Author Topic: Benefits of MediKoi Feed?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Benefits of MediKoi Feed?
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »
In my thread about injured fish, someone mentioned using MediKoi food.

Any info on what that stuff is, and what it does?

Thanks

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits of MediKoi Feed?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:03:26 PM »
We actually have some Medi-Koi food and another brand, Metro Med (from Aqua Meds.  I had kind of forgotten about it until you asked.  Medi-Koi supposedly has ingredients that treat bacterial & fungal infections.  Metro Med treats symptoms of Dropsy, energizes inactive fish and eliminates deadly tape worm.  I am taking this info straight from the packages.  Both are sinking foods.  You are supposed to feed with thiese for 10-14 days.  However, we usually don't feed it to any but the fish we might have in quarantine, but don't ask me why.  Maybe I should just do a pkg in the spring of every year, or feed all the fish in the pond with this if we get one fish with disease in quarantine.  Don't know if that helps you because when we use the food we are also doing at least PimaFix & MelaFix at the same time so don't know which thing does the cure.

Casey 

Offline Kris

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:03:15 PM »
I've never done PimaFix or MelaFix, but I do use Medi-Koi after last winter.  I noticed that it really improved the health of my sick fish.  I fed it mixed in with the regular food last spring & fall to give the fish a boost before the cold weather.  I was happy with the results that I was able to achieve with the fish that had soem open ulcers.  The ulcers closed up & healed over cleanly.  It also seemed to perk up the poor guy's appetite & he was eating normally within a few days. 

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:32:54 AM »
I think it has it's place and I have used it before also.  I would not feed it all the time, MO just as antibiotics are over used  in humans and have created strains of bacteria that are harder to fight, I wonder if the same could be true with animals.  Yes if there is an injury or sickness use it for the ten days recommended.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:45:46 AM »
i used it when i had fish die....and it worked great plus i used the 14 day medicine to put in water...lorraine
lorraine

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:38:44 PM »
I was able to fish out the injured koi this morning.  He's swimming and eating, but man, that wound looks bad!  It goes well past the scales, down into the pink flesh.

Isolated him in a salted tank, gave him a hiding place, and got some medicated food.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
Sounds like it could be an ulcer, do you have a picture?....... Start with a low salt level and work up that is best.  Did you clean/debribe the wound....iodine but only once.  They do make an antibiotic ointment Debride that is good but pricey and a bath treatment TricideNeo that I know of people that have used and it was helpful.  Koi are a social fish and will do better if they have company...so if you have a little goldfish to add that would be good.  Make sure your water conditions stay good ammonia can happen quickly in a new setup and with stressed fish.  It's good that he's eating so yes I would feed the medicated food.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"