Author Topic: Wave of protests follow Mexico's crime spike  (Read 2860 times)

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wave of protests follow Mexico's crime spike
« on: August 31, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
MEXICO CITY - Hundreds of thousands of frustrated Mexicans, many carrying pictures of kidnapped loved ones, marched across the country Saturday to demand government action against a relentless tide of killings, abductions and shootouts.

The mass candlelight protests were a challenge to the government of President Felipe Calderon, who has made fighting crime a priority and deployed more than 25,000 soldiers and federal police to wrest territory from powerful drug cartels.

Cries of "enough" and "long live Mexico" rose up from sea of white-clad demonstrators filling Mexico City's enormous Zocalo square. The protesters held candles twinkling in the darkness as they sang the national anthem before dispersing.

"I've had enough. Kidnapping, corrupt police, a rotten judicial system," said Ricardo Robledo, a 43-year-old music producer who said he had been robbed numerous times. "This may begin a change."

City officials refused to give a crowd estimate, but the Zocalo can hold nearly 100,000 people. Tens of thousands overflowed into the surrounding streets, unable to squeeze into the square. Thousands more protested in cities across the country.

'We're desperate'
In the capital, Romana Quintera, 72, wore T-shirt with a photograph of her baby grandson, who was kidnapped for ransom five years ago when gunmen burst into her home and killed her niece. Two people imprisoned for the attack have refused to reveal the boy's fate, and Quintera said investigators have given up on the case.

"We're desperate," she said, holding back tears. "We ask authorities with all our heart to be more sensitive. Maybe nothing like this has happened to them, or they would be more sensitive."

Despite the arrest of several drug kingpins, little has improved the ground since the Calderon government began its crackdown.

Homicides have surged as drug cartels battle each other for control of trafficking routes and stage vicious attacks against police nearly each day. In the gang-plagued border state of Chihuahua alone, there have been more than 800 killings this year, double the number during the same period last year.

This week, a dozen headless bodies were found in the Yucatan Peninsula, home to Mexico's most popular beach resort, Cancun.

While impoverished Mexicans stage almost daily strikes and protests, Saturday's marches brought out thousands of middle-class citizens who are often the targets of kidnappings. The protest was inspired by the abduction and murder of the 14-year-old son of a wealthy businessman — a case that provoked an outcry when prosecutors said a police detective was a key participant in the abduction for ransom.

The boy's father, Alejandro Marti, called on top government officials to quit if they could not stem the crime wave. His challenge became a rally cry at the march, where many held up signs with his words: "If you can't, resign."

The first to arrive for the Mexico City protest was the family of 24-year-old Monica Alejandrina Ramirez, who was kidnapped on in 2004 and has not been heard from since.

Hours before the march began, the family stood silently beneath the independence monument, holding up large banners with her picture. Some colleagues of her mother, a circus performer, walked on stilts and wore clown wigs to help draw attention.

"The most frustrating thing has been the indolence of many of the authorities, their insensitivity," said her father, Manuel Ramirez Juarez, a family doctor. "I have often asked myself, why? Why me? Why my daughter?"

Calderon responds to anger
Having staked his presidency on improving security, Calderon responded to the rising anger by summoning governors and mayors to a national security meeting, drawing up a a 74-point anti-crime plan.

It included plans for better police recruiting and oversight systems, as well as an anti-kidnapping strategy within six months. The Defense Department promised to equip police with more powerful automatic weapons.

Calderon has urged patience, warning that rooting out drug gangs and bringing security to the streets would not happen by decree.

Neither will cleaning up and bolstering Mexico's police.

In some northern towns, officers complain of having to share guns, and many have quit in terror after seeing colleagues killed in front of their homes.

More than half of Mexico's state and municipal police officers have only a primary education, making it difficult for them to aspire to the highest ranks and salaries. Many are tempted to join the payrolls of criminal gangs.

