Author Topic: Marla NEW DUPLEX PIX  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Marla NEW DUPLEX PIX
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »
asked me what we did besides paint at our rental for the last 5 weeks.

Here's a list::: :D Cleaned stove oven, broiler, burners, refrigerator, inside, outside, sink, faucet, inside kitchen cupboards and drawers, fixed rollers on drawers, removed all handles and soaked and scrubbed them, scraped old excess caulk from tile and counter, bombed for fleas, got flea treatment for Smokey and Mittens,  :o removed gobs of junk from under refrigerator and stove, cleaned bathroom cupboards, vanity, mirror, sink, faucet, surround, tub, toilet, and drawers, light fixture, recaulked at tub by floor, where tub meets surround, where sink top meets tile and wall, polished the tub and surround, scrubbed ceramic tile floors in kitchen and bathroom, resealed grout in both rooms, removed all registers and vacuumed openings (had Stanley Steemer professionally clean ducts), bought new registers, installed them, washed both sides of 5 windows, bought 5 sets of horizontal blinds, installed them and shortened them, sprinkled flea powder on bare subfloors  ::) after carpet was removed from living room and two bedrooms, took down 6' verticle patio door blinds and scrubbed both sides of each slat and then put them back up, cleaned out the bottom of the patio door slider frame, used a Dremel cutting wheel to grind down spots where the door wasn't clearing well, sprayed with WD40, works better now,  O0 installed replacement screen and handle with a latch on the screen door, scrubbed both sides of patio door, removed old weather stripping on front door frame, installed new weather stripping on front door frame, caulked outside door frame, painted front door outside, put new weather stripping on kitchen door to garage, bombed garage, livingroom, two bedrooms and family room down for fleas,  :-\ caulked family room paneling to close up cracks and nailholes, removed and discarded and installed switch and plug plates throughout (they were cracked or painted - son removed all switches and wall plugs and replaced them with new as old ones were brown or painted), helped son run cable and phone wire and install boxes for cable and phone jacks where there weren't any, removed obscene words, crayon and pen marks from various rooms, sprayed carpet in family room for fleas, removed bags of rotting trash, clothes, both good and bad, furniture, coins, perfectly good room size air cleaner, antique radio/record player, several old copy and fax machines and computer parts, 2 broken tvs, Halloween decorations, Christmas decorations, old books and magazines, unopened mail, bombed garage for fleas,  >:(- (we filled a huge dumpster with carpet and their trash) THEN I drizzled hot soapy water all over the floor and let it sit and soak, then I power washed the whole garage floor and pushed all the crud and hatched fly casings  >:( down the driveway to the gutter, picked up bits of toys and candy wrappers from landscaping and lawn, pulled weeds from landscaping, raked it, planted a bush, trimmed overgrown Burning Bushes, installed new mulch, cut weeds from cracks in sidewalk and two lane driveway, swept it all, cleaned odd papers and candy wrappers   {nono} from under a huge pine tree, cleaned drier vent outside house, cleaned lint from drier vent inside house and cleaned drier, scrubbed laundry tub and washer to find out washer didn't work so had to buy a new one, made and hung 4 curtains for basement windows, caulked around basement windows,  cleaned dehumidifier and put duct tape on cracks in furnace ducts, installed new furnace filter, vacuumed spider webs from the rafters and around windows in basement, mopped floors in laundry room and spare room in basement, scrubbed stains on carpet in family room with various things including Spray and Wash, (did I mention there are three faint marks made by a steam iron there) (oh and did I mention that DH picked up dog feces first) then rescrubbed with the Hoover, gave up and hired Stanley Steemer to do it, (they did a great job and besides got the rest of the flea pupa and eggs with the high heat water) replaced at least a dozen burned out light bulbs, installed a new door knob where one was missing, layed 4' x 4' entry area with 12" ceramic tiles, grouted it and sealed it, helped DH load trailer with our tools, our trash, excess carpet pad, carpet scraps, cleaning supplies, bits of construction stuff, paint buckets and supplies, food, an entertainment center and an antique headboard and footboard to a bed, shovels, rakes, brooms, covered it over with a tarp, hooked it to the truck, swept the garage floor, CLOSED THE DOOR and WENT HOME!!! This doesn't include any of what DH did or the work we hired my son and stepson to do. Even our daughter in law helped paint.

Now aren't you sorry you asked. Think I'll go to bed and sleep for a week.

Here's some pix.  http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/estherwaayenberg/712%2056th%20St/?albumview=slideshow
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:58:52 PM by Esther »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Marla
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »
OMG..........I'm tired just reading it, maybe I'l have to re-read it before I go to bed because I've been having a problem falling asleep lately.  Was this a new place or was this how the last tenents left it?  And I thought spending 3 days cleaning rust off the tub and toilets at my MIL's before selling was a pain in the a**, You deserve a medal, a raise and a good vacation O0
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Marla
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
This was one unit of a duplex. The tenants had lived there about 2 1/2 years. It was a lady (I'm being nice), two daughters about 6 & 8. She had a boyfriend living there for maybe 8 months but then they split up. When he moved out, she didn't have money to pay bills so stopped trash pickup and the gas was turned off. The tub wasn't very dirty. LOL. He continued to pay rent and electric. But a lot of what we did was just little things to upgrade it, like the caulk in the paneling, paint,  etc. When we work on it, our thinking is to keep it in as good of condition as possible because we may be living there some day and of course to keep up the resale value. 99% of what we did was cosmetic anyway. But we aim to keep the expenses down too.

The new tenant has been a financial advisor and still has some clients so asked to have that room in the basement that wasn't very nice, finished off a bit for his office. There weren't any wall plugs, phone or cable jacks in there. We paneled up two walls and put in the jacks and plugs. Then the two cement block foundation walls, we put half studs and ran the wiring through that. Then it only took half sheets of paneling too. We were doing it the cheap way.  We laid a 2 x 6 on the top of that wall and painted it and then put some trim pieces at the wall and under the 2 x 6. I had painted the cement blocks above this half wall first. We didn't put in a ceiling at all though. The floor had been painted to look like tile somewhere along the line. We didn't want to spend much so were going to leave it that way. It turned out that there was a piece of carpet about 11 X 12' left over and the room is 13 x 14' so I slapped that piece in there in the middle. It'll have to do.

It may seem odd but DH and I enjoy doing the work. He has had such short hours at work so was able to get the duplex done during the day instead of after work and Saturdays. We work well together and both are on the same page about what we want to accomplish and how to do it so that is good. We spent several 11 hour days over there. You might be surprised to see this 66 year old lady doing some of the stuff I did. It makes me feel good to know I can accomplish what I do. And we were proud when we got done to see how nice it turned out. It also felt good to take the security deposit and first month's rent to the bank. LOL.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Marla NEW DUPLEX PIX
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:41:47 PM »
Oh, that is a nice looking duplex and a very nice size yard.  My husband and I are big DIY's also, seems as if the compliments always seem better if you did it yourself.  Hopefuly the next tenent will not leave you with as much of a mess.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
Wow, Esther, what a great looking place!  It's so large and roomey--and I envy anybody with a basement like that.  My old farmhouse just has a rootcellar where my freezer is, water conditioner, hot water heater and of course hubby's reloading equipment for his guns!! 
You've done a great job in sprucing it up, that place would not be empty long around here for sure! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 05:40:04 PM »
Whew! I am so exhausted after just reading what you did!  :o
I agree, GREAT job!  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"