Author Topic: Waiting to hear  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Waiting to hear
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:54:34 AM »
The doctor put a drainage tube in Braeden's kidney yesterday leading to an exterior bag. It is working fine. The blood pressure is down where it needs to be. He had an MRI to find out what is going on inside and that meant putting dye in him. So instead of letting the kidney sort the dye out, they did a session of dialysis rather than overworking the kidney. They will find out the results of the MRI today but she said she wasn't very hopeful.

When we were on the phone about 10 last night, little guy was throwing up. Something about the blood circulation isn't working right and when he eats, the stomach can't digest the food so it throws it up. I could hear him talking and he sounded like a tired sick kid. HE was worrying about the port tube coming out. Imagine a 3 1/2 year old!!

We are going down in a few minutes as we have to be back home by 1 to meet the delivery truck. Stupid washer quit at one of the duplexes and the repairman said it wasn't worth paying for a service call. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

At least we got down to the unemployment office and found out why Pete didn't get his first check. Got that straightened out. In one place they have him as Pete and another as Peter------nere the twain shall meet. Stupid. You'd think that they'd go by his social security number. So now we will get two. RAH. Gotta pay for the washer and a new window at another duplex.

We just spent about 2 hours in Braeden's room. He has the chest port, a dialysis tube out his side and the kidney drainage out his back. When we got there his cheeks were quite red and redness around his eyes. He greeted us happily though. Dawn and Kevin said that the doctor had just been there with the results of the MRI. Not good. The tumor is already fist sized. I don't know whose fist but still-----  They might try chemo or radiation to shrink it or surgery. Evidently he can still have the MIBG even with the drainage tube but said that the tumor would have to be downsized, one way or another before the MIBG would be considered.

HE played catch with Grandpa and tried several times to make a basket but the basket was hanging from the top of the bathroom door and he just couldn't get the little ball up from the bed that high.

HE then began complaining of stomach pain so they tried to get him to take a Tylenol. He fought it like it was poison. Finally Kevin forced it between his teeth and then he accepted it and sucked on it. After a while he relaxed and was cheerful when he was visited by a little girl who had come to the hospital for "clinic", whatever that is. I think they go in to have their "counts" checked from time to time and that's why she was there. She must have some awful illness too.

He perked up and was talking about how he wants to be Super Bub and have super powers. He likes to watch Spider man videos. Ironic isn't it that even he knows to wish he had powers that he doesn't.

We stayed in his room while Dawn and Kevin went down for lunch. Owen was there and I put him to sleep.

That's all for now folks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:48:27 AM by Esther »

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting to hear
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:30:01 PM »
And somehow Braeden still has the energy to play with all of this going on for him.  Such a strong little fellow.  I am hoping it doesn't get any harder for him than this.  Does it give all the worried adults in his life some strength as they watch him carry on just like any little boy in spite of all he contends with?

Continuing to wish the best for all of your family.   :hug:
emm

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
Me too Esther. What a fighter. He's an inspiration to all kids with cancer.  :clap:
And a extra hug for you for your 'battle' front. :hug:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »
Esther, it's so heartbreaking to hear of all the setbacks for little Braeden.

Hugs to your family :hug:

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:46:14 PM »
Joyce He is not an inspiration just to all the kids that've got cancer, but an inspiration to all the people out there in the world.
A true heroe............ O0
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
What a great kid!
So are they going to make him radioactive or not?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »
At this point, the tumor is too large (went from pinky fingernail size to fist size in about 8 weeks) to expect the radioactive treatment to work well. It is "iffy" in the first place, 30% success rate. Evidently the tumor is too entangled on important stuff to be able to surgically downsize it so they may try chemo again. Then maybe, maybe, the radioactive stuff. So sick of hearing maybe and if.

They put a "nose hose" down again and bypassed his stomach to try to get some good nourishment into him as he was vomiting up most everything that went down. Today wasn't as good as yesterday.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
 This young fella is going to come through this. I love Breadon, he is one of my family now. I am sending prayers and good will towards you Esther and family. I have not met you, I do know that we are intertwined somewhere and my heart feeling is Breadon will come through. We love all your family and are there for you in the desire for a full recovery. Breadon love is yours forever. I wish you the best big fellla.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »
Children are natural optimists, it makes me happy to hear that he's still playing despite the ordeal he's been through.  I hope his energy continues to carry him through this latest treatment, and I continue to pray they will find the right treatment.  And hopefully they can get this vomiting under control quickly. :hug:

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »
Big HUGS and Prayers for you and your family Esther.  I'm brought to tears by Baedens fight against this and yes very much by his eagerness to stay normal.  I wish him the very best over the next phase whatever it might be. :hug:
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »
They're trying another 5 rounds of chemo this week. Then they'll do an MRI to see if it is any smaller. In the meantime he's in a lot of pain so they installed a morphine pump that sends a constant morphine.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
Hugs and prayers to you and your family Esther.   o(:-)   :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"