Author Topic: What is this stuff in my pond?!  (Read 1186 times)

Offline PBSJones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What is this stuff in my pond?!
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
I've been noticing small, floating patches of what looks like fine dirt or dust on my pond surface.  I scooped some out today, and it was moving! Eww!  Little things that looked like miniature fleas were jumping onto my hand from the net.  What the --?  I'm not finding it in my other pond, or in the birdbath.  Please, don't tell me that it's a voracious koi parasite and that my fishies will be skeletons by next week!  Unless, you know, that's what it is...

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What is this stuff in my pond?!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
No sounds like a larve of some kind.....maybe mosquito, or some type of fly.....if you had a pictue it might be easier to identify.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PBSJones

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
They were so tiny, I hadn't even noticed they were alive the first time I scooped; I doubt that my camera would pick them up.  The critters are about the size of this period.  At first, I thought it was dust that had sifted through the screen I had put over the pond to keep out pine needles that could get through the net, but the screen has been off for over a week, and there are more patches, so this time I looked more closely.  The "dust" seems to be the husks of eggs/cocoons, and there were tiny white squiggly things as well as the "flea" things.  I'll see if I can get a picture of the patches.  Too bad I scooped them all out this morning!

Edit:  I tried to find them online; Daphnia (water flea) came up, but I don't think that's what they are...they seem too solid and black, compared to pictures of nearly transparent water fleas.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:33:18 PM by PBSJones »

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »
What color were they? sounds like water fleas or daphnia. Harmless to fish. They are a food for small fish.  :ok: a good bug so to speak. Good sing that spring is not far off. O0
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
I wonder why the fish aren't eating them. 

In my pond right now, the lily pads are hosting some little bugs, a bit smaller than the periods on this page.  But those are typical plant/pond bugs, and nothing squiggly like you describe.  I don't know what it could be. 

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »
There is a tiny little black bud that is much like a flea called a Collembola. could be your bug still harmless to fish hops around on the wayer and eats vegies. ;)
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Offline PBSJones

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:33 AM »
Podura aquatica!  Found it during a search for collembola (thanks, Pond Lady!)  The website that I found (http://bugguide.net/node/view/46064) actually had a picture of a floating patch that looks just like the ones I was taking yesterday.

Thanks, guys!  I know my fishies are safe.  And if it wasn't still so cold, they might be eating the critters.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"