Author Topic: When do Herons migrate?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
When do Herons migrate?
« on: December 05, 2008, 04:09:53 AM »
I am pretty sure they leave Michigan in winter, but I have seen 2 this week (not in my pond). We have had very cold temps early this year and lots of snow so I was surprised to see them still around. I have noticed some streams not frozen over so they must be able to get food.
Kathy

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: When do Herons migrate?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »
I looked up Heron migration. In Michigan they stay year round. Here in CT also :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
Herons and egrets here do not know what migration means... >:(

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
Around here, they 'migrate' to another pond when their bellies aren't full yet.  lol

sorry.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
Around here, they 'migrate' to another pond when their bellies aren't full yet.  lol

sorry.
or when ever the crazy pond owner catches them stealing fish...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Vickie

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
That is why I cover my ponds in the winter. All but 1/3 of the entire pond is under plastic and my fish are safe.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »

sorry.

lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »
Saw one about a week ago flying. Most water is frozen up tight around here. Wonder where they eat in the winter.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »
I have not seen any here for quite sometime, everything is frozen here also.  There could be some natural spring feed ponds that stay open longer, or the rivers.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »
My son saw one again today. I hadn't ever noticed them in winter before. Didn't know they stay all year.
See ya learn something new every day!
Kathy

Offline tootsie

• Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
Yesterday upon scouring the pond from the back door, I did notice cracks forming an odd pattern ? About a month ago, I was driving around and down from the corner of where the pond is and happened to look out my car window only to see a huge grouping of HERONS :o I must have counted 100 or so! It was an open field and there they were in large groups of about 15-20 each. ACK, if only I had one of those, what were they called tommy guns, or scatter guns, marshmallow shooters... {:-P;;

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 11:36:44 AM »
only to see a huge grouping of HERONS Shocked I must have counted 100 or so! It was an open field and there they were in large groups of about 15-20 each.

:o :o :o  Wow!  That is a scary sight and so close to your pond!  You're thinking like me (bb gun) when I see the murder of crows in our neighborhood.  they don't mess with the pond but when they fly over in mass they poop everywhere, including the pond.  I run for cover when they do the fly over.  >:(-

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
They don't migrate in some places, like here. Right now...

Posted at Koiphen, a migration map....

8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
The map didn't show Joyce. I bet you wished you had your pea shooter when you saw that guy in the pond.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »
Actually I have a CO2 BB gun that I usually use to 'ping' their tail feathers.
I brought it home to 'Ping' deer.  ;)
Here's the map downloaded from Koiphen and uploaded into my Photobucket album.

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »
Ackkkk, I started to itch just looking at that darn heron in your pond >:( The are so bold and brave!! I unknowingly walked right up to one that was hidden by the cat tails around the pond! I was talking to one of the DNR officers {-), something moved, when I looked down, there was the rotten thing, I think the dang thing knew that I could not touch him for the moment >:(- I kept my eye on him for about an hour as he sneaked about the reeds and such, lurking for a tasty morsel When the DNR guy left, I backed up and there was the 9ft. metal pole, I had it in my hand and my boots were on, so I waded into the water ever so slowly, and wham, of course I missed him by a mile, but he flew up into one of the taller trees! Those buggars will wait you out!! I have been out there this summer, and the darn things will scare, fly up into the huge pines and wait for you to leave, but this summer they just dare you to get too close to them!! That is how bold they have become >:(- When I am walking around the pond in the summer,  I see the Koi all in a row like little ducks watching me walking waiting to see if I have their food, LOL I raise my voice and bang those aluminum pans together so they will get down into the deep (14-16ft.)water, but now we have the darn cormorants, and as you know they go diving to get their meals! I have followed them and see where they make their nests, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, up in the huge pine trees on the property :( Anyone else have those evil destroyers of the pond?

