Author Topic: Shubunkin and Comets will only eat flaked food - Is that a problem?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Michellynn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Rosarian's Corner
I have 2 shubunkin, 2 comets, and 3 fantail fish.  All are more than a year old.    When I originally put the fish in the pond a year ago, I tried to feed them some of the koi food that the previous owners of the pond/house had left behind.  They would not eat it.  So, I just figured they were small and needed something easier to eat.  So, I started feeding them flaked food.  By the end of the summer, they were all larger and I tried some small pellets with them (smaller than regular size koi pellets) and they would not eat it.  It just floated around on the surface of the pond until it was eventually filtered out. 

This year, I tried a different brand of small pellets...and still they would not eat it.  Then I tried Tetra Multi-Mix Gold to see if they would eat a mix that had some flakes in it.  They nibbled at the flakes a little, but mostly left the whole thing untouched.  So, I have reverted to just feeding them the Tetra flakes (which they always gobble up like fiends as soon as I toss them in).  Now, personally I do not care which food I "have" to buy....but I feel like I should be feeding them something more than just the flakes to give them a "balanced" diet and make them as healthy as possible.

Is it a problem that they are not being fed anything other than the flakes?  They seem healthy and have sustained on that diet for almost two years now.  Should I be trying to feed them something else in addition to the flakes?

Offline Michellynn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Rosarian's Corner
Re: Shubunkin and Comets will only eat flaked food - Is that a problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:34:51 AM »
Oh, I do have quite a lot of plants in the pond too that they nibble on....much to my annoyance on the few occasions they actually "liberate" a plant from it's pot.   ::)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Shubunkin and Comets will only eat flaked food - Is that a problem?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »
Lots of nutritional information here.
www.thegab.org/   
I notice as my the food gets older the fish just ignore it. I just dump it. I stopped using flakes for all my fish pond and aquarium and they are doing much better health and color wise.
Kay

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"