Author Topic: Uninvited guest wanted to stay for supper. EEEEK!!  (Read 1696 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Uninvited guest wanted to stay for supper. EEEEK!!
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:57:06 PM »
You know, I wanted to build a in ground here but something convinced me to just keep the tanks and troughs. Well, that has paid off twice. The first time was when H. Fay came easing through and made a lake around my ponds. The second time was today. I am just about done with the big trough and my wife came out to have a cigarette and have a look at the progress. I was filling it today to see if the drain is going to hold. Well, we were standing beside the trough talking when she sees something moving near by. At first, she thought it was Arnold, our resident armadillo but then realized that it was to long. Instead, it was this little fella.

WOW! Where did it come from? The direction suggests that it was from the woods behind us but there is not a pond or any other body of water that I know of. The trapper said they can travel for miles. He also told me that eventually it would have found a way into the stock tank with the fish. The whole hour and a half that it was here was spent roaming around the ponds, looking for a way to get in with the fish. He actually climbed into a kiddie pool that had water in it and took a break. Here is one more shot with the trapper holding it. The camera malfunctioned.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Uninvited guest wanted to stay for supper. EEEEK!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »
Don't you just hate unwanted guests?!!  >:(-  Scary in your situation. Yikes!!!  What happens to the critter now?

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »
Good thing he didn't get sushi!  {nono}  Your wife has a good eye!

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »
A famous phrase seems to apply to ponds..."Build it and they will come."

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »
Annette, it was only about 3' long and the trapper said that they would let it go in a pond or lake somewhere. It was happy here and I wouldn't have minded if it wanted to stay for a while, except in the stock tank, but we have a dog and she is just way to curious and we can't afford the vet bill right now. That guy holding it was as big as I was before I started losing weight but he was pretty quick with his hands. I would have ended up with a gator attached to my arm. If my wife hadn't of called the trapper, I would have lead it into the chicken pen with a kiddie  pool to swim in. I'd always dreamed of having a pet gator, right after I stopped dreaming of having a pet grizzly bear. ;D

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
 If he still has hands and hes a gator trapper then he has quick hands. I am a Land Surveyor and lived and worked in florida for 19 years. That little fella is a baby. Alot of times big bull gators will force the little guys to try to find a new home. They can walk for miles n search of the right place. Your ponds would have been a snacking area until he moved on again. Good thing you caught him before he got in. They are good at hiding and would of had a nice feast.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:31:13 AM »
Amazing!  How far north have these things gone?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:51:51 AM »
Wow!  I'm glad you found it and were able to relocate it.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:46:16 AM »
I think it is cute!   :D    But, not in your stock tank.  Hope the little fella has a good life in a wild pond.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
Eeeekkk, I would freak out if I found a gator (baby or not) in my yard.  I realize I don't like a lot of critters such as spiders, insects, rats, snakes, etc.  Yet, I like pool of water, i.e. pond, that attracts all of them.  Go figure!! :P

Kuan

Offline terrikokopelli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »
Thank God I don't have to worry about gators in Mass. I have enough to worry about with the herons here.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
Amazing!  How far north have these things gone?

Jerry, I'm not sure but I do know that south Alabama and Louisiana have them. They are all over the state of Florida. I even saw one while on the riverboat ride at Disney World. South Florida has even more crocodileans. The Everglades are not only home to the gators but also to the American crocodile.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
It's a good thing you're wife see it ! It would've been bad enough if it got into one of you're tank's whitout you knowing it . Then you come along & stick you're hand/arm in ....ewww I don't even want to think about it ! Scarey...

bonnie

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
With visitors like that I think I'd be sticking to above ground ponds.  Happy the one I have in my pond is a fake, and I don't have to worry about the real thing.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"