Author Topic: 'Taint very purdy, buuut.....  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
'Taint very purdy, buuut.....
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »
she works real goooood!  I built this one out of PVC pipe.  It's seventeen feet wide, twenty seven feet long, and nine feet at the highest point.  Heat and vents are fully automated.  Had to build it on the cheap so I could afford he 100,000 BTU Modine heater, vent fan, and thermostats.  We have a few nights between 0 and 10 degrees F and several days a year, sometimes a couple of weeks without making it above 20 degrees F.  The winds here are an outrage, but then it is tornado alley.  It took a bit of time and effort to build it, but we are about to embark on our fourth winter voyage in it.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 'Taint very purdy, buuut.....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:29:40 PM »
Cool.  Is that 2" pvc for the roof and down the sides?  I'm surprised that the plastic covering doesn't shred during high winds or that the wind doesn't get under it.  Do you replace the plastic every year?  Great job!
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:23:48 PM »
Thanks Mikey.  The risers on the sides are 2 inch with a 2 inch 45 degree el at the top, then a reducer bushing to 1 1/2 inch for the 20 foot arc across the top. The 2 inch sides are slipped over 1 1/2 inch steel pipe anchored in the ground with concrete.  The treated 2x12 bolted to the base is partly below ground and the exposed remainder is used as a nail board to stretch and anchor the plastic.  The 2 inch uprights are anchored to the steel pipe with pop rivets to keep the frame from floating if it catches any wind with the door open.  The plastic is a 4 mil greenhouse plastic by AT plastics (hats off to the Canadians) is realy tough stuff  I've used it now for 8 or 9 years now.......good light penetration and durable.   There is only a year warranty on it, so yes I replace it evey year but in the absence of a swamp cooler I'll cook my plants in the spring if I don't cut more vent holes.  So the 5 year plastic is waiting for evaporative cooling....heh heh.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 10:27:06 PM »
look very good !  I am amazed it holds up so well.  Great job! O0 O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »
Doesn't have to be purdy if it does the job. . . . but it's not as bad as some I've seen.  Sure wish I had a greenhouse . . . or a place to put one.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 11:20:43 AM »
Nicely constructed!  If I had a greenhouse that large I wouldn't have any yard left.. :D  Are those raised koi pens/ponds on the lower right?

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 05:29:17 AM »
I was wondering the same thing Mikey
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »
I'd say that it is a GREAT looking green house. And it is lasting too. O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 10:50:07 PM »
I've been mulling over building one along those lines for the last few years. Do you have the plans and materials list that you used available? About how much did it cost to construct? One of the biggest costs when I started designing one was the poly covering. About how much does it cost each year to re-cover the structure? I've actually gone to Home Depot at least twice with thoughts of doing this but decided against it at the last minute. Where did you get your vents? Any and all info on the construction would be greatly apprecciated.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline LouAnn

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:27:53 PM »
I like it. Good job:)
Friends are the family I would choose.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"