"When you go out, you go with fear — are you going to make it home or not?" said Almicar Polanco, 42, marching with about 2,000 others in the border city of Tijuana, across from San Diego. He clutched a flier with a faded picture of his father-in-law, kidnapped two years earlier and missing ever since.

hope it gets better before it gets worse
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wave of protests follow Mexico's crime spike
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
Yes, I had read that last evening.  It's good to see the people have had enough and that you live in a nation where people are allowed to express their anger when government fails to do its job.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
yes i am proud, people really needed to speak up since a long time and there are still some things that we need to speak up for

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »
Saw it in the LA Times this morning.  A great thing!  let us hope the corrupt goernment doesn't squash them.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:45:51 PM »
I marched last night here in Mérida.  It was a much smaller crowd than in the capitol but it was inspiring.  Families, children, as the article said it was regular, middle class people who don't usually protest but who want peace and order in their country and their lives.  My architect told me that his father, who has never been very political and who always told the kids that they should just work hard and not get too involved in politics, sent all 7 of his adult children an email that he feared for his grandchildren and their children if the violence continued to grow.  He asked, more like told, all of his children to join him at the march with their families.   I looked for them but never saw them in the crowd.  At the end, there was a prolonged chant of the city's name ¡Mérida! over and over and over.   It was as if they were calling her or consoling her or telling her they cared.  Very, very emotional and inspiring.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
i went to here but then it started rainign ugh so we couldnt light the candles, and yeah every city in mexico had this march and at the end light up their candles @O@
hope mexico losses its corrupt government

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »
I am only peripherally aware of Mexico's politics. But since I work along the border quite often, have noticed the violence. So far its not been directed at tourists and gringos. But I am nervous going across.
Last year, I had to take a trip to Valadeses - not too far north of Reynosa, between Reynosa and N. Laredo. That week there had been some more police gunned down in N. Laredo. So there were roadblocks, checking for guns. What scared me the most was not the roadblocks, per se - we know the rules and don't take guns into Mexico - but the age of the soldiers. They were CHILDREN. With submachine guns... very frightening.
I can't imagine they are old enough to have any judgment about when to use guns and when to refrain. And in the current atmosphere - if they feel threatened, they NEED to shoot, because they wouldn't get a second chance.

Howell - isn't the point that the Mexican government is trying to cut out the corruption, and the gangs want it to continue? So they are killing off police chiefs and law enforcement leaders? Very dangerous time for the people who are trying to make things better?  {-)

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:41:35 AM »
I find the border areas the most dangerous, we try not to stop until we are at least 100km south of the border.  Truthfully, I'm not fond of the border towns on the north side either, they are also dangerous.  It's a difficult border, you have a supply on one side and customers willing to spend millions on the other. It all comes to a frightening clash right along that strip and for a ways on either side.

I don't drive my RV into east LA or the dangerous parts of Detroit but I have to cross the border.  I just try and do it quickly and efficiently and get the h*ll on away.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:02:54 AM »
well i do stop in the border is not like by someway i might get killed, lol, but yeah it all its concentrated there because the violance comes whenever they try to get more power and sell more drugs to the US, so thats why there is much violence over there than anywhere else in mexico, i do hope all this finishes and that violence finishes, we do need peace, i have had never paid attention to the soldiers lol, but yeah i think they might be young

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »
Oh, I meant to comment on the youth of the Mexican Army.  Many of them are very young, just as many of our soldiers are as well and we send them into danger too.  They need to be 17 I believe to join the army, the thing is that for some of us that age looks like a toddler  lol  In fact, they look younger every year to me  lol  lol

What I like and respect about the Mexican army is that they get in and get dirty in helping out their country and their fellow citizens.  I will never forget coming into the QRoo coast just after Wilma struck and seeing thousands of Mexican soldiers out in the towns and villages, digging and cleaning and re-building alongside the residents.  They don't just stand around with a gun and watch others work as it seems our National Guard did in NOLA.  There are dozens of pictures of soldiers carrying people out of the flood waters, rescuing people from collapsed buildings, etc.  Just as common though were the soldiers I saw with brooms and shovels, cleaning and digging out the mud.  The govt massed the army along with heavy earthmoving equipment and portable hospitals and kitchens just outside the area hit by Wilma.  As soon as the hurricane moved on (she stayed over us for 48 hours!!) they moved in and started working.  So, they may be young and many are small but they are huge heroes in my book.   

It's a good job for a kid from a rural area, the army pays well compared to field work, they educate and train their soldiers, they offer career courses, and they get a young man out of his isolated village show him the rest of the country.   When we pull up to the military inspections stops across the country, I tend to play the grandmother role, handing out cold cokes and even cookies to these young men out in extreme weather and far from home.   They are very polite and very respectful. 

