Author Topic: Lillies  (Read 1695 times)

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lillies
« on: October 18, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
OK.
So it is me again asking for some help.....
as you know the sun moves from angles thru different stations as well as winter, spring etc....
well now my lillies that used to get full sun aren't getting it and they have slowed down and I think it might be because the temperatures are dropping, and because winter is nearer than we think.
But for a zone 9 or 10, I seriously don't know which one belongs to me, but do you think I need to move them to a place with more sun? or what should I do? well I will be expecting some of your wise comments....
thanks btw
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Re: Lillies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
I can't help with the lilies but I think you are a zone 9a or 9b, look on the map here to figure it out.   You can click on south Texas and it zooms in and shows some of northern Mexico as well, at least from Monterrey to the border.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »
thanks Jonna............
it kinda shows that I am between both 9a and 9b..... we never get bad weather-I mean like frezzes or so-and I am leaving the lillies in the pond....
But I am still moving the lillies to a sunny area or at least the one that gets more sunnier now....

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »
Howell, do you have any pictures of your pond?

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:36:17 PM »
Howell, do you have any pictures of your pond?

Yes , pictures ...plz !

bonnie

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »
Sorry it took me so long, but I am back and have the pics sorry my pond is so ugly and small, but I still love  o(:-) having it...

They are now in a shallower area where the sun is hitting kinda filtered, but that is all I have wish we didn't have that lemon tree there-so the sun will be hitting completely, and well if I move them left they will be 1' deep but they are now in a 12"depth...

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:32 AM »
Howell, I have a problem with my pond to becasue the marginals have grown so thick and tall they are shading the pond enough to slow down the lily blossoms this year. I guess I'll have to tear them out next spring. I mean the marginals.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 06:53:21 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. At this time of year, half my pond is in shade from a hedge for half the day, and the lilies on that side are not as big as the ones on the sunnier side.

All of them are slowing down as the temperature cools of course, but it seems, the more sun the better.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05:51 AM »
I'm in Zone 9, and my whole yard gets pretty much shade plus it's getting cool (50*-60*) in the evenings, yet my lilies still look fine - blooming, even.

I think some of it has to do with fertilizing.  I got my lilies from someone who had been fertilizing a lot, and I tried to keep up with that (every 3-4 weeks), so possibly that's why they're still wanting to put out pads and flowers.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 12:50:41 PM »
Nice pond Howell!

The only place I could dig my lily pond was in front of a row of twisted juniper trees (which I love) but that also meant reduced sun during the day.  I only get afternoon sun and with the sun lower for the Fall my lilies are ready to call it a season.  A few buds tried to make it to the surface this week but are small and weak.  Next year..... O0

Btw, my lilies are about 36" deep in the water from the top of their pots.  Depth is fine since they entered the new pond in July.  Blooming and padding just fine. 

Offline enzo

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Members
  • Entrepreneur, marketer, and more...
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lorenzo Orlando Caum
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:10:04 PM »
Good job on relocating them. The more sun the better especially when the water temperatures are cooler.
--
Lorenzo
Buy tropical water lilies — Utopia Aquatic
An Enzo12 LLC venture

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 10:02:34 PM »
Thanks to all of you, it is so nice to get some good answers from people who based their knowledge on experience.....
Thanks again, I am following all of your tips to grow lillies as good as you all are...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"