Author Topic: Anybody know if Unemployment  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Anybody know if Unemployment
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »
payments will continue if a person begins to receive Social Security?

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody know if Unemployment
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
No idea.

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
You'll have to check your own state's eligibility requirements...I believe that a number of states do reduce or offset unemployment compensation by the amount of social security benefits received by the applicant.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »
I feel you should not be able to do this. If you did the checks should not be over the possible 1200 a year allowed with a regular job. Unemployment checks and social security just don't seem to be a good mix in my eyes. You are only able to make a small amount and receive social security as it is. It is easy enough to get a job that makes the max 1200.00 a year and receive the benefit. no need to not work and receive it too. Can you say paper or plastic?
 No offense but every 1200 hundred counts. multiply that by 10's of thousands.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
I know that in Florida, I can make $45.00 without it hurting my unemployment. I think it will stop once you get on a supplemental income such as Social Security or SSI.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:56:35 PM »
The AARP website said this:

Unemployment insurance benefits are payments made to eligible employees who become unemployed through no fault of their own.

There is an Unemployment Insurance Program in each state. Under federal guidelines, each state sets its own rules. State rules cover eligibility for benefits, benefit amounts, and the length of time workers can receive benefits.

Employees can usually receive benefits for up to 26 weeks. This depends on how long you worked before you lost your job. During times of high unemployment or in special situations, states can provide extended benefits.

The amount of your unemployment payment depends on how much you earned in your last job. Each state also sets a maximum benefit amount. Most employees get less than half of their previous weekly earnings.

Some workers who already collect Social Security retirement benefits may not get their full unemployment benefits. If their employer lays them off and they apply for unemployment insurance, 19 states will reduce their unemployment benefits by the amount of their retirement benefits. Many workers and employers are not aware of this offset.

Unemployment insurance is taxable income. Most states do not automatically withhold taxes from unemployment benefit checks. You can request that your state withhold federal taxes.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 06:36:31 AM »
In 2009, a person just beginning to receive Social Security can earn up to $14,000 a year without affecting their   benefit. So my thinking was that if they could earn that amount then maybe the unemployment wouldn't be affected until the $14,000 was reached. I have searched the internet a bit and also Michigan's Unemployment site but didn't find it. We have to go to one of their offices anyway Monday with other questions so that will be one of them.

DH has never drawn unemployment until this last winter and now he's layed off again. Social Security will kick in for the first time in March. What a relief!! His SS will be just a little less that what he earned this year. And unemployment is a little less than SS. But both better than nothing of course.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"