Author Topic: More on Pay Pal phifshing  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
More on Pay Pal phifshing
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:50:44 PM »
We now have PAY PAL as many of you requested. I got a statement today for a 300.00 cell phone purchase i never made, in fact i have NEVER purchased through Pay Pal.
The statement gave me the opportunity to dispute the purchase.
 {nono} {nono} {nono}
The problem is this very real looking site asked for far too many pieces of information.
I did not continue and will call Pay Pal Monday.  They said I am to be prepared with the following info.  Guess what?  it was minimal and reasonable.

A few years ago I suspect I'd have gone for  {nono}it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:44:53 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: A scam is in the works
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 04:55:32 PM »
Jerry, that is definitely a scam. Paypal does not work that way, they will never ever send you an email requiring you to click on a link and/or provide account information. Do not follow the links, do not provide any information.

Forward the email to spoof@paypal.com

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 05:00:46 PM »
I have been deleting emails from paypal for a long time now. If I have'nt used it, it isn't real. PERIOD!

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 05:26:08 PM »
Thanks Karen and Steve.  It is scary out there.   
Steve  i did change the post re my back to "Rabid" I'd hoped you would crack up, or wonder if you read it right. Steve check out the monster Mako too.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:42:17 AM »
Yah Jerry, I used to get those every so often saying I was paying for a $3000 watch. What a joke. That's the last thing I'd buy if I had that much to blow.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 08:51:01 AM »
Jerry, DID YOU click on the links?

IF SO, you need to run scans on your computer right away, you may have downloaded a keylogger.

Run full virus scan, Ad Aware, Spy Bot Search and Destroy etc.

I get those scam emails on email addresses that don't have any connection to my PayPal account. I get them from a bunch of banks I don't have accounts to also. They are all phishing for your passwords. Hundreds of people fall for them daily.

PayPal will NEVER give you an opportunity to "dispute" a purchase and NEVER ask you to click links to enter passwords etc.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:49:42 PM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 11:36:03 AM »
Good advice LeeAnne. I am doing it NOW! :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 09:05:31 AM »
Everyone should know that IF your account with PayPal, eBay, your bank etc. EVER has a real problem, all you have to do to check on it is to Logon from your browser, NEVER from ANY email.

If everything looks fine when you logon, the email is a spoof.

PayPal puts a big pink banner across your account page when there are issues.

People get scared because a lot of these emails say a large purchase has been charged to their account/cc etc. However, when you do buy something, do you ever get these emails?..........

You can always dispute a charge on your credit card/account.

Unfortunately, these phishing email scams soooooooo common.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »
Also scam emails will never address you by your name!!!  They will be address to dear paypal user...  JUNKMAIL!!!
Mary

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 05:15:30 PM »
Hey was your's scam for a cell phone too??  Yup!

Dear PayPal Member,

This email confirms that you have paid Sony Ericsson W810i         (sales@payhalf.com) $398.88  USD using PayPal.

The PayPal member is what gives it away first and foremost as a scam email.  I don't even forward them much to spoof anymore..  :D
Mary

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 06:33:36 PM »
yep Lady it was for a cell phone too.
I may be the last man on earth w/o a cell.  yes My wife has one for emergencies
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »
Jerry, I probably still wouldn't have one but my oldest son bought one for me for Christmas. I finally learned how to use it.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 09:24:10 PM »
NO CELL PHONE?????!!!??????  :o  :o

I've got a cell phone with camera and wireless bluetooth headset....  I can't imagine not having a cell phone.  We could almost cancel our house phone except for the dsl that comes in through it!
Mary

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 10:22:38 PM »
Yep "analog guy here trapped in a digital world."  I didn't use that on my avatar for no reason.
if this were 20 years ago I would no doubt, have one. 
I am amazed i am as computer literate as I am.
Esther, our son in law bought ours for my wife.  He should pay the monthlies too! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
Just got this today, geeezz
Another scam, seems endless, your comments please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Department Notice

You have received this email because you or someone had used your account from different locations. For security purpose, we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of customers. To protect the security of your account, PayPal employs some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the PayPal system for unusual activity.

Our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved. To securely confirm your PayPal information please click on the link bellow:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Please Note:
If we do no receive the appropriate account verification within 48 hours, then we will assume this PayPal account is fraudulent and will be suspended. The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Copyright © 1999-2006 PayPal. All rights reserved.
Information about FDIC pass-through insurance

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:29:09 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: More on Pay Pal phifshing
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 05:15:44 AM »
First order of the day, delete 10 or so paypal scams. A dozen or so ebay scams. Then five or so from Vietnam, a few from China, a couple of silly ones from Nigeria, the occasional east european... a couple of 'you won the lottery' a couple of dozen unsolicited spam from the likes of kohl's and gevalia coffee etc

The dawn chorus, click, click click....

:::delete:::

I wonder how many folk get using hotmail accounts?

regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 08:32:38 AM »
I don't get nearly as many Andy.
Do understand that because of our tee shirt sales i opened a Pay Pal account.  So when I suddenly began getting this stuff, I was alarmed.

