Author Topic: any hikers out there?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
any hikers out there?
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
In addition to ponding, are there any hikers out there?  I am wondering what the hiking trails are like specifically in Eastern Tennessee and SW Virginia area.  I tried the Pennsylvania hiking trails in the Appalachian Trail area and found them ladden with large rocks along the trail that like to trip you and wreck havoc with my ankles.  I would much rather hike a trail that doesn't require me to constantly stare at my feet when I'd rather be looking at the scenery.  I am hoping that not all of the Appalachian Trail is like this and that its only limited to Pennsylvania which is apparently known to have rocks everywhere. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: any hikers out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
I enjoy hiking but I do it here on the west coast.  REI is a good source for hiking maps that rate trails.  In addition, I have found a lot of good local hiking information on the Internet.  It's always good though to watch where you are walking since rattlers sometimes will be coiled up on a hiking trails where they like to soak up the sun to get warm.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »
If you like smooth trails with no rattlesnakes, Illinois is a wonderful place to hike. We have bogs, fantastic forest preserves, state parks, long bike trails, etc. Just don't come now... (snow today!).
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 07:15:55 AM »
Mikey-REI?  Do they have a website?

Reason why I am looking into this particular area is because we couldn't decide which mountain range to be close to.  We love to hike the mountains and we are getting very tired of the horribly hot summers down here in Florida.  The only saving grace being that I can grow some subtropical plants and now tropical lilies down here.  Thought the area in Pennsylvania would be nice where we have a friend living there near Pocono Mtns, but the constant amount of rocks that jutt out on the path really takes the fun out of it.  Couldn't see hiking that often.

Figure if we enjoy hiking in a particular area, then we will like living there better too. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »
I see what you mean.  Those rocks would tend to trip you up if you were not paying attention....
http://www.rei.com/map/store

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 12:20:45 PM »
Ohio is a great place to hike, backpack and bike, with a bike trail stretching from Cincinnati clear up to Urbana--with WONDERFUL stops along the way, (one of my favorites--Yellow Springs--a GREAT little town that's a throwback to the 60's and 70's with great pottery shops, jewelry, incense and clothing shops and great eateries!  Southern Ohio is more hilly, mid ohio is flat so there is something for all hikers.  Some trails are even handicapped accessible.  Old Man's Cave is fun and scenic as well, this is just a day trip through rocky caves and streams.  Just google hiking trails in Ohio and see what you come up with.  ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"