Author Topic: A bouquet  (Read 944 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A bouquet
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »
Flowers gathered in the morning in order to make a pollen mixture of mexicana cross pollen from breeders and contenders for pollination of unlabeled crosses with labeled pod parents.   Each flower from a different plant.                Mike.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:32:06 PM by turtlemike »

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A bouquet
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
OMG, to have that many blooming lilies!!

Beautiful, soft colors.

Maybe you can explain this cross pollenation process... how you are mixing pollens from several plants to get a preferred color.   

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:50:34 PM »
Gorgous, that would make a beautiful painting...the color pallet is beautiful together.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
Hi Julles, as well as making crosses where I know exactly who both parents are I mix pollens of plants that I like and consider to be contenders or breeders and pollinate other plants that I like.     then I label the pods as " whatever  x  whatever mix.    That way I know who is pod parent but not pollen parent.     I make a trade-off, I loose knowledge of who the pollen parent is but I gain crosses that I just wouldn't have time for otherwise.   most of the crosses I deal with these days are very picky about who they will cross with and mixing pollens is there way of "speed dating".  Maybe only 3 pollens out of 50 will cross I just won't know which 3 it is.  But I don't have to do all of the different labels and bagging of flowers for pollen etc. because I'm not that worried about pollen purity.     These crosses are basically the same as bee crosses but I am the bee and have just a little more control.    I go out very early and bag the first day flowers to beat most of the bees and after pollinating I bag the flowers to keep bees out.  I only do this a couple of times a summer mostly I do controlled crosses.         Mike.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"