MY favorite scams are the ones from Nigeria.  Sadly they must work sometines and some poor shnook get hurt.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »
I was on Ebay the other day looking for a laptop keyboard and saw a used laptop listed. In the message area, there was one to the seller saying someone would pay $2500 American cash for it because they need the laptop very badly for their business in, I forget what country. The seller told him that he only accepted Paypal and that he was forwarding the message to the Ebay security police.

Boy these crooks find all kinds of ways to either launder money or get your info.

Years ago I came into the kitchen and heard my husband spieling off his social security number on  the telephone. I about wet my pants. Fortunately it was a legitimate inquiry because of a mistake on our tax records stemming from his employer. But my Dh received a good lecture about that kind of stuff. You know, plumbers don't get much into financial fraud. 

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »
Jerry, yup that's another one. Don't click the link. The real Paypal doesn't do stuff like that.  :no:

Read This:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vdc-security-spoof-outside
From the Paypal site:
10 ways to recognize fake (spoof) emails

1. Generic greetings. Many spoof emails begin with a general greeting, such as: "Dear PayPal member." If you do not see your first and last name, be suspicious and do not click on any links or button.
   2. A fake sender's address. A spoof email may include a forged email address in the "From" field. This field is easily altered.
   3. A false sense of urgency. Many spoof emails try to deceive you with the threat that your account is in jeopardy if you don't update it ASAP. They may also state that an unauthorized transaction has recently occurred on your account, or claim PayPal is updating its accounts and needs information fast.
   4. Fake links. Always check where a link is going before you click. Move your mouse over it and look at the URL in your browser or email status bar. A fraudulent link is dangerous. If you click on one, it could:
          * Direct you to a spoof website that tries to collect your personal data.
          * Install spyware on your system. Spyware is an application that can enable a hacker to monitor your actions and steal any passwords or credit card numbers you type online.
          * Cause you to download a virus that could disable your computer.
   5. Emails that appear to be websites. Some emails will look like a website in order to get you to enter personal information. PayPal never asks for personal information in an email.
   6. Deceptive URLs. Only enter your PayPal password on PayPal pages. These begin with https://www.paypal.com/
          * If you see an @ sign in the middle of a URL, there's a good chance this is a spoof. Legitimate companies use a domain name (e.g. https://www.company.com).
          * Even if a URL contains the word "PayPal," it may not be a PayPal site. Examples of deceptive URLs include: www.paypalsecure.com, www.paypa1.com, www.secure-paypal.com, and www.paypalnet.com.
          * Always log in to PayPal by opening a new web browser and typing in the following: https://www.paypal.com/
          * Never log in to PayPal from a link in an email
   7. Misspellings and bad grammar. Spoof emails often contain misspellings, incorrect grammar, missing words, and gaps in logic. Mistakes also help fraudsters avoid spam filters.
   8. Unsafe sites. The term "https" should always precede any website address where you enter personal information. The "s" stands for secure. If you don't see "https," you're not in a secure web session, and you should not enter data.
   9. Pop-up boxes. PayPal will never use a pop-up box in an email as pop-ups are not secure.
  10. Attachments. Like fake links, attachments are frequently used in spoof emails and are dangerous. Never click on an attachment. It could cause you to download spyware or a virus. PayPal will never email you an attachment or a software update to install on your computer.

If you receive a spoof email, forward the entire email - including the header information - to us at: spoof@paypal.com, then delete it from your mailbox. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name.
Karen

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 08:55:27 AM »
Karen that is one fine post.  I hope it gets seen a lot.  I did make a few "favorite Places" from your list.
You may be saving readers a fortune not to mention the headaches involved, {-) O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 04:00:15 PM »
It never ceases, does it.

Jerry, me too, no cell phone. I just have never felt compelled to report my life down to which aisle in the supermarket I am. If it is important, I would have phoned somebody about it before I went shopping. The emergency thing is always quoted to me, but I figured people have been having emergencies for well over 10,000 years now, and somehow, the human species moved on without the cell phone.

OK, now Breyers Natural Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream - how on earth did we ever emerge from the Dark Ages without that!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 04:53:22 PM »
It is a scam.

It is NOT from PayPal.

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK, you can compromise your computer by clicking on the links in these phishing emails.
even if you do not enter any information you can download a keylogger, tracking cookie, etc.

PayPal does not EVER send emails asking you to click on a link. Delete it or forward it to spoof@paypal.com.

There is no reason to call PayPal over this very common phishing email.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 08:44:07 PM »
I figured people have been having emergencies for well over 10,000 years now, and somehow, the human species moved on without the cell phone.

OK, now Breyers Natural Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream - how on earth did we ever emerge from the Dark Ages without that!

Cheers,

Mike

You betcha! More than 10,000 years... how about 2.5 million?  (8:-)

And the Breyer's Ice Cream... if one is not eating it, then one has never actually emerged from the Dark Ages.  (8:-) ;)
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"