Author Topic: Tropicals in the g'house  (Read 1678 times)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tropicals in the g'house
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
Did I mention how much I love my g'house ......  ::)

I'm overwintering a few tropical w.lilies for a few friend's , keeping mine in ther too ofcourse... ;D

The frist tropical belong's to Bonnie (from IN) . I don't know what's it's called because I couldn't reach the pot it's in....too far for me to reach without getting in the water.
The second one is an unknown yellow ....mine... ;D
There's several bud comming up on the other tropicals too... @O@

Can you beleive that I trimmed all the pads back last month !  :o and that's just 1/2 of the pond .

Mosiac (sp?) , from tinkster ....I sure hope it live's this winter ....I keep a heater in the pond to keep it at 67-70* all winter .

bonnie

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tropicals in the g'house
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
a few more picture's I took the other day...

bonnie

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:35:13 PM »
Very nice .... You must love walking into your g'house to enjoy all of the plants & extented growing season.  That first one looks like Star of Siam & the yellow looks like mexicana.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
Very nice .... You must love walking into your g'house to enjoy all of the plants & extented growing season.  That first one looks like Star of Siam & the yellow looks like mexicana.

Love it ,Love it ,Love it........ o(:-)...... ;D....
I thougt the yellow lily did look something like mexicana but it has a tuber & not a Rhizome  .

bonnie

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »
I am so jealous.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
Yep I soooo love my GH too....I went and picked up Squeak's(Gander) tropical lilies and some house plants to winter over in the my gh today....a couple of them were still in bloom I was really surprised to see that....so even though I got rid of ALL my trops this year---I'll still get to enjoy his this winter.....Bonnie on the Mosiac--good luck---I had no problem over wintering it the first time with a grow light on it pretty much 24/7...but, then the last 2 times I tried to over winter it---it failed miserably so I just never got anymore....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »
Bunny and Lawana, you're lucky to have your greenhouses, so you can enjoy ponding and bloom all year long!

Well, now I know what happened to my mosaic plant.  I was so proud of it, but as the days grew shorter and cooler, it disappeared.  I'm in Houston, Zone 9... I wonder if it will come back.  I really like it.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 07:40:33 PM »
Yes, how lucky you are.  Do you heat yours and how?   How nice to be able to still see blooms, and such beauties they are.  I tried to talk DH into one when he got the "Man Shed", but all I got in that truce was 2 new outlets for the lily pond so I guess I have to work on him somemore.  However he said he would rather build a lotus pond then lug the big pots to the basement another year.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »
I bought a titanium heater last year & put in the pond , it keep's the temp. between 67-60* .

Thx Lawanna for the advice on the Mosiac plant . I hope the heater can keep it warm enough so it'll keep growing.

bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 05:50:53 AM »
Bonnie I really believe in a heated pond you have a way better chance---even my gh drops to about 50 during the night...I think it was just too cool for it....them are some really picky little plants....if they are happy they go nuts----if not they just wither right before your eyes...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
I was unsuccessful the last two years keeping tropical waterlilies in my greenhouse pond. I heated the greenhouse but not the water. I've now installed a fully submersible aquarium heater and the water is 70* and they are all growing.

Now, I need a light. They are so expensive though. It is too cloudy through our long rainy season to go without one.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"