I have a funny story.  They are charged with inspecting cars and trucks, they often wave us through but sometimes, perhaps just because they are bored or they want to know what is inside an RV, they want to come in and inspect.  On one of these occasions, the young man (who did look about 14 to me) opened a closet drawer and was confronted with my under garments!.  He turned almost burgundy, fumbled trying to close the drawer, apologized profusely and got the heck out of the RV as fast as he could.  We laughed for miles.  I have heard other RVers say that if they don't want them looking in an area (like the shower where they maybe have food they shouldn't) they will string up their lacy bras and pants over it and the soldiers get too embarrassed to look there.   Another friend with a 5th wheel trailer, always goes back to open the trailer and then takes her shoes off before entering.  The soldiers look confused and then just stick their heads in and never enter.  They wear those big lace up boots and they would never enter a woman's kitchen with their dirty boots if she didn't want them to.

Now that we have 3 dogs and one a big Doberman, we rarely have them come inside to search.  The Dobie snarls and barks the whole time and while we hold her I think they are doubtful.  Of course, we are secretly encouraging her too and she always gets a treat afterwards.  The other 2 have noticed the treat giving and now they are barking and growling too. 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 07:20:42 PM »

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »
yeah i know it must be
and yeha joanna im sure they are young and they help a lot

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »
L.A. Times article about corruption on the Tecate police department

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-soriano7-2008sep07,0,6331687.story

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »
i am so killing those drug dealers, poor soriano, he was a nice mexican man and a good cop, poor girls now they are fatherless, man that makes me furious >:(-
but reality isnt good for this country and those stupid drug dealers ugh i hate them
mexico is supposed to be the country with more family education meaning that here in mexico families are so important and the first sociaty you actually deal with, so what's their problem dont they have families too, do they just think about them or what?, so if mexico is the country were families are more close and get together like everyday, whats going on?, i just dont know.
america that is the country were families dont get together so often or even see each other that often have not this kind of problem so what's going on?
i just have no idea but wish things were different
im sorry if i didnt make sense
mikey thanks for the post, i apreciate it so much

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
Our law enforcement agecies in America are not totally free of corruption.  Fortunately though for the most part the corruption is confined to a few individuals who are eventually weeded out.  I believe corruption is held down by the hiring standards.  Each state sets up minimum hiring guidelines for peace officers.  Some states are more strict than others and within those states cities can make the hiring standards even more stringent if they want.  I've noticed that police applicants rejected by our department often found themselves working for very small departments or college police departments that may not have had as high a hiring standard.  By the time we finish doing a background investigation of a police applicant I think we know more about the kid than his/her parents knew about them  {:-P;;  We contact lots of friends, relatives, aquaintances, neighbors, former neighbors, all employers and former employers, co-workers and military contacts.  We check all law enforcement records of local, state, federal and international locations where the applicant has lived or worked.  We check their financial records, high school/college records and medical records.  We do a Lexux-Nexus inquiry for lawsuits.  If they still have not washed out we do drug screeing, a psych written exam, a psych interview and polygraph (lie detector) exam. 

Just before I retired I had an insignificant role in investigating two of our officers suspected of being a part of a team of officers from another large department who were suspected of taking down drug dealers and stealing their cash and drugs.  The investigation was kept secret and involved local, county, state and federal investigators.  These officers were well paid by the jurisdictions they worked for.  They were just greedy and dishonest.  They are now in federal prison......and will be so for many years. 

To improve hiring standards, anytime one of our officers is arrested/dismissed we take another look at their background investigation to see what, if anything, was overlooked. 

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »
I agree, the standards for hiring are high generally in the US and particularly in Calif.  Higher usually in large cities with deep pockets because we get sued more.  Getting to that point in Mexico is a huge ball of string. I can't quite see where the beginning would be.  Mexico City at one point hired Rudy Guiliani to come and work on their police hiring and procedures.  I think that kind of faded away. 

