Author Topic: A Bare Pond.....  (Read 2256 times)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A Bare Pond.....
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:41:07 AM »
I finally cut back all my lily pads from the lily pond & koi pond.....now I only have 4 more ponds to do..... :D ....The only lily blooming is my Star of Zanzibar & it's a tropical . The cooler water dosen't seem to bother it much because I see more buds comming up in the pot.

I got the koi pond done too & it has a tropical lily blooming in it . I don't know the name of it either... ;D .

bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A Bare Pond.....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »
Yep its starting to look bare around here too....I'm starting to pull all the plants back into the gh for winter----I hate this time of year....its soo depressing having to pull in all my tropicals...it means winter is just around the corner  :'(....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
Here also, I dooned the waders today and got in and cut back all the dieing pads, some pots have no pads left, while others have many and still buds just about to the surface, but they better hurry up and bloom, cause it's getting cold fast.  I want to get in and get the tropicals out this weekend, but have the grandsons, so it will have to be during baby nap time.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »
I finally cut back all my lily pads from the lily pond & koi pond.....now I only have 4 more ponds to do....
Definitely not looking forward to cleaning up the pads.  The prefilter in the lily pond seems to be getting full of juff.  Since this ponds was set up in July there is such a difference compared to the kiddie pools I use to use.  In the kiddie pools I just used a air bubble pump, no filter, and no cleaning the plant waste.  Now I want the water clean and habitable for the shubs, fancies, and wakins.

Marla, waders sound like a fab idea.  For some reason  {:-P;; , during the summer the cool water was welcoming.  Now its inhibiting with the cooler weather!  :o

Offline marla

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »

Marla, waders sound like a fab idea.  For some reason  {:-P;; , during the summer the cool water was welcoming.  Now its inhibiting with the cooler weather!  :o

DH thinks I'm nuts for going in without waders in the summer, but I also find it refreshing, and not much different then swimming in a lake...but now when the water is 55* or below it's numbing without wadders.  Last year I was late getting things cut back and went in with a thin layer of ice on the pond, had to break it as I went....my hands and arms were froze by the time I finished and the fingers weren't work to good till they warmed up, wished I had insulated long gloves.  This year I'm getting done sooner.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:28:15 PM by marla »
Her secret is patience.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »
I can't imagine ice let alone wading in cold water.  Moving my plants for seasonal weather would definitely get old for me.  It's the reason I live where I do  ;)  Although today is particularly cold for the month, but welcomed!

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »
WOW ITS 85 DEGREES HERE....everything is still green ..some things are starting to wilt but the lily pads are still on top of the water...we had some cool nights but now its hot again.the water temp seems cool and i an feeding them fall food...can't wait till it gets cold............lorraine
lorraine

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »
We are having record high temps here this weekend.  I think I will get in the pond tomorrow and cut back everything but my colorado, it's still blooming!  Hopefully the water will be warm enough that I won't need my waders.  I hate trying to bend over in those things.

Karen

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »
I bought a pair of waders last year , very nice to have for this time of year when the pond temp's
are colder !

bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 05:57:19 PM »
just cleaned out and trimmed all the plants back and netted  the longfin pond....now only have the goldie pond to do....
Lawanna

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »
very nice and warm today 77* 8-)~....while the youngest grandson napped, I went out and pulled out all the tropical lilies, most still had buds on so I put some rubbermaid containers in the sunroom and hope to still catch some blooms.  One misshap, I was using inside warm water and the outside hose through the patio door, well when I went to get the next bucket of warm water the hose popped out and when I came back it was puddleing water all over the carpet :swear:, tried to vacuum up as much as I could but the carpet is foam backed so still pretty wet.  I have a couple fans running on it now that the boys are in bed, but will have to turn them off in the morning, the little guy (16 months) is just to inquisitive to leave them on.  Still have to get in the marginal tropicals, maybe tommorrow, they say 80*, this must be are few days of Indian Summer because we did get a freeze already......next week is supose to get cold again.  Also still have the lotus in the whiskey barrels and lots of trimming to get done.
Her secret is patience.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »
I brought my tropicals in in the misty rain yesterday morning.  Not sure what to do with them...so I pinched all but the baby leaves and most of the roots and dropped them in the aquarium.  I started with 3 little plants and had 10 tubers about golf ball size.  The Black Prince had blooms and buds still...I sure hope it makes it through the winter.

I moved all the baby goldies from the tubs and put them all in the 7' tank.  I haven't a clue what I'll do with them all next spring.  Last years crop is still at the farm in a stock tank where cattle are watering.  There were less than I thought...but more than I hoped.   ;D ;D

My Colorado is still blooming also.  Water temp was about 60*.  We could have a frost any time now...or not.  I still had a couple of yellow blooms also.

I brought my Taras in also.  I'm gonna try to hang the grow light over them.  The room where I have to store them is a really dark East room with only one small window. 

I've been pinching pads off the lilies for weeks now.  I need to vacuum the lily tanks before they freeze over.  I just moved the lotus pots to the bottom of the tanks.  I sure hope at least one survives and blooms next summer.

I also cleaned the filter boxes and the shippy/filter.  I guess I'm ready for winter.  DH came home and found me soaked from head to foot.  The rain was rather warm and the wind wasn't blowing.  A very pleasant 65* day.

And the best part of it all... we had 2 inches of RAIN in the last 24 hours and still raining.   
 @O@  o(:-) @O@
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 06:06:23 AM by SueSTx »

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 06:21:37 AM »
Sue on the taro---you can just leave them in the pots and let them dry out---then put them somewhere cool and dark that doesn't freeze...in the spring pop em back outside and they will start to grow again....some of the taro I have are even difficult for me to keep growing in the gh all year---and they are terrible for getting aphids during the winter....
Lawanna

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 05:41:20 PM »
---and they are terrible for getting aphids during the winter....
Lawanna

Are they ever ! My green taro was huge last fall when I Put it into the g'house pond....then
came the aphids.. >:(- no matter what I did I couldn't kill them  >:(

bonnie

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »
I was out by the pond today and while I was there looking at the fishies and plants, I realized that the time is near that I have to trim them back.  It really made me sad thinking of looking at a bare pond.   :'( The weather is still OK but I think I will do it next weekend while it is still in the 60s.

Until next Spring...

Kuan

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:44:14 AM »
---and they are terrible for getting aphids during the winter....
Lawanna

Are they ever ! My green taro was huge last fall when I Put it into the g'house pond....then
came the aphids.. >:(- no matter what I did I couldn't kill them  >:(

bonnie

I soo hear ya' girl....funny thing is that some are more prone to them than others...they attacked my rhubarb,violetstem and Nancy's revenge and never touched the black magic or upright which where both right next to the others this summer....I blasted them dirty little buggers off ---seems like I was doing alot of it all summer on those two taro  ::)
Lawanna

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
my Black Magic has been covered with spider mites for months. No aphids though.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"