Author Topic: Will koi eat tadpoles?  (Read 2231 times)

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Will koi eat tadpoles?
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
Hi! I am new to the site. Seems to be hard to find a good pond forum that is active and well informed. I purchased a few tadpoles about 2 weeks ago and they have vanished. They were California Tree Frogs and should have been fine. I gave my 60 gal pond a good scrubbing this weekend (had a lot of sediment and dead leaves at the bottom) and took the opportunity to check every body out. The fish (I have some comet goldfish one large one) all have gotten over their bout with ich, my favorite buddy Monarch (my platinum butterfly koi 3 inches) is doing well and my 3 mosquito fish are also doing remarkable! my tadpoles on the other hand... have vanished. I floated them for about an hour and I released them. I never saw them again. They were pretty small so I'm thinking they were gobbled up. Any other ideas? I did treat maybe once or twice after I got them with the ich medication (just to be sure). I just don't get why there are no bodies unless they were dinner for the hungry larger fish. 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Will koi eat tadpoles?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
Koi will eat frog taddies, but not toad taddies.
Sounds like candy to me...

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
Good to know! I get paid today and was just itching to go to my fav pond shop and buy more poor babys. Any suggestions on what kind of toad tadpoles I should look into for california? I would prefer one that would stick around the yard not just hopity hop away.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
I'm sure all your fish ate 'em like popcorn....I don't know how to make toads and frogs stick around.  They either do or they don't.  I know that sounds too simple but toads are born in the water and move to land and frogs are born in the water and stay there, unless they migrate.  And they do come and go.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:31:29 AM »
Like they say "If you build it ,they will come" Our pond was put in last August and by the end of September we had 2 frogs living there. They just appeared. @O@ Toads have become more numerous in our yard since then also. (8:-)  Now we are hoping to see tadpoles this spring. I wish you luck with getting the amphibians to move into your pond. We have koi and if they eat the tadpoles then "oh well" they can make more
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
The tadpoles were more so for my hubby. He loves frogs and hearing them chirping away at night would be wounderful. We planted lots of plants for them to hide in, got rocks for them to find cracks in and hide in (read the california tree frogs prefer that) and never saw them again. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a floating basket or raise them in a tank then release them in the pond after they get legs? Or will the koi eat them then too?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"