Author Topic: My fish woke up  (Read 1793 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My fish woke up
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
  Well we've had several days in the 80*s around here. Very unusual!
   With the cooler weather, the fish kind of disappear for most of the winter and I don't worry about feeding them til spring weather starts warming up.
  I don't know if I should feed them now that they are "awake" and active
. I'm sure the weather will cool back down soon and they will go back to their coma-like state.
  Should I give them a bit to eat, or just let them eat all the lovely gunk on the bottom of the pond?
  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My fish woke up
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:00:40 PM »
The weather is wacky....some days are hot, evenings cold, and other are cool.  Still feeding the puppies though.  Will change over to the winter food soon.  Have to feed the little beggars 'cause they are a delight to visit.  ::)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
I stopped feeding mine quite some time ago.  If the temps are not going to stay up and the water temps are not staying a constant (day and night) above 50* I would not start feeding again, I know it's tempting but they can find algae to nibble on and with the slower body metabilism now that will hold them.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 10:54:33 AM »
I think they should be fed if the water temps are up during your warming spike. If they were in the wild and the pond rose such and such degrees they would resume eating as normal. When the water temp went back down they would not then die because they ate 3 days before. I fed mine when we experienced the same warming trend here in southern indiana. They seem fine to me. Our temps have fallen as well as my water temp so I again have refrained from feeding as they have migrated back to the depths of the pond. (No expert just thoughts. )

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:57:49 PM »
i stopped feeding mine about a week and a half ago,the temp is mid during the day but real cold at night. like tonight its gonna be 30.they are moving slow,and no open mouths at the surface even though u see them.i turned pumps off also and they are fine,the water is muggy but i want it that way so noone can really see them,i keep it clear in spring and summer,net has been over the pond for leaves since i have about 12 oaks around,so i will just leave them alone and even though the temps go up and down i am more incline not to feed cause i'm afraid  they're little systems might freak..(just my 2 cents worth)  ::)   lorraine
lorraine

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »
I would say water temp not air temp is what resticts feeding but this is my first try at actual winter ponding.

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »
   Well, the temps have plummeted to the 30s in the morning and the fish have retreated to their milk crate in the middle of the pond, so I guess I don't have to worry til spring.
  I did put a little food in while it was warm one day, but figured they had plenty of gunk to feed on if needed.
  Jees! No pond, no gardening, now what!!!!!????????
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"