Author Topic: Water Hyacinth ate my lilies  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Water Hyacinth ate my lilies
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:04:38 PM »
Bonnie remember the couple you sent me earlier this year.  I have been invaded.  I've gave buckets aways, sold them to a local pet shop etc.

This pond that has been taken over has my wakin's in it.  Maybe I'll have lots of babies that were able to hide.  The ones in the skippy are probably pushing 3 feet tall.  That happened one other year too.  I guess its were it has grown so tight, the only way for them to grow is up.

Also, the ancharis has went wild too.

Don't look at the Lotus pads, they're a little crispy.

Kim
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:20:58 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water Hyacinth ate my lilies
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »
The ones that are blooming are in my baby puddle.  Had to take a quick shot of them blooming. 
I did have a couple tropicals in there, but I moved them out to the front pond after we expanded it a little.  The original pond/preform that was 8 years old had a crack.  It had been repaired once and lasted about 3 years.  This time I had extra liner left over and took the preform out and threw it away and made the puddle bigger.  I'm chicken to go very big with it being in the front yard.  So, the tropicals are safe from the Water Hyacinth.  They have been happy out there.

That little purple and white flower is an odd one.  Somedays it looks like its going to die, then it blooms like crazy.  Doesn't like direct sunlight at all.  I had a pot of flowers sitting on the deck below it, it must have dropped seeds because there is another heathly one blooming in another pot.  I'm going to rig up something to be able to save some seeds for next year.

Kim

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:19:15 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »
omg amazing wish i had the black and white koi and some of your hyacinths
love it @O@
nice job ky kim
and the tropicals blooms are awesome too
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 03:06:11 AM »
Lush growth & great looking koi! 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 06:45:20 AM »
Sheesh! Wished my Hyacinths grew like that. All mine do is die. They grow (or don't) so terribly for me I didn't even get any this year, and I miss them.  :'(

Yours are gorgeous. Pretty fish too.  O0

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:57:32 AM »
Kim those are sure healthy. I can't grow either hyacinths or water lettuce. They just struggle along and don't do anything. Maybe too much sun.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
i know how you feel Kim i clean my pond out at least 5 times each summer cause they love the humidity here in louisiana and take over...i keep only one or two during the winter cause i know they will produce more in the summer..i even sold some on thisa site...so next year if anyone needs any i will surely have some water lettuce and hyacinth....lorraine
lorraine

Offline Jonathan

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
love it @O@
nice job ky kim
The name is Shiro Utsuri

Look like a jungle in the back yard lol. Id be geting rid of some of the plants thats an awful lot of plants too. The koi look great but look a tad skinny but some of my fish look that way too lol.
Keep up the great job.
one pond too many fish and one that is takeing too long to get done

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
Am having the same problem this year Kim. My hyacinth actually overwintered in the pond last season (which they have never done before) then went wild this spring. I have been pulling them by the bushel. (Don't really know what a bushel is, but is sure sounds like an armload of plants).

Two houses up from me a new pond went in this summer. At first they were delighted to receive all these plants from me, but as the weeks wore on, I swear they pretended they were not home - "Oh no, here he comes with more hyacinth!"

Well, rather too many than too few I suppose.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:49:27 AM »
love it @O@
nice job ky kim
The name is Shiro Utsuri

Look like a jungle in the back yard lol. Id be geting rid of some of the plants thats an awful lot of plants too. The koi look great but look a tad skinny but some of my fish look that way too lol.
Keep up the great job.
yep i know it was that but i just say what color is, because some people wouldnt know what i was talking about.
i had a shiro bekko that died, i was so down, but now i adopted a white and black with a  bluish back and a red dot on the head shubunky, and i love it i named it bloo lol
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »
Hey Kim!  Your WH must love your water.  The plant and the blooms look beautiful!  Gorgeous fish!

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »
What gorgeous fish!

My water hyacinth and anacharis went crazy, too.  Always does, although this year the anacharis kind of melted all summer long, and turned the water green.  I've been tossing hyacinths and anacharis plants into the woods every few weeks.  (they die in the winter here)  It's always humid in the summer here, maybe the hyacinths thrive in humidity?

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 06:24:43 PM »
Hey Kim,
My water Hyacinth's went crazy too this year . They got huge  :o
I threw them out by the buckets full !

Is that purple & white flower a Torentia (sp?) . It sure look's like it anyway .

You're black & white koi is Beautiful !  8-)~

You're Banana tree's look really healthy . Are those the hardy one's or tropical ?

bonnie

Offline rdrboone

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
Water hyacinths make WONDERFUL compost.
Ruth
Ruth

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 11:27:09 AM »
Gorgeous!!  Love your koi, especially the black and white one (I'm not technical about the fish).  My WH in the 40 gallon lily tub look just like yours except they don't bloom like yours.   ;)

Beautiful!!! O0

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"