Author Topic: A week after the storm  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A week after the storm
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »
Don't let me bore you with tales - but some of them are worth repeating. :)

Danbury was NOT that hard hit. But the damage will take months to repair. Most of the really dangerous stuff is just about done. Still no power at the house. The rest will wait for the insurance adjusters to come survey it. :)

Best storm story – a friend of a friend has a house on Galveston Island. He sent his kids and wife inland, but decided to stay because the storm’s track was not all that certain and he was concerned about looters. So he’s on the phone to his wife, calmly describing how he has moved to the second floor because water is hip deep on the ground floor of their home, when he interrupts and says “Gotta go, the house is on fire”. He swims away from his burning house in the middle of the hurricane. Took him 24 hours to find a TV crew that would loan him a cellphone so he could call his wife and tell her that he lived.

Best story about stupid - the Danbury Volunteer Fire Department has a big generator, and most of them stayed through the storm – so they were all ready to render assistance. But they forgot to put oil in the generator.  {nono} It ran for 257 hours, and then exploded. Now they are running on a little Honda.

Best story about bad planning – the Danbury water system has a main well, without any backup power, and an emergency well, with a generator. But the emergency well was not plumbed into the City water system. So the entire City has been running for a week on a ethnically-engineered system that involves three inch fire hoses connecting the well to the nearest fire hydrant.

Best story about industry – my friend Butch, who has hydraulics, was been running around town with his BEEG tractors, pulling downed trees off the power lines, so the power crews can make repairs. The City thought that was a good idea and hired him to clean the piles of trees and trash that were accumulating along the streets.

Best little old ladies – we have been a part of two little old lady “rescues”. They hate to be rescued – independence is important to them. When we found out Bernice was out of oxygen and needed power to breathe – she was trying to call a list of OTHER elderly people she was worried about.  o(:-) When Annie finally called and asked if we could get some water to her – she was worried about her cats (she’s the local cat lady).  o(:-)

Funniest personal moment – when Bernice got power and we had an extra generator, we took it to my exH. He had been without power for several days. I forgot it was his birthday. So he and Susie Swivelhips, current girlfriend were on their way out to dinner. He lingered to learn how to operate the generator. When he got power back a couple of days later, we went over to transfer his house back to the grid. Susie Swivelhips said “You guys are great” in the way that doesn’t make it a compliment. I told her we do useful things! (As though I thought it WAS a compliment). lol

Some great, but not personal moments – The city park was hit hard. Giant pecan trees crumpled like paper, trees 35 to 50 feet tall, 50 or more years old, reduced to heaps. About day two someone decided that the park was a priority, so the kids would have somewhere to go. All day long pickups would arrive. Guys would lower their tail gate and fiddle with their chain saws, and then just join in. No organized effort, just people driving by who decided to help. The park was cleared within a day – all volunteer.   @O@

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A week after the storm
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »
Those are all neat stories.    :2thumbs:    You write very well. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
DAMMMMMM...no pix! I wanna see pix!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »
Thanks for the stories. I almost felt like I was there. 

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D
Thankyou for shareing !

bonnie

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:28:36 PM »

Ditto that. You will have those stories for the rest of your life. Cherish the good ones.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
Great stories, and I'm glad you guys/gals are all pitching in to help your community.   o(:-)

P.S.  Loved the "Susie Swivelhips" moniker!   lol

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »
Great stories! I read them all to Mimi.  and yes, we laughed a lot at the 'Susie Swivelhips'. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »
I love the descriptive way you write (big compliment!  ;) ) and describe the events.  Way more interesting to read than the boring, poorly written newspapers here.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 07:12:17 PM »
Glad everything is OK with you,but like the rest, Suzy swielhips deserves pics. O0
I have a friend who lives 80 miles north of Galveston, and he is OK, but with damage. Very resiliant guy.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »
Great stories....thanks for sharing
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline kntry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 06:36:23 AM »
Thanks for the stories, Sav.

Catastrophes bring out the best and worst in people. 

Even though the stupid stories of the city are really stupid, they didnt' cause massive destruction.  When Jefferson Parish flooded in Katrina, it was solely due to the fact that the Parish President sent the personnel that controlled the water pumping stations to higher ground.  The problem with that is, he didn't tell them to turn the pumps on before they left. >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(-    My parents and in-laws were two of the thousands of houses that had several feet of water in them that would have otherwise been dry.

How are the horses and cows?  Did the birds survive?

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 06:44:14 AM »
We didn't lose a single chicken. :)
You would think that when the barn roof came off, the chickens would have been exposed to the full force of the wind.
But they made it just fine - a little hungry (like that's a change?)  lol

The horses were spooked, but quieted down when my daughter rode them.
The cattle were wet, but otherwise appeared to have missed the whole thing.

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 06:05:22 AM »
Update 02Oct08

As of yesterday, the last house in "town" now has power.  But there are plenty of places just outside the city limits which are still dark.  And then there are hundreds of meters which feed important but "low priority" users like livestock wells.  The official word is these may remain dark for another month or two!.

We've cleaned-up almost completely.  We're sort of proud of this, actually.  All of the other towns look like Beirut after a mortar attack, while Danbury has dusted itself off very nicely. Two of our local "good ol' boys" with hydraulics and testosterone and the manpower to make it all work, took-up the task of moving thousands of yards of brush and rubble.  They made it into sort of a contest.  Thusly, there are no piles of limbs or brush remaining, and if you tap the blinders just a *wee* bit narrower than usual, you could almost believe nothing had ever happened here.  (Then again, there is this HUGE burn pile just outside the city limits waiting for the right environmental conditions to be torched-off.  BTW: My son is looking at that burn pile and trying to figure-out who he needs to bribe to get the honor of lighting the first match.  lol)

Life goes on, but there is an undercurrent started here which I hope catches-on.  It's the realization that reliance on the government to solve your problems is misplaced.  When the chips are down, it isn't how you voted or who did better in the debates... it's how well YOU prepared.  In a disaster, politicians are little more than noisy, expensive baggage.  They tend to get in the way and annoy people. 

In a pinch you turn to your friends, family and neighbors.  And they turn to you.  And everybody puts their back into it and suddenly THINGS GET DONE. 

A Half-Serious Giggle:  My choice for president?  Tim Leatherman.  He's the guy who invented the Leatherman multi-tool.  No question about it:  he did more for our local recovery effort than all the politicians combined!

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »
Having worked for a local government I can attest to their waste and ineffeciency.  If only we could just somehow capture all that hot air blown off by politicians and we could solve the energy crisis..... :P

Glad to hear you guys pulled together to fix things.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
Part of the success locally was that its basically a rural, redneck community. Most folks have a generator, and if they don't, they have a welder. You can turn a welder into a generator easily - its designed to do it.

People naturally have tractors, chain saws, and the other implements of a hard life.

So the resources are here.  @O@

Neighboring Angleton - only 8 miles away as the crow flies, still has piles of rubble in the streets, and vastly more damage - they weren't damaged worse, they just haven't fixed it.
ITs mostly urban, not rural. So the people don't have the tools.

Planning is about tools and supplies.  8)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 08:48:10 PM »
Your advice is well taken, Savannah.   Until you mentioned tools I never even thought about the aftermath of a catastrophic event besides staying alive.  Your experiences have taught me and I'm sure many about planning ahead.  Thank you so very much!  o(:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"