The US has not always had these standards for police, think of Tammany Hall and some of the more corrupt cities on the eastern seaboard a couple generations ago.  Somehow we have worked towards these standards and that is what Mexico needs to do.  I hope they can figure out how to do it because I think that without police you can trust (and most Mexicans definitely do not trust the police and often for good reason) you can't begin to have a society that operates on fairness.  I do think there are honest police here in Mexico and I've met some of them.  Some areas are better than others in this and it all comes from the top, the head of any department sets the standards for his agency.  We've seen that locally in Calif and in other places.  If you have an honest man at the top then he will support that kind of behavior and come down on the dishonest.  Of course, if the narcos quickly kill anyone who crosses them then it gets a lot harder to hire those honest men. 

The entire justice system is being changed in Mexico, there will now be open trials with the judge present and the attorneys making arguments.  In the past, all documents were submitted to the judge who read them and issued a ruling.  Public trials will help, I'm not convinced that it is the great thing they are touting it to be.  I think too often in our justice system the best orator is rewarded rather than the best case, "if the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit".   I do think it is important that the preceedings are public, that alone will help to control some graft.  Most important in my mind, it is necessary that the citizens start demanding openness in all areas of politics and criminal justice.   I was encouraged by the recent march for this reason, it was regular middle class people saying that they want more from their government, they want to feel safe in their homes and cities.   It has definitely gotten the politicians attention, I hope it inspires change.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
i hope it so much too, one change will make this country a better place, people will love to come down here without worring about anything, one thing for sure is that they have started doing something, like catching some of the biggest narcos in this country i saw it on the news

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »
Mexican grenade attack shows no one is safe

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080917/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_explosion_11

By TRACI CARL, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 17, 3:23 AM ET

MORELIA, Mexico - The message was clear when two explosions ripped through crowds of Mexican Independence Day revelers: Anyone, anywhere, is fair game when it comes to Mexico's intensifying violence.

What wasn't clear was exactly who threw the two fragmentation grenades at a holiday celebration in the picturesque town of Morelia, killing seven people and injuring more than 100 others.

Michoacan Gov. Leonel Godoy immediately pointed a finger at the state's warring drug cartels. "Without a doubt, we believe this was done by organized crime," he said, but offered little to back up his claim.

Following an emergency meeting with Godoy, President Felipe Calderon pledged an immediate military response, the federal government's answer to drug violence.

"These illegal acts were clearly attacking our national security, committed by true traitors who have no respect for others or for the country," Calderon said. "Those who believe they can use fear to hold our society hostage and immobilize us are mistaken."

While drug gangs were the No. 1 suspect, the attack against what appeared to be innocent civilians was unusually random, even for Mexico's brutal cartels — making it clear that fewer and fewer places in the violence-wracked country are safe.

No one has been detained in the explosions, and officials declined to say if anyone had claimed responsibility. The federal Attorney General's office immediately took the case from state investigators and refused to give any details.

The grenades rocked Morelia's crowded central square around 11:00 p.m. on Monday, just seconds after Godoy delivered the traditional "Viva, Mexico!" cry to thousands of revelers gathered for Independence Day fireworks, mariachi music and dancing.

Godoy, who was unhurt, said witnesses saw a heavyset man dressed in black throw one of the grenades and then beg forgiveness for what he had done, before slipping away in the crowd. Godoy gave no other details.

As night fell Tuesday, about 100 people gathered nearby for a candlelight vigil, chanting: "We want peace!"

It wouldn't be the first time cartels have surprised Mexico's increasingly jaded public.

Beheadings, once unheard of, are commonplace, and a growing number of children are now being targeted or caught in the crossfire as drug gangs battle for territory and smuggling routes.

The increased brutality has even started a public debate between cartels, which hang banners blaming rival gangs for attacks and asking the public to turn against them.

One of the most violent regions in Mexico is Michoacan. The state's capital Morelia is Calderon's hometown — and the first area to be blanketed with soldiers after he took office in late 2006.

Two of Mexico's main drug gangs are believed to be warring for control of lucrative drug routes that include Michoacan's Lazaro Cardenas port, its remote Pacific coastline and its relatively unpopulated pine-covered mountains, where thousands of monarch butterflies flock every year to nest.

Drug violence isn't the only crime on the rise in Mexico. Carjackings, kidnappings and muggings have all increased in recent years, and both the poor and the rich are targeted.

Shadowy rebel groups (*See Ace's note below) have also attacked oil and gas pipelines, banks and government offices, but have been careful never to kill anyone.