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »
Tootsie, be really careful getting to close to a heron! We met a guy that had attended a pond seminar and the instructor had his eye pecked by a heron! He got too close trying to get a picture and before he knew it BLAM! Those suckers are FAST, you won't even see it coming (oops, no pun intended)

I have had them land in the big pines right behind me while Matt adn i were workign in our pond. I HEARD it land. Now tell me, when was the last time you HEARD a bird land?! They don't usually make noise, but these guys are BIG and when they land, you hear them!!
Kathy

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
Well, holy horse houves!!! Thanks for the heads up :) I had no idea they attack! Now that I think about it, the other birds, if you get just too close to their nests, WHAMMMMMMMMMM, they do the hair dive! No kidding, there was a black winged blackbird, justa bombing me on my head with it's wings >:(- No matter if I was on the opposite side of the pond, if that bird could see me, it just went  "NUTS". Also those darn Bullheads, why don't the herons eat those?? I used my nets and tried as I might, there are still many of those darn things left in the pond! The DNR fella suggested that I just use some chemical to kill everything in the pond to get rid of them, but there is no way I am ever going to kill my Koi and little frogs o( Well, there is an occational snake swimming in it tho, UGH!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
That is one beauty of a pond!! No wonder the herons like to visit you!
Kathy

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 06:59:13 AM »
Well Thank You :) I just love the pond, I really do :) I have a log swing  that sits at the ponds edge, which allows me to see the fish, but they can't see me {:-P;; Before the frost came along ,I tried pulling some of the weeds and yuck treelings out near the shallow part of the pond, so when they want to" BUMP AND GRIND," I will be able to  keep them from jumping out of the pond onto the grass {-) I may even go this afternoon and chop a few holes in the ice :)I did that last yr, too :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
I thought that the concussion of breaking the ice was highly disturbing to the fish.

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 08:27:21 PM »
Hi Esther,
E-gads, I don't think it bothers the fish. I have never noticed any confusion or strange behavior in the spring. I will chop one or two small holes in the shallow part, but all the fish go down into the deep (14-16ft.) end and stay there all winter. I know this as I have shoveled away all the snow and have tried to see any fish that may have gotten to the top of the pond on the shallow side. Perhaps a small or shallow pond might have that affect? o(

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 10:52:57 AM »
I didn't think it bothered the fish if they were in a mud pond ?
Is that a mud pond tootsie ? It's a nice size !

bonnie

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
Yes, it has a clay bottom, well the whole thing is clay :) I have had my tall boots on and walked one step and then the other starting at the shallow end. I am hanging onto a shove, No kidding I can't swim, really, I tried for years, all I had to do was just think a thought of fright, and down to davey jones locker, or somewhere in that area o( We were able to get a  hydro unit and dig the pond deeper and wider :) Last year I thought it was a goner!! More than 3/4 of the water had evaporated as we had very little rain, it was so hot, hot, hot. Thank goodness the pondgoddess was here in the spring and called for all the rain, WOWZER, did we get rain!! The pond was filled and overflowing onto the grass! I do not take very good pictures, but here are a few.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »
It looks like a country pond, where you'd catch crappie and bluegill.  So it's really eye-catching when you see the bright orange koi at the surface.

Do you have other kinds of fish, or just koi and goldfish?

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
Well, I know I purchased some Koi a few times :) Then someone put baby perch in the pond >:(- Then I found baby blue gill in there, I am thinking the ducks maybe carried the eggs in. I did find 2 baby goldfish in there, maybe from a pond plant, but I do wash all plants before they get in the pond! The darn bullheads are EVERYWHERE!! I scouped lots and lots of the bbies out, and even got an adult one, boy what a time that was! It kept on teasing me, all I could see were the tiny cattails slightly moving, I was determined to get one of those buggars, and finally I did :)))))))))))))))))))))))  @O@

Offline Rick

• Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
Just reading the title.
When do herons migrate? When you buy a nice fish.
Where? To you pond
 :swear:
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »
Is that Bay City, Texas?

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
Nahhhhhhhhhh, Bay City, Michigan lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"