Author Topic: Deer Soup!  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Deer Soup!
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »
Actually: Pea Soup for the Deer Lover's Soul... :harhar:

Froze some *overdue* Pea Soup out on the deck, then flipped it upsidedown under the bird feeder tree to give the birds some extra energy food during this cold snap...
and look what happened 5 minutes later...

This is the Momma Doe, she has some kind of hind end injury (car strike?), has a bad limp...but I am pretty sure she is pregnant again.

Another shot...

This is a really bad photo cuz I was using Jamie's camera through the window and the flash went off...but here are the 2 yearlings, about 10 feet away from momma eating soup. They had already tried the soup, didn't like it too much, and were waiting for Momma Doe to get her fill. There is one female yearling and one male yearling.

The 3 deer took off, and now we have dozens of seagulls out there. DOubt there will be any left by sundown.
 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Deer Soup!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »
 o(:-) I love wild things in my yard!  It's cool she likes pea soup (something green probably tastes like heaven to her)  :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »
Had a fox dating about. Probably looking for our neighbors chickens. No pix. Was too engrossed. Told everyone in the house: LOOK!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »
I think the pics turned out just fine.....I know we have them here, the tree damage is a good telltale as are all the hoof prints around the pond, I just never get a chance to see them.   Thanks for sharing.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:40:33 PM »
Cool picture Joyce, but come spring what are you going to do about them eating your hosta's?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
My hostas are fenced in. Going to expand the fenced in area in a big way.  8)

There are 2 deer out there now...licking the spot where the soup used to be.  ;D
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
I thought you had a deer soup recipe. I made deer soup last week. (for humans)  O0 

My yard has been full of turkey by day, (two flocks, 28 in all) and deer by night, (and day off and on) Dh has been feeding them well. It's been so cold here and we feel so sorry for them. Poor turkey will stand in one spot with one foot tucked up underneath them trying to warm it.  :'( 

Today after the turkey left dh went out to the top of the yard with the bucket and tossed the corn. Then he went to the lower end of the yard to fill the bird feeders and the turkey came running. They didn't care he was out there.  8)

Being we feed them so well you'd think they would leave my Azaleas alone, but they haven't. The whole top row of them are wiped clean of buds.  >:(-   There were 6 out there night before last.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »
Great pictures!  I love watching the deer in the woods when there is snow on the ground.  Every time we go in or out our drive we count to see how many we can find laying in the woods. 
I was expecting a pot of soup too.  We have been eating a lot of venison this winter. The one hubby got this fall was extra good!

Karen

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »
Nice!! I really miss living in the mountains where we had lots of wildlife.

I did surprise a doe a few nights ago when I went outside to my car. It had apparantly found my large stock tank pond and had stopped to get a drink.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 01:26:07 PM »
Hey Joice how do you keep the deer from eating your lilys.      I have electric fence around all of my ponds otherwise the deer would wipe out all of my lilys.   I have seen them eating lilies with there noses under water up to there eyes.   Like a moose.   That'll make you eat deer meat !   Maybe that's why your deer limps?    I cooked deer burgers on my new water heater yesterday.  It's great to sit in a warm greenhouse with my feet up to the fire and eat deer burger in a snow storm while the pools radiate heat and the tropicals start to bloom.      It only takes 1 electric fence wire just low enough so they cant go under to keep them out.   They will not jump over the wire into the water.   Once they're trained the fence can be turned off and they will still stay out. I hardly ever turn on my fence, only when I see damage.  And even then it's only at places where the fence is to high and a fawn will get under because it's not trained yet.    Put a wad of aluminum foil on the wire and spread peanut butter on the foil during training and I guarantee that they will stay away from your lilies, and never eat peanut butter again !     They might tear up something else in your yard or your neighbors yard as they run away,FAST.    Mike.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 02:00:21 PM »
 lol What a surprise!  Before I read your words I saw the first photo and thought the worst...Joyce out there shooting deer for soup!  :D

I get it now!  That's fabulous that you have wildlife coming up to your home in the winter in all that snow.  Surely it's not so cool in the Spring when your garden is growing.

Very Cool!  O0

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »
I thought the exact thing Annette. Thought - "and then followed by raccoon pie".

Great photos Joyce.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:03:20 AM »
Thanks everyone!  8)

Nancy, we have wild turkeys here too, but they are so tame they are obnoxious.
Some idiot must be feeding them.
A couple weeks ago a whole group of them chased me across the parking lot at my favorite deli when I stopped for lunch.
Funny thing was, I picked up a turkey sandwich! They were wanting whatever was in the bag.
Here in my own backyard, they aren't so tame. Plus we have pheasant and quail.

There are several out there now grazing where the snow has finally melted off the lawn.

turtlemike , it's JoYce.   (8:-)
The deer eat the lilies, start with the blooms first. But they seem to only do this when the pond dries out a bit and they can wade in deeper.
Anyway, doesn't happen too much because we try to keep the mud ponds topped off.
I do not want the ugliness of an electric fence (or any fence) near my ponds.
My container ponds here are mostly in barrels, and I use a deer spray on the wooden sides about once every 2 weeks to keep 'em away.
The other container ponds get deer spray directly in the water and on the plants.

Like I said before, once I get my new pond built here at our new house, the back yard will be fenced in, but tastefully and no where near the pond. 8)

I do shoot the deer though...with a S&W air pistol...only if they are yanking down the birdfeeder or up on my deck or porch eating my potted plants.
Yes, they get up on the deck and porch and graze!
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 10:18:49 AM »
My dh would be in heaven if the deer got up on our deck.  lol

We feed the animals including turkey all year round, but they have not gotten as tame as to chase anyone. They will come out of the woods and stay at the top level and eat if we are quiet on the deck. And once in a while one or two will go to the birdfeeders while we're on the deck, but they have never chased us. LOL I watched them the other day chase a cat across the yard.  lol

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »
Sorry for misspelling your name JoYce !      Hopefully this picture will make up for my mistake.              Mike.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"