Most killings have been drug-related, prompting Calderon to send more than 25,000 soldiers to cartel strongholds across the country. Gangs have only responded with more violence: buying police protection, killing those who can't be bought or forcing entire units to resign in fear.

Calderon, though, has refused to back down. After Monday night's attacks, he urged Mexicans to not be afraid.

"The Mexican people, especially on this important date, should remain united in the face of those who want to divide us," he said. But his pleas went largely unnoticed, and many Mexicans lashed out at his government for failing to stop the rising wave of violence. 

Alfredo Sanchez, 53, was one of the revelers killed in the explosions Monday, as he waited near the plaza for his wife and kids to park the family car. After searching hospitals to find him, his family learned he was dead when they saw television footage of the attack and noticed his lifeless body lying in the street in blood.

His sister Isabel Sanchez said she doesn't care who launched the grenades. She just wants police to make streets safe again.

"We are tired of living like this," she said at his wake. "I don't understand why my brother died."

Another sister, her eyes red from weeping, wondered what future havoc the attackers might wreak.

"What did they gain from doing this?" Maria Elena Sanchez cried hoarsely. "They just made things worse."

* "Shadowy rebel groups..?"  You mean like TERRORISTS..?

And the difference between Mexico and Iraq is what exactly..?

Problems Solved - Questions Answered
CALIFORNIA STATE PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR LICENSE NO. PI-21952
-Licensed Since 1975-
(661) 944-3546

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 12:36:53 PM »
everybody is so mad, now, they want to take all those drug dealers down, people that never cared, now they do because that day was mexican independence day a really special day for mexicans, and they didnt hurt just some random people and made us fear them, they made us hate them more, now everyone is so mad, and are so taking them down even though if they are familiars, people are so mad, i have heard lots of bad comments about those terrorist, mexico used to be so safe, you could be past 3 o'clock outside hanging  out and it was fine, but now ugh!!!,
well good thing is, people that were there have sent a video where there appears a guy they believe its the terrorist, it seems it is a young guy, maybe around 23 or 24,  and if they catch him they said, they are not just going after him they wanna know who is the masterhead behind all this, i really hope they will break them down, and people here dont deserve that, that was just what cowards do.
there are 130  hurt people, 50 are fine now, 7 are dead.
some of them lost their body parts, like legs.
"we want a better place, we want mexico back" that's what people were saying, and those drug dealers are so going down.
yesterday a wise man said " we ain't gonna break down, but, you are"
i really hope this will show the mexican government that we need them to do something, they have to, and not later nowwwwww.
mexican history will change after this, and i do hope it will change for good.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
This was a crossing point, a watershed, and I do believe that these sub-human terrorists have alienated many people that once looked on them benignly.  I believe, and I am reading the same in the press, that this was a message aimed at Presidente Calderon, the president of Mexico.  It was the most patriotic night of the year, in his home town, at the moment of the Grito and they killed poor people, working people, families who have no part in this.  To his credit, Presidente Calderon is fighting for his country, he is not rolling over and letting the narcos run it.  I applaud him and I hope he can stay the course.  Personally, I fear it will get worse before it gets better but I hope I'm wrong.  Still, I don't feel you can be afraid all the time.  I will continue to live this life I love in this country that I also love, I will be more aware of my surroundings for sure and I may avoid large events for awhile.  It's similar to the aftermath of 9-11, some people will let it control their lives, never fly again or avoid places they might want to see but are afraid could be targets.  I'm not like that, I will continue to enjoy my life and look out for my neighbors and friends and hope that this war, and it is a war, will be won by the forces of law and justice.   ¡Viva México!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 05:22:30 AM »
yep
yeah i dont live with fear, but i am still mad, poor people
and joanna did you go to the mexican grito, i didnt but i went to a family party it was crazy, we ate like hogs, lots of tacos, pozole, flan, etc.
even though i did not go i still saw the fireworks, plus i did not have school  @O@
nice weekend

