Author Topic: end of summer 08 pond pix  (Read 2872 times)

Offline txpondnut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
end of summer 08 pond pix
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
Hi Everybody, My husband and I finished this pond in the spring of 2007 so this was it's 2nd summer. I'm learning about what will grow best bare root in the rocks with our type water/sun. I love to watch the pond change and grow plus all the different critters it attracts. Some of the birds I have never seen before and we have been here over 20 years. There are just a few comets and rosy minnows plus a golden minnow from a fishing trip. We did have a very pretty bluegill but it got too aggressive and bit the comets. Turns out it was only half bluegill. It was a hybrid crossed with a green sunfish. Who knew??? Anyway, I hope you like the pictures.
Michelle

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: end of summer 08 pond pix
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:10:56 PM »
Very Nice pond, Michelle!!!  I like the way it is just below your deck.  Ponds bring lots of life to the garden and good to know you have seen results from ponding.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:34:42 PM »
Yes, that is a great design.  You could sit on the deck, dangle your feet in the pond and feed the fish.  It gives them a spot to get out of the sun and hide from predators too.  Really nice. 

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »
I like it too!  It would be great to walk out on the deck and feed the fish.   O0

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
i love it.... lorraine
lorraine

Offline txpondnut

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 04:30:56 AM »
Thank you for the very nice comments. It's just a simple design with pump and bottom drain in the skimmer that is located under a door in top of the deck. We have a pressurized filter that goes into a waterfall filter. We do like to sit on the deck and let the fish nibble our toes. I had no idea how quickly I would become attached to these little fish. The pond is 3ft+ deep with straight sides and under the protection of our old dog, who loves to lay out by the pond. I do hope they will stay safe from big bird and the coon.
Michelle

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
Nice job,  I think you have done a nice job with your plantings, maybe some small sedums, thyme, something to soften the rocks and grow over them a bit, or some smaller flowers like moss roses for color.  Your water is very nice and clear......it all looks very nice.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jonathan

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
needs fish  :)
one pond too many fish and one that is takeing too long to get done

Offline txpondnut

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »
These are our fish, all male. The only female we had was egg bound and died but not before giving us "Mystery" the little black fish. In one picture you can see our little shiner. He is very fast and hard to catch in a picture.
 I have found that some plants just won't grow in our heat and hard water. I am always trying new plants though. They are planted between the rocks bare root. They seem to take longer to adjust but I'm hoping that they will clean the water better in the long run.
Michelle

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:56 AM »
Nice midnight blue shubunkin!  Hard to find. 
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:50 AM »
Very nice ! I like it !
Love you're shubunkin's  o(:-)
Thank you for shareing !

bonnie

Offline txpondnut

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:11:24 AM »
Thanks Reedman and Bonnie. I am amazed how these fish change colors. Here is what they looked like when we got them in the spring of 07. The midnight blue is the one at the top. We named him patch because of the black on his one eye. Now his eye is no longer black and he lost the little bit of red that he had. I wonder what color they will be next year???
Michelle

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
Love those shubbies, I need to get some more....lost 3 to the heron and one was the only female, and at the time full of eggs, sure wish she would have left some mystery packages before being wisked away.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »
Pretty fish...I wish mine were all male  :-\ :-\ :-\

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"