Author Topic: How to seal ceramic planter?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How to seal ceramic planter?
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:41:23 AM »
I recently bought a large ceramic planter that I’d like to plant with papyrus so the soil in the pot will be very moist.  The pot is glazed on the outside but not on the inside.  Do you have any suggestions for a good sealant?  I’ll keep the pot in the house for the winter.  I need to plug the drainage hole also. 

Thanks emm

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How to seal ceramic planter?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:02:10 AM »
My favorite new stuff is called GOOP, and it will seal the holes for sure. But I don't know why you need to seal the inside?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »
You can plug any holes nicely with plumber's putty.  It's cheap and it stays good for years. 

I don't usually bother to seal the inside of pots if the outside is glazed.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
Paint the inside with DRYLOCK, DAMTITE, or THOROSEAL, all cementitious waterproofing products.  They  come as a fine powder, simply mix oi a slurry consistency and paint the inside.  You can seal the hole with it as well, just mix a small amount to the consistency of modleing clay and plug the hole.  Should be available ay Home Depot, or Lowes, or a good hardware store.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
For leaks and holes I use plummers epoxy found at the big box stores and it hardens like steel.  Goop is more difficult and ressembles its name in application...nuff said.  As for sealing the pot I use Dry-lock, preferably the emulsion baed versus the oil based paint.  If you do use oil let it dry for a couple of weeks and carry out at least 3 rinses to remove residual solvent.  You should seal ceramic especially in cooler areas due to traping water and freezing temperatures - can you say crack!

Gary

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:18:44 PM »
I used the Dry-lock on my lotus pots—the latex based. Plugged the holes with polyurethane caulk except one, I needed to seal it in a pinch. I used the plumbers putty on it and it's doing just fine...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"