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
I missed the Grito this year, I've been sick this past week.  Pretty wiped out and not up for going anywhere.  Of course, I have to get sick on the biggest 4 day holiday weekend of the year!  Even so, the doctor made a house call and gave a shot and some medication and I feel pretty good now.  I didn't even hear many fireworks out here on the beach, we're too far from a big city.   About 11pm, right after the time of the Grito, a huge thunderstorm came through with booming thunder that was louder than any cohete and a downpour of tropical rain.  So, I doubt the celebration lasted too long over in the pueblo.  Next year, I will try to be in Merida for the holiday.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 01:25:48 PM »
yep,
but what i loved the most was the food.....
hey i have been so sick to maybe is the weather change, which is crazy one day we were in the 100's and the next day on the 60's, because of the first cold fron, so i am pretty sick, bad thing i still have to go to school >:(- lol

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jqzqoiKZ8ghyDErTaphhSTKlNrIgD93AI4CO0

Mexico combats police corruption with mortgages
By MORGAN LEE – 53 minutes ago

MORELIA, Mexico (AP) — Mexican police are testing a new weapon against widespread corruption in their ranks: home ownership.

Officers and prison guards in Michoacan state can now get special deals on houses and financing through a pilot program designed to keep them out of the pockets of organized crime. The strategy is part of Mexico's desperate push to professionalize local law enforcement, infamous for extorting bribes at bogus traffic stops and providing security for drug lords.

Through a partnership between a private homebuilder and the state, more than 4,000 police and prison guards who normally wouldn't qualify are eligible for mortgages on brand new homes under construction outside Morelia, the state capital. The state provides the land and gets refunded from the mortgage payments. The homeowners must pass background checks and forfeit the property if convicted of a crime.

The program fulfills a dream deferred for some police officers.

"It's the first time they've given us the opportunity and that anyone has cared about us," said Fabian Arreola, 33, a Michoacan highway patrolman and army veteran who grew up on a small ranch with a dirt floor. He supports a wife and three boys on about $9,600 a year.

"This is a dream for all of us who never had our own home," said Michoacan SWAT team officer Luis Alberto Cruz, a mortgage applicant who grew up in a one-bedroom apartment with seven siblings. He relies on hazard pay to make ends meet.

The program so far is exclusive to Michoacan, but the homebuilder, Real Estate for the Promotion of Housing with Dignity, is courting other Mexican states that cannot afford to build police housing. As it pours the first foundations on land provided by the state, the company says it could eventually crack an untapped mortgage market for 750,000 state and local police across Mexico.

It's a market with inherent risks. Most Mexican police officers earn less than $10,000 a year. And they are considered bigger credit risks than even street vendors or handicraft makers because of the chances of corruption or that they will get killed, said Jesus Perez, president of the development company, also known as INPROVIDI.

Also, corrupt officers fired from one police force often show up for work in other states.

"There's a high percentage of police who go jumping from state to state, from city to city because they don't do their job," Perez said. "Once a police officer understands that it means more to have a home, to set down roots, than to receive a bribe — albeit three times his salary — they're going to think twice about being corrupt."

Mexican President Felipe Calderon considers many police forces so corrupt and incompetent that he has sent 20,000 soldiers to fight gangs in drug-trafficking hot spots, starting with Michoacan, his home state. His administration also is raising federal police salaries, improving training and using soldiers to clean up corruption in local forces.

Last year, Tijuana police were stripped of their guns for weeks while soldiers checked to see if the weapons had been used in crimes. Police carried slingshots in protest.

Officers who remain clean become targets of intimidation and assassination. The war with organized crime has killed more than 450 law enforcement officials in the 18 months since Calderon took office.

Some analysts have doubts that a new home — and the prospect of losing it by committing a crime — will make Mexico's police walk the line.

"The police are incurably corrupt, and I don't see any way around it," said George Grayson, a Mexico expert at the College of William & Mary in Virginia.

Rights groups that monitor police corruption see potential in the new approach.

"It's quite an innovative way of doing business," said Jose Miguel Vivanco, executive director of the Americas for Human Rights Watch. But he also warned that more credible sanctions are needed, or else corrupt officers will have access to cheap mortgages.

Most homes in Mexico are still either inherited or built by hand. But government housing credits and a new generation of entrepreneurial nonbank lenders have spurred a housing boom over the past decade by reaching out to legions of Mexicans with no formal credit history. Developer INPROVIDI is partnering with at least two such private mortgage lenders to finance the Michoacan program.

