Author Topic: Carbon use in Ponds  (Read 4018 times)

Offline terri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Carbon use in Ponds
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:43:46 AM »
Does anyone use it in their ponds? I was thinking about it, maybe i should try it in spring time, to try keeping the water clearer.
My pond will be 2 yrs  old in June.
Any thoughts about this?
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Carbon use in Ponds
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
I always keep activated carbon on had for emergencies, but not for constant use.  It would be helpful if the pond got contaminated with something as the carbon would absorb it.

Why do you want to use it?  If it's for water clarity there would probably be other things to try first.
Mary

Offline terri

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
It was just a thought i had... Activated carbon is used for fish tanks and i knew someone who used it in their pond, it worked well.
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »
Terri, is your water cloudy, green, or brown?

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline terri

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 09:40:33 PM »
right now, it looks brown.. typical for winter here tho.
I just had been reading about how activated carbon can take out or absorb some impurities that can foul the water.  And being i have a fish tank and use it in there, i was thinking, that maybe i could use it for my pond as well.  Last summer, pond water was various shades of green..
terri

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 05:31:36 AM »
Terri,
  I used it summer before last and it seemed to keep my water nicer. I put ammocarb in a knee high, flattened it out and put it between the filters in my savio waterfall. I didn't see that it would harm anything and the water seemed clearer and the fish more active.

Offline terri

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
Kay, how much of the ammo-carb did you use for your pond?
terri

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:04:59 PM »
I used two knee highs packed full and flattened as well as I could. I think if I remember right it was one of the small cardboard cartons rinsed well for each knee high but it was a tight fit..it would be better to divide into three if you want them flatter. The pond I used it on was 800 gallon.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:20:50 AM »
This is a 2002 article but it has some good points
http://www.wernersponds.com/Activated%20Carbon%20for%20Ponds.htm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"