Author Topic: Maximum water temp for tropical lilies ?  (Read 781 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Maximum water temp for tropical lilies ?
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »
Can anyone tell me at what temperature your water would be too hot for tropicals?  I am fooling with propagating vivips and one on my tubs gets to 95 degrees.  Is that good or bad?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum water temp for tropical lilies ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »
I sure don't know but when I use to use kiddie pools the water got very hot.  The lilies seemed to show some distress but still grew and bloomed.  Water didn't stay this hot for more than a 3 or 4 days in a row.  Sometimes I used a sunbrella shade for the very hot days.

Are you growing the lilies outdoors?

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »
I have had my ponds at 106F and the tropicals thrived better than ever. Your 95F is better than optimum.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
Thank you Sean and Annette.  I'm glad to know I'm not cooking the poor little vivips.  Sean, you have been great inspiration for me and I am hoping I will have lots of tropicals (Tina, Panama Pacific, Lindsey Woods & Queen of Siam) to donate to my watergardening group for our plant sale next May.  The whole club is watching me and enjoying the adventure.  Our newsletter editor keeps dashing over for pictures to document the milestones. 

I am growing most in kiddie pools outside and those are closer to 80 degrees with a couple aquarium heaters.  The pool gets full sun but no extra light from lights.  I have about 100 babies in there in the famous dixie cups, though mine are 16 oz because the different colors in that size made ID much easier. 

The ones that were getting so hot are the leaves that are under lights and outside also.  Two 120 watt blue plant bulbs had the water at the 95 degrees I mentioned.  Usually I only put one light on but I am trying 2 because it is late in the year, I don't have many pads left to work with and I have extra lights to do two on some.  Once the plantlets start and get some roots I plant them in the Dixies and transfer them to the bigger pool. 

I was so excited the other day because one of the plantlets of Lindsey Woods, with roots but still on the mother pad and not in any soil, had a bud on it.  Now it is in soil and in the bigger pool.  I have to leave town (AGAIN!) for 2 weeks and hope it doesn't bloom before I get back.  If it does, my DH better call our newsletter editor so she can get her picture!

Casey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
That sounds great Casey!  You made me think and reread Sean's tutorial about growing vivips that I finally gave it a try....and I have 2 vivps that are growing leaves!!!  I'm amazed at what's happening.  I'm only using sunlight with the plantlet floating in a black take out container.  I think this one is a Miami Rose from Kat.

Definitely will have to study Sean's tutorial again to be successful growing a new lily!  Thanks Casey for your post!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"