doing the job.
  Alot of you said I shouldn't use one of those UV filters, but I'm not  sure about that, since I can't see the fish anymore.
  You guys also mention alot of things that don't make sence to us newbies (skippies, bottomdrain, etc......)
   Maybe you should have a newbie section, so we don't feel so stupid askin those ?s. I have felt really dumb asking ? that the regulars all know.
  Anyway, just some suggestions, and happy ponding!   Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter, plants, leaves etc
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 06:53:02 PM »
Nancy, what area are you in? If you don't know your zone then go here

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
Hello Nancy and welcome.  A skippy is the best thing you will ever do!  Inexpensive and wonderful.   It will take the bad thingys out of your pond and turn them into good thingsy... biological eating machines of yucky stuff.. can you tell I dont know much about why it works.. I just know it does :)

This link will get ya started to skippys home page. There are lots of variations as to how to make them.  HOpe this helps!

http://www.skippysstuff.com/

tinkster

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 09:23:35 PM »
Nancy,
  First......WELCOME!!!! It's always nice to see new people on here.
  Don't feel bad or stupid asking ANY questions. That's the main reason for this forum. Believe me, there are others who will be glad you asked and many of us others have been there so none of us mind answering questions that may have already been answered in the past.
  As for the cat tails...I'm in zone 5 and I cut them back to the top of the planter and leave them in the pond. Mine have returned for 4 years now so unless your zone is way colder than mine that should work fine for you.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 09:29:55 PM »
No No, Nancy, don't you ever hesitate to ask a question. We were all newbies at one time and all asked the same questions and luckily people answered them. Hopefully, when you do ask, we will be good enough to answer you. Usually between several of us, you'll get a good consensus of opinion that will lead you in the right direction. UM, now I've forgotten your question. OH Yah, winter. Well I attached my net to a PVC frame that I made into 3 sections so it is easier to handle. I'm in Michigan and the leaves are dropping a lot right now. I've got to get my lilies cut back and the leaves out of the pond and the net on it.  Some hold their net down with stakes that drive into the ground and some use rocks. As for what to take in and what to not, if in your zone, your tender plants die when it freezes, then ya better take in the tender plants from the pond if you want to save them. We have already had a killing frost and so have brought in what I didn't want to freeze. I don't have a greenhouse so avoid the stuff that has to be saved.

You might want to add your zone and/or general location to your profile so when you mention a comment/question having to do with temps, then people have an idea how to
answer.

Don't worry about it when we talk about bottom drains, Skippys, vortexes etc. Bit by bit you'll absorb what you need to know. Just keep reading and asking. I don't have a bottom drain and think my pond is doing just fine but a lot of people do have them and wouldn't be without them. There are basically three ways of ponding, #1 a natural pond without a liner that mother nature cares for, #2 a DIY simple pond (usually a smaller pond) with a liner and Skippy (biological filter), or a bog filter, and/or a skimmer (can contain a mechanical filter along with a pump), #3 is more complicated and usually a larger pond or with people very serious about their fish, with an above ground pump, often a bottom drain with a vortex leading to the filter and a biological filter.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"