Author Topic: Golds for a new pond  (Read 1257 times)

Offline miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Golds for a new pond
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »
Hi all I am going to build a goldfish pond this summer . For pond plants and goldfish .Just fancys lionheads orandas etc .My ( new ) pond is going to be aprox 8 x 12 x 2.5 . I all ready have most of the matereals from my pond redo this winter . Is there  a good place to buy goldish young at a reasonable price . I am sure this thing will hold 8 to 10 . I will put my pond plants that was removed from the koi ponds and build a new filter from 2 -55 gal barrels and a 3000 gph pump . Will they live outside  all winter if I keep water min at 60 ?

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Golds for a new pond
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »
 8)
I have goldfish
Thanks,
Rich

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:05:49 AM »
Really fancy goldfish are not very good pond fish. They don't swim well and are easy prey wiggling around at the top of the pond. They are also prone to swim bladder problems in deep water and any with fleshy growths or protruding eyes are easily damaged. I highly encourage you to have more hardy goldfish varieties. Shubunkins, comets, wakins are much easier and safer.

They can live outside year'round in climates with occasional snow so no need to heat your pond to 60* in winter. Mine are fine here outside with just the waterfall running to keep the ice open.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »
I'd suggest you go to the local pet or fish store and get a few "feeder" goldfish first, to see how they do in your pond.  They're usually about 12c-25c, so you're not risking big dollars there, and you can get white or spotted ones, not just plain orange.  And they grow just as large as fancy schmancy comets that cost $4.

When you're ready to spend more money, Sarasas are nice, because they have long flowing tails and fins.  And Shubunkins have wonderful spots and speckles all over them.

I do have fantails, including orandas and black moores in my pond, and they have grown and done well.  They ARE slow swimmers, though.  I have screen covers over the pond, especially the "corral" where these guys are kept.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
Maybe a few 3-4" koi may not be bad either...
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »
You're being funny Rick, right?

I used to have a few fantail fish and you are right that they are more easily picked off by the Heron. He got my Wakins too.

Offline miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »
Hi gals and guys ! Rick this is just for goldies .My other ponds Have the koi. Butterfly and regular fin . This past fall We got 2 cool danichi kohaku . This year mabey a couple more . I will use a few small koi to cycle the pond and seed with filter media from the other pond . I covered one of my ponds this winter  .I only had to use my heater a few days to hold 55 to 60 . The sarasas and shubinkins are cool but I really would love to have some calaco orandas cralling along. Mabey make the pond more like 2 ft deep ?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »
I have goldfish, including fantails and a black moore, in my 30" deep pond, with one section that goes to 36".    The fish are fine.

I know it was stated that deep water is bad for these specialty fish, but, wouldn't a fish be smart enough to avoid swimming deeper than is safe for him?

One problem with a shallow pond, Miller, is that it is more prone to temperature fluctuations.  I've always thought that the deeper you could make your pond, the better for the fish.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »
The deeper you make your pond the better for pond fish. Fancy goldfish aren't really pond fish. Wakins at least swim like comets even though they have fan tails.

For every person who has posted that theirs have been happy and healthy for many years I've read dozens of posts by people who lost theirs to swim bladder disease or constipation, predators (myself included) or ulcers from their fancy eyes or whatever those things are called on their heads (wens?) getting damaged.

The problems are worse when they are kept in mixed company with faster swimming types like comets and shubunkins. They are out competed for food and can be easily damaged during spawning.

If you are going to keep fancies in a pond I highly advise keeping them alone, having a cover over the pond, shallow pond, no jagged rocks, branches etc. Keep everything smooth.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"