Author Topic: Photo Journal: 12/27/08  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Photo Journal: 12/27/08
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »
Jamie and I took a ride to 'Knowhere' today.
Modus operandi to go where we haven't been before and take pix.
Only went 15 miles back and forth, and stopped off at a friends on the way for cappucino and hot coco.
Was misty-foggy-balmy today, not cold, although damp. Very east end LI...fog rolls in so fast you don't have much time before 0 visibility. :o

Around 3:20: The fog was rolling in from all directions...
We thought the pilings were boats called 'Junks' at first, until we got closer and the fog wasn't so thick.

Right across the road, there was an osprey platform, abandoned for now, since they migrate to Cuba and Puerto Rico for the winter.

Then we saw this HUGE Bird Of Prey at the edge of the road, eating fresh roadkill.

Close up zoom was really fuzzy but didn't want to scare him away.

And took this photo for our resident turtle lover Teresa...

Then we got our arses home before the fog closed in tight.  :o

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:43:00 PM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Journal: 12/27/08
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »
That looked like a great trip to 'knowhere'.  Thanks for sharing. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
Thanks for the photo journal!  I especially loved the pics of the red-tailed hawk: they are one of my very favorite birds.  I had one flying right by my window as I went down my road one day, for several yards--they he swooped up and lit on an electric line and looked down at me.  I stopped the car to look at him and the hair stood up on my head I swear; it was a moment I'll never forget  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
Thanks Joyce for taking us along on your photo journey. The fog can be scarey at times. It is even foggy here today so must be after it rolled in, it kept rolling northwest. The hawk was impressive.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:12:24 PM »

what pretty pics!

Kevin and I used to take lots of "trips to nowhere" on Long Island. Didn't matter where it was, as long as it was someplace where we'd never been. We discovered an abandoned fish pond in St. James that had goldfish in there that must have been there for years. Rhododendron Road was also interesting, although I can't remember what town that was in. Maybe Stony Brook. They were the tallest Rhododendrons I've ever seen.. just beautiful.
Then there was an abandoned mansion we used to visit in Smithtown, but I guess it got raised for a subdivision. When we visited you in '05, it was gone. We also used to drive around King's Park psychiatric facility. That was scary... all those abandoned buildings in such a beautiful setting. I wonder if they ever did anything with that place?

We explore around here, but the kids have a short fuse with each other in the car. I never think to take the camera, but there are lots of interesting things around here that I should photograph. I wanted to photograph an interesting outbuilding on a farm that was painted wild-and-crazy, but I did not get the chance and now it's gone.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:54:29 PM »
Thanks, Joyce, for sharing your trip to nowhere!  You caught some interesting sights.

Offline LBAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:47:52 AM »
Karen J- Kings Park psychiatric facility is still sitting empty. My oldest DD and friends drive out there especially near Halloween as everyone hears stories that it's haunted. My younger DD plays soccer over there. They lease out some of the land for soccer fields. It's a little creepy I think seeing those buildings looming in the background.

Joyce- Someplace in Orient that I'll never find again is a burial ground of a white family and their slaves. My aunt and I stumbled on it when I was around 9 doing the same thing you and Jaime were doing. It was pretty cool. That was way back when Lyme disease wasn't even heard of so walking in the woods and reeds were fun!

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
Ghost Hunters should go there. (King's Park PF)

There are a LOT of old burial grounds all over the North Fork.
Especially Indian burial grounds.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »
Nice pictures Joyce, I especially like the first one.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"