Author Topic: Strange weather  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Strange weather
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »
Today we tied a record high of 63 (since 1929).  Tomorrow we are supposed to get 3" of snow.

My poor goldfish are very confused . . . :o :doh: :no:
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Strange weather
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Yesterday the high here was 75 today it never got past 20  :-\.......the greenhouse fire is up full blast and only keeping it in the high 40s and low 50s  :-\....but, the cats are sure enjoying it in there---I walked in and two of them were all stretched out infront of the stove  ;)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
I feel your pain.

In Houston yesterday it was 75*.  This morning it was 66*.  Right now, it's 44*.

Yesterday I started delivering by bicycle Christmas cards to neighbors (about 100).  Then it started raining, so I had to quit.  So now that it's cold an icky but dry, I have to get back on that bike tomorrow and finish up.   

Yuck.  I hate being cold.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »
Tell me about it! We went to a farm yesterday to cut down our Christmas tree. It was in the 50's, and the mud was everywhere. The kids were sloshing around like crazy.

This morning we woke to 5* temps, and all the rain last night turned into a layer of ice everywhere. Couldn't even get into the car.

Now they're calling for 5" of snow... on top of a beautiful layer of ice.  :)

My little stream is still running, but I'll bet my fish have turned into Fish-Sickles.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »
We got up into the 60s today too, but had gale force winds, sustained winds between 20-35 mph.  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
It was almost 60 here yesterday, and 53 this morning down to freezing this afternoon.  Now we have freezing rain.  Suppose to be nasty on the monring commute, and in the afternoon.  Although it says light snow on my avator, that's in correct, its ice and sleet.  It crunches when you try to walk on it.  I slid my way to the greenhouse to turn up the heater.

My kids will probably stay home even if they have school tomorrow.  They hardly call school off here with snow, normally just delay it.  That don't work for me, cause there won't be anyone home to get them off to school.  So, I will prob just let them sleep in.

Kim
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 06:30:48 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
Here in southcentral PA DEC-FEB usually stays 20-40 degrees - temps don't usually fluctuate like they do in the mid-south.  Once it gets cold, it stays cold.  Nice for the fish in the ponds.

We don't get too much snow, maybe 1-3' total each winter. 
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"