More than half the 4,196 houses under construction in the parched hills outside Morelia are reserved for police and prison guards. About 2,100 police and guards have applied for loans on the houses, and 600 have been approved.

Those who pass criminal background checks can qualify for houses averaging about $32,000. They range from two-bedrooms and 410 square feet to two stories and 1,300 square feet.

Buyers will spend between 25 percent and 30 percent of their monthly income on mortgage payments, said Kristian Frich, INPROVIDI vice president. The annual fixed interest rate is about 13 percent — considered competitive in Mexico.

To minimize the risk of default, the lender pays for a financial adviser to help buyers with month-to-month planning. The police officers will also pay into an association to finance the upkeep of the development and retain home values.

Officers on the Michoacan force said homeownership will bring more dignity to a risky, poorly paid profession.

"I understand that corruption won't end," said Efrain Barrera, a 48-year-old deputy director of traffic and highways, whose says his mortgage application was accepted. "By bringing a little dignity to the police and elevating their living situation, it's an incentive for them. It also brings self-respect to their families."

Cruz, the SWAT officer, applied for a mortgage in June, eager to move out of a home owned by his in-laws. He's still awaiting approval.

He says mortgages may help attract better qualified officers. But housing probably won't make much of a dent in corruption, which he said usually starts with top commanders.

Meanwhile, Cruz is not too concerned about living in a subdivision full of police, who often are threatened by organized crime.

"It's going to be a safe subdivision because it's going to be full of police out there," he said. "I don't owe anyone anything. So why be scared?"

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »
his was posted bt a friend.Mexico to step up vehicle searches at US border

By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 59 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY - Mexico's government plans to search 10 percent of all vehicles entering the country from the United States in an effort to curb arms smuggling, the attorney general said Tuesday.

Most illegal weapons in Mexico come from the United States, according to officials in both countries. Many end up in the hands of powerful drug cartels who supply most of the cocaine entering the United States from South America.

Attorney General Eduardo Medina said the stepped up vehicle searches would start soon at Mexican custom checkpoints, though he did not give an exact date.

He said an average of 230,000 vehicles across into Mexico from the U.S. each day. The number searched changes throughout the year, and varies with each crossing point.

"Soon, at least 10 percent of vehicles crossing from north to south will be subjected to obligatory searches at customs," Medina said.

Michael Sullivan, the acting director of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said last month that investigators have traced 90 to 95 percent of weapons seized in Mexico to the United States.

Mexico seized more than 10,763 guns between December 2006 and August 2008, most of them assault rifles, according to a recent report from the Attorney General's Office. More than 1,400 grenades also were confiscated.

"What's clear, as we have often told many lawmakers in the U.S. Congress, is that the Second Amendment was not designed to arm criminal groups overseas, as is in fact occurring," Medina said, referring to the amendment in the U.S. Constitution on the right to bear arms.

In general, only law-enforcement officers or military personnel can legally possess guns in Mexico.

The stepped up vehicle searches come as Mexico's government struggles to reverse a surge in violent crime, much of it tied to the drug trade. Mexican police often complain of being outgunned by drug cartels, whose fierce attacks have prompted terrified officers to walk off the job.

Oh yeah..!  This makes me want to visit Paradise Mexico a lot...

IF Gunz are not allowed in Paradise Mexico?  Why is there so much crime there..?

AceIn Pearblossom

Problems Solved - Questions Answered
CALIFORNIA STATE PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR LICENSE NO. PI-21952
-Licensed Since 1975-
(661) 944-3546

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
Have you noticed the violence this week?
27 bodies, including a newly appointed police chief. :(

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »
The Gulf cartel is moving in on the remains of the Aurellano Felix cartel and the Sinaloa cartel is also trying to take Tijuana and the western border area.  Most of the killings were what I'd call misdemeanors, thugs killing thugs.  Still, it is an out of control war for power and drug trade routes.  I also believe that the federal govt here in MX is going all out to battle these cartels, killing and arresting many of the top guys which creates the vacuum that lets others try to move in.  I think it will continue to worsen for awhile, these guys are well entrenched and will not give up easily.  They are fighting each other and the feds and they have the money and guns to do it.  I pray that the feds win and that they stay the course and reduce the power of the cartels.   These are interesting times.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"