Author Topic: Yuppie Survivalists? :)  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Roark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
Yuppie Survivalists? :)
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:56 AM »
Last weekend my neighbors and I were putting-up the Christmas Arches (I'll post a picture later. Hard to explain, but sorta pretty at night!).  As we worked we got to talking about the aftermath of Hurricane Ike, including a very frank bit about what we did right and wrong.  It was a good adhoc evaluation and I was taking copious mental notes.  During that discussion it came out that ALL of my neighbors are now stock-piled with very substantial amounts of food, water, consumables, and basic infrastructure-replacement gear.  With a giggle, we all had to admit that we had unintentionally become "Yuppie Survivalists".  Remarkably, none of my neighbors have less than a 30 day supply of the goods needed for basic, in-place, off-the-grid living.  (I'm an exteme case. hehehe).

Is this degree of preparedness a local anomaly (ie, post-Ike), or has the rest of the world been quietly storing-away a little extra for a "rainy day"? 

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Yuppie Survivalists? :)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:43 AM »
Oh, I could probably live for a year on what I have stashed in my pantry!  What I learned during Ike, though, is that I don't particularly WANT to.  I mean, I have canned goods and boxed stuff, and in a true crisis situation, yes, you can eat a cold can of beets, and maybe some uncooked pasta, and live that way for months.  But sitting in the dark in the days and weeks after the storm, I didn't feel like "surviving."  I COULD have, but I didn't WANT to.  I wanted fresh fruit and vegetables, and I wanted better light than what came from the paltry camp lantern I had.

But, you're right - Ike (and Katrina and Rita) was a great learning lesson, and I hope that many people are prepared to be more self-reliant, in case of another disaster.  In fact, I would say that people in Houston were much better prepared to take care of themselves than people in New Orleans, partly because we had learned from what happened there three years ago. 

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:50:24 AM »
That was a resounding point made by my neighbors, Julles: There is survival... and there is comfort.  We never had any real survival issues (knock on wood), but the comfort issues were significant. 

Old habits die hard: Two weeks after the storm, I was still flipping lightswitches on when I walked into a room in the middle of the night. The generator wasn't running, so those blasted switches didn't work! :)  But the ultimate worst feeling was to walk into my little server room, and hear *silence*. (That's the scariest noise of all to a computer nerd!).

Roark

You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:51:38 AM »
Being married to a career Marine (who I suspect was a Mormon in his previous life) we ALWAYS have enough to live on for 40 days and 40 nights, AT LEAST.  ::)
The man is a complete nutcase about buying stuff in bulk. When Sams Club and Costco stores popped up on LI, he was in heaven. :woot:

He even like our house because it was the 2nd highest point in our town, way above the 'Storm X' floodline. ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »
We had a power outage recently and I was surprised at how much I was dependent upon electricity.  I fixed something to eat which involved peeling potatoes.  I shoved the peelings into the garbage disposal, turned on the water, flipped the switch and watched the sink start to fill up with water.... lol  Smart move Michael, I thought....  So I reached down into the bowels of the garbage disposal and retrieved the potato peelings and tossed them into the garden where they belonged....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »
Generators were in short supply during the post-Ike camping, but everyone shared. When someone no longer needed a genny, it got passed around to someone who did.

Genny is an expensive investment - about the cost of a new air conditioner. But in this part of the world - prone to hurricanes - its literally a life saver for some. Our friend, Bernice, is on oxygen because her lungs are failing her. She ran out of bottles and the medical supply store wouldn't or couldn't deliver. So she needed the air compressor, and that needed electricity. We loaned her one.

I would expect that a genny would be a great investment anywhere that earthquakes are common, too.  {:-P;;

There are still a lot of loans that "haven't made it home yet". I need to devote a weekend to giving things back and picking things up.  @O@

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
Is this degree of preparedness a local anomaly (ie, post-Ike), or has the rest of the world been quietly storing-away a little extra for a "rainy day"? 

Around and about Houston folks have seen how fragile infrastructure is and how awkward it is living without the basics.  So maybe some folks are planning a little more than they did in the past.  For me personally, I worry about the overall state of the nation.  The economy and political system are making me very nervous and I'm worried we may be in for more than just a "rainy day".
Jim

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »
I could live without power but I wouldn't get much woodworking done without it. Now my computer is a different story. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »
Hey Sonny - yeah, the same stuff that prepares for a hurricane also prepares for some other severities.

Here, in Danbury, we are at the end of the power grid. So you can EXPECT the power to go out for an hour or so EVERY TIME IT RAINS. That makes a genny much more practical, because we use it once a month. :(

The larder is, as Julles said, pretty boring eating - but when you have a week to go until the next paycheck, think of it as a diet plan....  :D

Pondman - woodworking, and just about any really powerful tool, is going to require more power than the usual household stuff. If its on a 220, instead of a 110 (household) outlet - you need to do a power inventory before you size a genny.

I CAN run my house on a 4500watt genny - but it requires compromise. You can't run the oven and the washing machine at the same time, stuff like that - and no a/c at all. When we ran the well, we had to shut everything else down - then let it fill the pressure tank, and turn it off until the pressure got way down again.
I borrowed a 7000 watt genny during post-Ike, but still didn't run the a/c. Luckily, we didn't need to. Who ever heard of a cold front following a hurricane like that? It was remarkable weather.

A good stack of wood is another "survivalist" tool. We like BBQ anyway... and if the a/c isn't able to be used, you want to keep the heat out of the kitchen.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 09:07:38 AM »
Maybe because of this post, I got the wild hair to clean out my kitchen pantry. 

I tossed cans dated Apr/02 - canned tomatoes were bulging and ready to blow up! 

I hate to admit it, but I have food in there that I have brought from the old place when I moved here in '89.     :(

Yes, I grew up in one of those households were you were forced to "Take what you eat and eat what you take" whether you liked it or not, and you couldn't leave the table until you had finished EVERYTHING, even if you were full and even if that meant sitting there until midnight. 

I no longer force myself to eat like that, but I canNOT throw food away.  Crazy, but it's ingrained.  My friends laugh at me, they try to encourage me, but I simply canNOT throw food away. 

Unhealthy legacy which I blame entirely on my parents.    ;)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »
I tossed cans dated Apr/02 -
Our friend's completely remodeled their kitchen and they found a bottle of Karo corn syrup dated 1988....  lol 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
People here are doing it. I know of at least a handful of people that have stuff stockpiled. Personally I don't because I'm doing well if I can afford to buy what we need for the present. ::)
When we lived up in the mountains years back we did keep more food and supplies on hand simply because you didn't know what might happen and there was always the possibility of being stranded for a few days due to snow. People who lived in that area knew they had to stock pile just in case.
I work with a woman that has always been a bit of a survivalist. She and her husband own some property south of town and they have an actual underground bunker built there. Its stocked with food, water, guns, etc. I believe she told me one time there was enough supplies stored in it to get them through 90 days.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 09:38:28 PM »
Hey Julles - get a chicken.
They eat EVERYTHING.  @O@

I grew up the same way. But with dogs, cats AND CHICKENS, absolutely nothing goes to waste. :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"