Author Topic: Ian's chess set  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ian's chess set
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:23:25 AM »
My X husband was an industrial arts teacher and quite proficient with wood and automotive. He enjoyed playing chess. I had a friend who did ceramics so in 1973 I bought and painted a chess set for him. He then made a box  to house the pieces but never put a sealant on the wood or made the supports for the interior to hold the pieces. When he left, he didn't take the box. It has sat on a shelf in the basement ever since.

When we were up at Kevin and Dawn's I learned that Ian played chess and DING, I decided to get that box out and see if Pete and I could complete it. We bought some 1/4" birch plywood and cut 4 12" square pieces. It took forever for Pete to decide how to cut holes in two of the pieces so it would hold all of the chess pieces. He had to do two exactly alike and put doweling legs between the layers. The two layers don't look like they line up but it is the camera angle I guess because they do.

Then I noticed there was one 12" piece left over and decided to make a chess board out of it. I covered the board with painter's tape, measured and marked the squares, used a metal straight edge to slice through the tape, and then carefully removed every other tape square with an exacto knife tip.  Then I used a stencil paint stick and stenciled the exposed squares with a rust color. I was happy to find when I took all the tape off that the edges were very straight and smooth. I began putting layer after layer of poly on it and the box, steelwooling in between layers. I used a tack cloth and was careful to not leave any dust on it so it turned out very smooth and nice. Then I put a piece of stiff green felt on the back. 

I wrote up a big explanation and story of this special chess set for Ian so he would know how much time had passed since Grandpa Lyle had made the box and the work Grandpa and I had put into it, just for him.

Tonight, Ian set about teaching Eliana to play chess. He was surprised at how quickly she picked it up.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ian's chess set
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »
Nice work!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »
Great job.  I love the look of concentration on Eliana's face.

Years ago, we found individual wooden tv trays and painted a checkerboard on the top of them.  We made the checkers and I sewed a little cloth drawstring bag to hold them that tied onto the tray.  We gave them to my neices and nephews for Christmas.  Ten years later, I was at the neices house for her high school graduation and she still had that checkerboard in her room.  Ours was a lot simpler than yours.  Yours will hopefully be handed down for years to come.  The wood in the box is beautiful.

Karen

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »
Esther,

Very impressive,  O0, and good thinking.
Another of your projects that turned out beautiful o(:-)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
Very Nice Esther!

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:35:22 AM »
A thoughtful and special present for Ian.  What a lot of work, it turned out just great!
emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"